The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 27, 2000, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Question

If in one motion, a player jumps, uses both hands for an offensive rebound and shoots/tips the ball to the basket, is that considered to be a possession by that player? Situation came up where the player put up an air ball and caught the ball to shoot again.

I'm sure that you can tip the ball with one hand repetively as you attempt to shoot the ball.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2000, 10:25pm
In Memoriam

quote:
Originally posted by beancenzo:
If in one motion, a player jumps, uses both hands for an offensive rebound and shoots/tips the ball to the basket, is that considered to be a possession by that player? Situation came up where the player put up an air ball and caught the ball to shoot again.

I'm sure that you can tip the ball with one hand repetively as you attempt to shoot the ball.

Whenever a try is attempted, team and player possession ends, and any player may grab the ball and dribble, shoot, pass or just stand there.
mick

"Section 40 Shooting, Try, Tap : Art.1
The Act of shooting begins simultaneously with the start of the try or tap and ends when the ball is clearly in flight, and includes the airborne shooter."

[This message has been edited by mick (edited March 27, 2000).]
Old Mon Mar 27, 2000, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Does this situation apply to a shot clock violation? I would answer your question this way:
1) If the player caught the ball with both hands and then shot/pushed the ball toward the basket, then I would say there was possession.
2) If the player merely tapped the ball towards the basket, then I would say NO POSSESSION.

Old Tue Mar 28, 2000, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

I agree with bsilliman. If, in the officials opinion, it was a legitimate shot attempt then the player can catch the ball and dribble,shoot,pass or whatever since his possession ended with the try. As far as whether he had regained posession or not would be determined by whether or not he secured control of the ball or merely batted it into the basket.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2000, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Question

quote:
Originally posted by beancenzo:

A legitamate attempt at shooting is being made and if it slips away or simply makes no contact with the basket, net or board is still legal from what I've been taught. In the old days(3 plus) years ago we called it a self pass but if you think about it, the intent is to allow the player to continue to compete.

Old Wed Mar 29, 2000, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Im a little unsure as to what the issue is here. I'm a beginning referee new to the "art" but my interpretation is as follows. If the original shot attempt was a legitimate attempt at a field goal everything sounds fine to me. It sounds like an air ball was shot and the player was aggressively following up on the missed scoring opportunity. He gave up control on the original shot but sounds like he regained it , if only for a second, to rebound it and redirect the shot toward the hoop. The shot clock would have stopped on the original shot if the attempt was made in time but , in theory, briefly could have been restarted and stopped again depending on the alertness and dependability of the minor officials. Practically speaking there would be negligible effect due to the extremely "limited" time of possession.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2000, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA, player shoots air ball the shot clock doesn't reset.
Old Thu Mar 30, 2000, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Harper -
Let me see -

You said:
"Shot clock would have stopped if the original attempt was made in time"

and origial shot was an air ball. Shot clock isnt reset (or stop) until ball hits IRON. If the offensive rebound off the missed air ball is not released in time (shot clock continues) ...it is a shot clock violation.