The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Womens D-I (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59543-womens-d-i.html)

CDurham Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:34am

Womens D-I

I have my first Womens Division I srimmage in a few weeks and am making the switch from high school. Any tips or pointers? Thanks

IREFU2 Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:44am

Stay in your primary.....stay humble and be a good partner.

tref Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:53am

As lead the 3 in the corner is yours, no b/c count, closely guarded is 3' when holding the ball.
And if the situation dictates you to call out of your PCA, follow the 3 Bs:
Be late
Be needed
Be right

Scrapper1 Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:04pm

I would also suggest taking a look at the Women's Points of Emphasis for the current season. You'll do the teams a favor if you call the POEs, since it will help prepare them for the regular season.

GoodwillRef Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDurham (Post 698074)
I have my first Womens Division I srimmage in a few weeks and am making the switch from high school. Any tips or pointers? Thanks

Do you currently work women's college ball? The women's college game is much different than the men's game and high school. Way too much to know to get all in a post.

GoodwillRef Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:10pm

I still baffles me why schools or assigners don't get women's college officials to work scrimmages...the players need to know how we are going to call the game and using officials that don't know the women's game isn't helping anyone.

Scrapper1 Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 698089)
I still baffles me why schools or assigners don't get women's college officials to work scrimmages

It baffles you? Really? Let me give you a hint. . . $

:)

GoodwillRef Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2 (Post 698078)
Stay in your primary.....stay humble and be a good partner.

Women's officials are not as territorial as men's officials...working you secondary and realizing that you may have the best look but may be the farthest away from the call is acceptable in women's hoops. Getting the call right is what is most important.

GoodwillRef Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 698090)
It baffles you? Really? Let me give you a hint. . . $

:)

Money how?

Scrapper1 Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 698094)
Money how?

I have already had a scrimmage cancelled (not at the D1 level, obviously) because the school didn't want to pay for the officials.

GoodwillRef Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 698095)
I have already had a scrimmage cancelled (not at the D1 level, obviously) because the school didn't want to pay for the officials.

I have paid and unpaid scrimmage...we need to realize that as professionals we need to get on the court before the season and if that means working one for free than that is what it takes. Don't get me wrong we should be getting paid something in a ideal world.

JRutledge Tue Oct 26, 2010 01:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 698092)
Women's officials are not as territorial as men's officials...working you secondary and realizing that you may have the best look but may be the farthest away from the call is acceptable in women's hoops. Getting the call right is what is most important.

I think this is one of those myths that women's officials want to claim so they can justify why they are doing Women's ball rather than men's ball. Not true at all. I have worked with D1 guys at the lower college level and never had a problem with calling in my secondary or having them get upset if I or another partner saw something. Actually almost every pre-game I have had at the college level the officials are much easier to work with than high school officials for the reason they put a premium on working as a team. And the very brief time I worked Women's ball to act like there are no egos is silly.

Peace

Scrapper1 Tue Oct 26, 2010 01:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 698096)
I have paid and unpaid scrimmage...

Give yourself a pat on the back. So do I. But some conferences have a rule that if they scrimmage an interscholastic opponent, they must use a regular paid crew. If they scrimmage intra-squad, then they can get CYO refs for free if they want. And so, rather than pay officials for that "regular" scrimmage, they go intra-squad and get whoever is local and will work for free.

Scrapper1 Tue Oct 26, 2010 01:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 698115)
I think this is one of those myths

I was going to say this as well, but didn't want to start a fight. I go to a Men's D1 tryout every year (I'll never get in, but I know the assignor from camp and I like him, so I go). Every year, he says "I don't care what your mechanics look like. I don't care if your positioning is off by a few feet. Just do me a favor and get. . . the [bleep]ing. . . call. . . right."

dahoopref Tue Oct 26, 2010 01:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 698118)
I was going to say this as well, but didn't want to start a fight. I go to a Men's D1 tryout every year (I'll never get in, but I know the assignor from camp and I like him, so I go). Every year, he says "I don't care what your mechanics look like. I don't care if your positioning is off by a few feet. Just do me a favor and get. . . the [bleep]ing. . . call. . . right."

This is one of the things that John Adams is trying to correct and I (respectfully of course ;) ) must disagree with your assignor. But I understand that you must do what your assignor tells you to do.

Adams is trying his best to get all officials "on the same page" and be uniform when it comes to floor work. It is the thinking of your assignor that is detriment of what Adams is attempting to do.