The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 05, 2002, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Greetings;

I've been reading The Official Forum for a few days now and have enjoyed the wisdom and wit, especially from the Senior Members. Laughed out loud at a few good ones and decided to become a member myself. Became a MHSAA registered basketball official this year and will start out with some city rec leagues. Already do slo-pitch softball as an ASA ump. Been studying the rule, case, and mechanics books, and as a former player and coach, I never realized how much I didn't know! I would like to advance slowly but surely. Any advice will be appreciated.

One quick question: What is the correct signal for a moving screen?

Thanks
Old Sat Oct 05, 2002, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyber-Ref
Greetings;

I've been reading The Official Forum for a few days now and have enjoyed the wisdom and wit, especially from the Senior Members. Laughed out loud at a few good ones and decided to become a member myself. Became a MHSAA registered basketball official this year and will start out with some city rec leagues. Already do slo-pitch softball as an ASA ump. Been studying the rule, case, and mechanics books, and as a former player and coach, I never realized how much I didn't know! I would like to advance slowly but surely. Any advice will be appreciated.

Welcome! Stay here. Ask when you don't understand.

Quote:
Oh no! What a terrible first question!

A moving screen is defined in 4-39-6 and is legal as described.
When screening an opponent who is moving in the same path and direction as the screener is moving, the opponent is responsible for contact if the screener slows up or stops.

I believe you're asking about a screen that involves illegal contact, like blocking or pushing. So the answer is that it is a block or a push. You have to decide.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Oct 5th, 2002 at 12:40 PM]
Old Sun Oct 06, 2002, 04:43pm
In Memoriam

Another Michigan Ref !

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyber-Ref
Greetings;

Thanks
Cyber-Ref,
With you being down in the big city area of Zone 4, you have a wonderful opportunity to officiate some of the greatest hoops in Michigan.
Two suggestions:
  • 1. Join one of the associations in your neighborhood: Southeastern Michigan Officials Association in Redford, Metro Athletic Officials Association in Redford, Westland United Federation of Officials in Westland.
  • 2. Get up to Saginaw Valley State for Jim Eastman's Tri-City Officials' Camp in June.

...And, since Tony so politely didn't mention, don't forget that the moving screen without contact is merely moving and nothing more.

mick