The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   2 Questions (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/5882-2-questions.html)

brumey1107 Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:04am

I'm sure these questions have come up but in viewing the subject I was unable to locate them. I certainly appreciate anyone providing the correct calls to these two situations.

1) Can an offensive player catch his own shot? A1 shoot from left side of basket. Ball does not touch anyone from the defensive team, offensive team, backboard, net, or rim - just air... A1 catches ball on other side of rim. Is this traveling or a rebound?

2) A1 brings ball down court. B1 swipes ball from A1 and ball heads towards out of bounds. B1 hustles after ball and keeps it inbounds by tapping it downcourt towards his offensive end. B1's momentum carries him out of bounds (both feet completely OB). B1 continues to hustle and gets back in bounds and then retrieves the ball before anyone else touches the ball. Question is can play continue with B1 now in control of the ball?

Both plays subject to NBA rules.

Thank you all for your reply’s.

Danvrapp Fri Sep 27, 2002 11:23am

Just to reply because I can (I'm not an NBA rules guru), but I believe your answers are "No" and "Yes" according to NBA rules.

Just for the fun of it, I also believe the NFHS answers are "Yes" and "Yes."

ChuckElias Fri Sep 27, 2002 11:33am

Dan got 'em right.

#1 is illegal. It's a traveling violation in the NBA. If you'd asked about high school or college the answer would be that it is legal. And you would owe Tony five dollars. :)

#2 is legal. It's specifically covered in play 225 (on page 46) in the NBA Questions and Answers. That's the NBA's version of a case book. And again, in HS or NCAA, it's legal.

Chuck

tigerb Fri Sep 27, 2002 12:18pm

Please clarify in the second sitch.

Does the player have to get both feet back in bounds before he can touch the ball.

Camron Rust Fri Sep 27, 2002 12:43pm

Quote:

Originally posted by tigerb
Please clarify in the second sitch.

Does the player have to get both feet back in bounds before he can touch the ball.

No. The player only needs to touch inbounds with any part of their body (foot, hand, butt, knee, etc.) and not be touching out-of-bounds.

[Edited by Camron Rust on Sep 27th, 2002 at 01:48 PM]

secondyear Fri Sep 27, 2002 01:00pm

Here is one for you - NFHS and NCAA.

Can A1 who is dribbling the ball, lose control of the ball, lose control of themselves and their momentum takes them out of bounds, come back inbounds and continue the dribble?

Danvrapp Fri Sep 27, 2002 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally posted by secondyear

Can A1 who is dribbling the ball, lose control of the ball, lose control of themselves and their momentum takes them out of bounds, come back inbounds and continue the dribble?

Quick! Someone find a link to the old post that went about 500 pages that addressed this question! :eek:

Camron Rust Fri Sep 27, 2002 01:51pm

Quote:

Absolutely. If they lose control of the ball, it is an interrupted dribble. The only way for A1 to violate is to touch the ball or be touched by the ball while OOB.

The real catch is whether they lost control making it an interrupted dribble or are really still dribbling and chose to let it bounce an extra time or two between touches...that is a judegement call.

[Edited by Camron Rust on Sep 27th, 2002 at 05:48 PM]

rainmaker Fri Sep 27, 2002 11:34pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:

Absolutely. If they lose control of the ball, it is an interrupted dribble. The only way for A1 to violate is to touch the ball or be touched by the ball while OOB.

The real catch is whether they lost control making it an interrupted dribble or are really still dribbling and chose to let it bounce an extra time or two between touches...that is a judegement call.

[Edited by Camron Rust on Sep 27th, 2002 at 05:48 PM]

Camron, you get the trophy. The way you worded your post masterfully cuts out all the arguement we've had about this in the past. Great job!

BktBallRef Sat Sep 28, 2002 12:22am

They've added a case play this year on the specific play.

secondyear Sat Sep 28, 2002 04:24pm

Thanks for the info. I just received my new NFHS books yesterday!

JoeT Wed Oct 02, 2002 12:22pm

Quote:

Can A1 who is dribbling the ball, lose control of the ball, lose control of themselves...

If A1 can truly become more than one person during an interrupted dribble, who am I to tell him what he can't do? ;)

(Tongue firmly in cheek. I know: "don't talk about no grammar....")