The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 10, 2010, 02:49pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
We were not talking about a rule, we were talking about a statement.

True. You said the statement was wrong.

But you were wrong.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Aug 10, 2010, 02:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
True. You said the statement was wrong.

But you were wrong.
They statement was wrong as an all or nothing statement. Which is why those do not work very well to learn rules. There are often exceptions to such statements. And when you can come up with exceptions, then the statement does not work. If you want to say that is wrong, then so be it. Once again I do not have to deal with you outside of this board, so what you think ultimately means little. Take it for what it is worth and move on yourself.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 10, 2010, 02:59pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
They statement was wrong as an all or nothing statement. Which is why those do not work very well to learn rules. There are often exceptions to such statements.
What is the exception to this statement?

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Aug 10, 2010, 03:34pm
We don't rent pigs

For those less familiar with the subject, this rule was changed a few years ago after a lengthy discussion we had about it. Formerly, it stated only a bat by an opponent ended the dribble, but it now reads that the dribble ends when "the ball touches or is touched by the opponent and causes the dribbler to lose control."

For what it is worth, I do agree with what I think Rut is saying, that it would be rare for the touch by an opponent not to end the dribble, and the benefit of the doubt should be given to the dribbler.

But the original statement by bainsey in the OP is unquestionably true, and there is no exception.

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Tue Aug 10, 2010 at 03:37pm.
Old Tue Aug 10, 2010, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
What is the exception to this statement?
There aren't any exceptions to the original statement by bainsey. What he wrote is 100% true according to the NFHS rule. Rut is simply incorrect.
Old Wed Aug 11, 2010, 09:18am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
There aren't any exceptions to the original statement by bainsey. What he wrote is 100% true according to the NFHS rule. Rut is simply incorrect.
I can't think of any exceptions either.
Old Wed Aug 11, 2010, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

I'm glad that you guys are having this discussion

Last season I had a play where A1 was dribbling, decided to cross over, but instead of crossing over with a dribble, he just changed hands with the ball (it was an intramural game so you can guess at the skill level of the player). During the changing of hands, B1 reached in and touched the ball, but it did not cause A1 to lose control of the ball. As soon as he took another dribble, I called the illegal dribble violation. He looked at me and said, "but he touched it."

Later I asked an official who was my senior if I had made the wrong call with the touch, and he said yes, "the dribble ends if the ball is touched by an opponent."

This post clarifies a lot for me, and lets me know that I made the right call originally.
Old Thu Aug 12, 2010, 09:43am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornets222003 View Post
I'm glad that you guys are having this discussion

Last season I had a play where A1 was dribbling, decided to cross over, but instead of crossing over with a dribble, he just changed hands with the ball (it was an intramural game so you can guess at the skill level of the player). During the changing of hands, B1 reached in and touched the ball, but it did not cause A1 to lose control of the ball. As soon as he took another dribble, I called the illegal dribble violation. He looked at me and said, "but he touched it."

Later I asked an official who was my senior if I had made the wrong call with the touch, and he said yes, "the dribble ends if the ball is touched by an opponent."

This post clarifies a lot for me, and lets me know that I made the right call originally.

I'm confused. At what point did A1 end his dribble so that an illegal dribble would be called?
Old Thu Aug 12, 2010, 09:58am
Do not give a damn!!

I have never seen a player dribble the ball and have an opponent (especially purposely) touch the ball and not lose some control of the ball. Now I guess it is your judgment if control is lost, but I have yet to see this. Then again I do not officiate intermural ball, so I am sure all kinds of things take place there I will never see.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 12, 2010, 10:57am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I'm confused. At what point did A1 end his dribble so that an illegal dribble would be called?
I think...emphasis on "think"....that he's saying that A1 touched the ball with both hands during the same dribble, with one touch each before and after the defensive touch.
Old Thu Aug 12, 2010, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
I think...emphasis on "think"....that he's saying that A1 touched the ball with both hands during the same dribble, with one touch each before and after the defensive touch.
That is exactly what happened.
Old Thu Aug 12, 2010, 12:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornets222003 View Post
That is exactly what happened.
This makes my brain hurt.
Did A1 catch the ball after B1 touched it, then proceed to start a new dribble?
I'm trying to picture JR's scenario, and I can't imagine the sort of ball movement necessary for that to happen would not cause me to consider control lost, even momentarily.
Old Thu Aug 12, 2010, 01:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This makes my brain hurt.
Did A1 catch the ball after B1 touched it, then proceed to start a new dribble?
I'm trying to picture JR's scenario, and I can't imagine the sort of ball movement necessary for that to happen would not cause me to consider control lost, even momentarily.
A1 was dribbling with his right hand.....B1 touched the ball during this dribble after the ball left the dribbler's right hand but the touch did not cause A1 to lose control....A1 then touched the ball with his left hand after the defensive touch but before the dribbled ball hit the floor. Iow, A1 touched the ball twice during the same dribble. Always a judgment call but if the official rules that the defensive touching didn't cause the dribbler to lose control, then the dribble never ended and the dribbler is called for touching the ball twice during the same dribble. Correct call by rule.
Old Thu Aug 12, 2010, 01:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
A1 was dribbling with his right hand.....B1 touched the ball during this dribble after the ball left the dribbler's right hand but the touch did not cause A1 to lose control....A1 then touched the ball with his left hand after the defensive touch but before the dribbled ball hit the floor. Iow, A1 touched the ball twice during the same dribble. Always a judgment call but if the official rules that the defensive touching didn't cause the dribbler to lose control, then the dribble never ended and the dribbler is called for touching the ball twice during the same dribble. Correct call by rule.
Okay, I'm picturing this now. I'm with Rut, only in intramural ball.