Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 03:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
So what would happen if a parent or other spectator mentions to you about a player being in the game with an illegal item? Are you going to tell them the same thing? "It's none of your concern, just watch the game".

Show me documentation otherwise that says that the table crew are not part of the officiating crew then your argument MIGHT stand a chance.
1) I wouldn't even say that to them. I pay no attention to what comes from the stands.

2) Have you ever read 2-11 or 2-12? Show me where it gives you all these powers you seem to think it gives you.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 04:30am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Ho Hum....

I purposely avoided "the Eagle" confrontation, but knew others would pick up the chase......
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 04:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I purposely avoided "the Eagle" confrontation, but knew others would pick up the chase......
Never actually took part in one so I decided to give it a shot today
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 05:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsman1288 View Post
1) I wouldn't even say that to them. I pay no attention to what comes from the stands.

2) Have you ever read 2-11 or 2-12? Show me where it gives you all these powers you seem to think it gives you.
So what if that parent gets overly irate at you for not allowing their child to play? (comes out of the stands & gets in face or raises such a ruckus play has to be suspended)

No where am I saying "All powerful", everything I have done is as an assistance to the floor officials, not a hinderance. I always review things in my mind before doing them. I know how not to overstep the boundaries.

Last edited by chseagle; Wed Oct 20, 2010 at 05:39am.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 05:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

2-11 & 2-12 talk about duties only, not responsibilities. An official (no matter if they're on the field of play or off the field) has a responsibility to safety/security of those participating in the contest (no matter a player, coach/bench personnel, or fans).
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 05:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Feel free to join in, the more the merrier LMAO
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 05:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So what if that parent gets overly irate at you for not allowing their child to play? (comes out of the stands & gets in face or raises such a ruckus play has to be suspended).
So officials are now supposed to answer questions/comments/concerns from the stands on why little Johnny/Sally didn't get to play? That's the coaches job, not ours. Or did I miss that POE this year? If they do decide to do something that dumb, it's bye-bye for them.

While you may think you're being helpful, IMO you're being an annoyance by overstepping your duties. Let us do our job, and you do yours. If you're so concerned with everything else, step out on the floor and put on the stripes and a whistle. I would be more than happy to work a game with you.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 06:21am
Esteemed Forum Member

Parents Can Sometimes Help ...

Quote:
I pay no attention to what comes from the stands.
So after you whistle a violation, and start bringing in substitutes from the table, when parents in the bleachers start saying, "Clock, clock, clock", you're not going to look up at the clock to realize that it hadn't stopped when the violation occurred?

C'mon. Let's be honest.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 06:24am
Official Forum Member

Billy,

You're right. I should have said 99% of what comes from the stands. I stand corrected.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So officials are now supposed to answer questions/comments/concerns from the stands on why little Johnny/Sally didn't get to play? That's the coaches job, not ours. Or did I miss that POE this year? If they do decide to do something that dumb, it's bye-bye for them.

While you may think you're being helpful, IMO you're being an annoyance by overstepping your duties. Let us do our job, and you do yours. If you're so concerned with everything else, step out on the floor and put on the stripes and a whistle. I would be more than happy to work a game with you.
I would love to be a floor official, however thanks to an incident last January I am unable to physically do the duties required.

The times I have assisted on situations like with the bobbie pins I have been thanked by the floor officials. These happenings are few & far between, on average maybe only once a season. Majority of the time for me, it's telling the scorer & visiting book that they need to be impartial or that they need to pay more attention to the game than talking to their friends.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Personally I would appreciate the help. In my other primary sport we often ask the people at the "table" to look for illegal equipment and jersey tuck when the player approaches and tells them the number of the player they are replacing. For me it prevents delay, I always check the incoming player, should they be illegally or improperly equipped, I have to take the time to disallow the substitution. When I delegate to the table to "pre-screen" the players I have fewer delays and less "perturbed" players and coaches from disallowing the sub.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 12:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
So after you whistle a violation, and start bringing in substitutes from the table, when parents in the bleachers start saying, "Clock, clock, clock", you're not going to look up at the clock to realize that it hadn't stopped when the violation occurred?

C'mon. Let's be honest.
C'mon Billy, I am not listening to a fan about the clock. I am not putting time based on the fan or what they are complaining about. If you do you will get it wrong most times as they do not know the rule or the reason you are changing the clock. If that is your position, then do you call a travel because a parent complains there is a travel too?

Peace
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 12:38pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
So what if that parent gets overly irate at you for not allowing their child to play? (comes out of the stands & gets in face or raises such a ruckus play has to be suspended)
Now that's when I expect security/crowd control to step in and wrestle this offender to the ground. At this point an inspection for illegal hair pins can also be performed on this person, just in case.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Chseagle--you are not a game official...

...You are a Table Official. Numerous posters on this board have told you you are not a game official (referee/umpire) who wears a striped shirt, whistle, and lanyard. You are a table official (scorer or timer.) Kingsman1288strongly suggested that you read/study/adhere to rule 2-11 and 2-12. Those rules detail your duties and responsibilities. You are not a game official until you are able to take a rules test, pass a floor test, and start running up and down a gym floor. Let the people who have studied the rules, passed the tests, and know how to apply the rules by reffing many games do the officiating. The guys in the stripes with the whistles have their jobs to do and you have your jobs to do as the scorer, timer, crowd control person, etc. Concentrate on you jobs.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 02:46pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Now that's when I expect security/crowd control to step in and wrestle this offender to the ground. At this point an inspection for illegal hair pins can also be performed on this person, just in case.
Personally I think that the dedicated table officials like chseagles should be issued tasers. It can be used at his own discretion on players with illegal equipment, officials who won't follow his direction, etc.