The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   visible counts (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/59399-visible-counts.html)

Upward ref Mon Oct 18, 2010 09:56am

visible counts

Is the three second lane violation given a visible count ? If not ,is it the only count that is not visible ? seems like I've read it somewhere, but can't find it now.

JRutledge Mon Oct 18, 2010 09:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Upward ref (Post 696812)
Is the three second lane violation given a visible count ?

Hecky no.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Upward ref (Post 696812)
If not ,is it the only count that is not visible ? seems like I've read it somewhere, but can't find it now.

Yes it is.

Peace

tref Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:01am

2-7-9

Upward ref Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 696814)
2-7-9

thanks, whats the reasoning? we're too busy ?

tref Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Upward ref (Post 696822)

Not sure, I never asked why... thinking about it, perhaps its because of the allowance we give a player who catches the ball after being in the lane for a couple counts??

JRutledge Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Upward ref (Post 696822)

I do not know for sure, but how can anyone tell between a 5 closely guarded count and a 3 second count? Considering that the overall philosophy to call 3 seconds is based on something that most people would not know anyway as the count stops and starts very quickly all the time, I do not see why you would want that count.

Peace

Upward ref Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 696823)
Not sure, I never asked why... thinking about it, perhaps its because of the allowance we give a player who catches the ball after being in the lane for a couple counts??

perfect lead in for my next question: wouldn't the count continue whether the individual had the ball or not as he/she is still in the lane. the only allowance i find is for starting a drive to the basket. I ask because as a newbie ,I know more experienced refs kick this one sometimes as well.

JRutledge Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Upward ref (Post 696826)
perfect lead in for my next question: wouldn't the count continue whether the individual had the ball or not as he/she is still in the lane. the only allowance i find is for starting a drive to the basket. I ask because as a newbie ,I know more experienced refs kick this one sometimes as well.

Usually if someone has the ball in the lane they are going to the basket.

As a newbie, do not worry about things that are really insignificant in the bigger picture. Just do what is asked and then go from there. None of us really know unless we write the procedure anyway. We at this time do not give a count for that (and there has never been such a count in my years of officiating) so why worry about it now? As I said before, it would probably be confusing if we were giving multiple counts for multiple things at the same time.

Peace

Upward ref Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 696825)
I do not know for sure, but how can anyone tell between a 5 closely guarded count and a 3 second count? Considering that the overall philosophy to call 3 seconds is based on something that most people would not know anyway as the count stops and starts very quickly all the time, I do not see why you would want that count.

Peace

I'm sure you're right. just thinking with the young kids i'm involved with so far,the visible counts seem to spur them into action on the realization their time is limited. in our league we also give a lot of audble warmings ahead of time, especially with the k-2 and 3-4, 5-6 youngsters.

tref Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Upward ref (Post 696826)

9-7-3

This is a basic principle of officiating. Read a rule a day & focus on Rule 4 to gain a better understanding of the rules of the game.

JRutledge Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Upward ref (Post 696831)
I'm sure you're right. just thinking with the young kids i'm involved with so far,the visible counts seem to spur them into action on the realization their time is limited. in our league we also give a lot of audble warmings ahead of time, especially with the k-2 and 3-4, 5-6 youngsters.

If they violate, call the violation. Do you warn them when they clearly violate other rules like traveling or going out of bounds? And it is improper by rule to give an audible count. Might be acceptable at that league, but not at other levels or in the rules. If you are going to give them a warning, just tell them something that gets them out of the lane. Often this is such a subjective violation anyway as players go in and out of the lane so quickly and most people do not understand the rule that I do not see why you would worry about this that much. Newer officials tend to call a lot of these early in their careers and call fewer as time goes on. Just like anything until you understand the rule and understand the judgment that is involved do not worry that much about it.

Peace

Upward ref Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 696830)
Usually if someone has the ball in the lane they are going to the basket.

As a newbie, do not worry about things that are really insignificant in the bigger picture. Just do what is asked and then go from there. None of us really know unless we write the procedure anyway. We at this time do not give a count for that (and there has never been such a count in my years of officiating) so why worry about it now? As I said before, it would probably be confusing if we were giving multiple counts for multiple things at the same time.

Peace

Agreed :)

Terrance "TJ" Mon Oct 18, 2010 01:42pm

Well, heres a partial reasoning I got for it. Imagine how many times a ref will (or possibly) start a 3 second count during a game. Can you just imgaine your arms after a game? In my first season, I only called 3 seconds once. All the others I started to count got stopped.

APG Mon Oct 18, 2010 02:21pm

There's no visible count cause it would be pointless and confusing. What happens when there are multiple players in the lane? How would you show multiple counts? Are you gonna use two hands for two separate counts? What about three? You'd look pretty silly out there doing that. Unlike a five second count for a throw in, closely guarded count, or a ten second count for the backcourt, everyone knows what the visible count is for, when it starts, and how to end it (or should know).