The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Captains Meeting (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/5879-captains-meeting.html)

MOFFICIAL Thu Sep 26, 2002 08:50pm

Does anyone have a rehearsed short Captains meeting speech they would like to share?

mick Thu Sep 26, 2002 08:53pm

Hi, Captains.
This is Ump and I'm Ref.
Do you have any questions?
Who is your speaking captain?
Okay, put the ball in the hole and have fun.

ChuckElias Thu Sep 26, 2002 09:04pm

Hi guys/ladies.
I'm Mr. Elias; this is Mr. Smith.
Who's your floor captain?
Ok, any questions for me?
Have a great game, guys/ladies.

I never ask for the "speaking" captains. They don't need any encouragement from me to speak to the officials. I used to say "Black line all the way around" but Tony talked me out of it ;)

Chuck

Dan_ref Thu Sep 26, 2002 09:48pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Hi guys/ladies.
I'm Mr. Elias; this is Mr. Smith.
Who's your floor captain?
Ok, any questions for me?
Have a great game, guys/ladies.

I never ask for the "speaking" captains. They don't need any encouragement from me to speak to the officials. I used to say "Black line all the way around" but Tony talked me out of it ;)

Chuck

This was my speech too, until I worked with a guy who's name was not Smith. (No one cared that I wasn't Mr Elias.)
I also used to say "black line all around" until I got to a gym with a gold line all around.

JRutledge Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:31pm

My speech.

Shake hands gentlemen/ladies.

"My name is Mr. Rutledge. My partners are Mr. Stanley and Mr. Mitchell."

"Gentleman, do you have any questions?"

(At this point I say something about sportsmanship which is required by the state.)

"Who is my speaking captain for white? Who is my speaking captain for Blue?"

(If there is any illegal equiptment or special ground rules I migh make that clear here.)

"Gentlemen, have fun."

That is all I say.

Peace

rainmaker Thu Sep 26, 2002 11:59pm

Boy, I can see that moving up is going to require a lot of changes! Of course, I may not be doing any of the speeches at the higher level this year. With Jr Hi girls, the speech needs to be so much longer!!

A) "Shake hands and introduce yourselves..."
B) "I'm Juulie Downs, this is Jane Smith
B1) We will always be happy to answer your questions if you ask respectfully.
C) "Black (or whatever) line, other special rules (of which there are many in Jr Hi gyms!)
D) "You are responsible as captains to be certain no players on your team enter the floor with any jewelry, clippies, etc"
E) "Remember that sportsmanship is a Point of Emphasis this year, and your players should concentrate on maintaining a spirit of healthy competition."
F) "Has your coach reviewed the rules changes with you yet this year?"
or
"By now are you comfortable with the rule changes?"
G) "Do you have any other questions?"

If I don't do all of it (in about 35 seconds or less) I know it'll come back to bite me. Last year, I left out the part about the rule changes in March, and in the third quarter, a girl asked me, "When did they change the rule about the subs coming in all at the same time ?" IN MARCH!!

mick Fri Sep 27, 2002 06:47am

Re: My speech.

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge

(At this point I say something about sportsmanship which is required by the state.)

Oh, yeah... that too.

<I><Font size = 1/2>(I think it's dumb)</I></Font>

ChuckElias Fri Sep 27, 2002 07:05am

We're also required by the state to read a little card about sportsmanship. I don't know a single official who does it. <font size = -4>We think it's dumb, too</font>

Chuck

Ref in PA Fri Sep 27, 2002 07:35am

The PA speach

In Pennsylvania, we get to read (sometimes paraphrase) a message on Sportsmanship. It goes like this (you are testing my memory here):

"PIAA requires all registered sports officials to enforce the sportsmanship rules for coaches and contestants. Actions meant to demean opposing players, teams, spectators and officials are not in the highest ideals of interscholastic education and will not be tolerated. Let today's contest reflect mutual respect. Coaches please certify to the referee that your players are legally equipped and uniformed according to NFHS rules. Good luck in today's contest."

Once we are done with that, I ask who the captains are and if they have any questions. If we are doing a 5th or 6th grade game, I remind the kids not to hang on the rim after dunking the basketball.

Mike Burns Fri Sep 27, 2002 09:09am

No matter what the speach, it seems that this is what the kids hear,
(In the voice of the teacher from Peanuts), "Whaun wha wha whauan whayu wha whaun." :) LOL

Dan_ref Fri Sep 27, 2002 09:10am

Re: The PA speach

Quote:

Originally posted by Ref in PA

Once we are done with that, I ask who the captains are and if they have any questions. If we are doing a 5th or 6th grade game, I remind the kids not to hang on the rim after dunking the basketball.

Yeah, I do that too. I'll also remind these little kids
that no jewelry, not even wedding or engagement rings, can
be worn. For some reason the girls giggle, the boys mostly
rolltheir eyes. Every once in a while I'll tell them CBS is
here and we'll be taking one TV timeout in each half.
The looks on their faces for that one is unbelievable! :)

Kelvin green Fri Sep 27, 2002 09:43am

IF you have not seen it, there is a card produced by NF, and many states are having the coaches and the captains listen to it. In our state the head coach must come out to the pre-game. The cannot refuse, if they send an assistant out, guess who becomes the head coach for the game. Our state takes it serious. Some officials dont do it butif they were being observed they would get dinged pretty good.

Dont know if how much good it does but it certainly tells the coach before every game that we will not tolerate unsportsmanlike acts. They have been forewarned. If they act up there is no excuse.

JRutledge Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:28am

I am the Referee on my Football Crew.

Quote:

Originally posted by Kelvin green
IF you have not seen it, there is a card produced by NF, and many states are having the coaches and the captains listen to it. In our state the head coach must come out to the pre-game. The cannot refuse, if they send an assistant out, guess who becomes the head coach for the game. Our state takes it serious. Some officials dont do it butif they were being observed they would get dinged pretty good.

Dont know if how much good it does but it certainly tells the coach before every game that we will not tolerate unsportsmanlike acts. They have been forewarned. If they act up there is no excuse.

We have were given this same card by our State Association. During the Football season, most of the Referees never use this card at all. We have never been told to use it. Actually many officials did not even understand what it was for. After 2 years of doing this in all of my 3 sports, I have my own speech or words that gets the point across. I do not need a card to read from to say the very same things. I personally think the speech is stupid (like Mick) and reading from a card would be even more stupid. I personally do not think in my state anyone cares if you read the card or not.

Peace

mick Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:30am

I don't understand !

Quote:

Rhetorically speaking...:
It makes little sense to me that the Coaches must be "forwarned" for any unsporting act.
If we assume that our partners do not need to be briefed on sportsmanship, that the Athletic Directors do not need to be briefed on sportsmanship, why then must the coaches and players be briefed, other than <u>just cuz</u>?

LarryS Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:56am

Re: I don't understand !

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mick
Quote:

...why then must the coaches and players be briefed [on sportsmanship], other than <u>just cuz</u>?

If the players, many of whom have been playing organized basketball since they were old enough to know what a basketball looked like, don't know they are going to have a foul called on them for using their forearm to clear out the defender and plant him on the second row of the bleachers...what makes us think they are going to remember the rules regarding sportsmanship without a reminder?

Sorry, guess I answered a question with a question.

Andy Fri Sep 27, 2002 11:20am

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
why then must the coaches and players be briefed, other than <u>just cuz</u>?

Blame it on Soccer!!!!

stripes Mon Sep 30, 2002 10:09am

Quote:

Quote:

It makes little sense to me that the Coaches must be "forwarned" for any unsporting act.
If we assume that our partners do not need to be briefed on sportsmanship, that the Athletic Directors do not need to be briefed on sportsmanship, why then must the coaches and players be briefed, other than <u>just cuz</u>?

I'll tell you why. It offers us protection. Tell them that unsportsmanlike actions will always be penalized and never with a warning and then do it..What can they say? Too often they get a warning from official A and a penalty from official B. This lets them know how it will be handled and makes it easy on us--no decisions. Unsportsmanlike = penalty.

Saw it first hand in the state semifinals last year. Captains and coaches in the pregame meeting. I (as the R) give the speech including the sportmanship talk. Then I said to everyone, "don't do anything that will make us think that was unsportsmanlike." Well a kid gets into anothers face in the 3rd Q. and I whack. Coach gets upset at the call and all I said to him was...you were in the meeting and heard what we would do. He got in the other kid's face.

He had no reply.

theboys Mon Sep 30, 2002 12:14pm

Add the following to your pre-game speech:

1. "Gentlemen, this is a basketball..."
2. Point to one of the captains. Say, "for purposes of this game, you will be mauve." Point to the other captain, and say, "You will be chartreuse." Use those colors when calling fouls, violations, etc. Doesn't matter the jersey colors.
3. "Gentlemen, new league rule. The captain of each team must wear his jersey backwards to more easily identify them." Make the kids adjust their jerseys (boys only, of course). Make them go back to the team huddle like that.
4. Have a coin toss. Ask the winner if he wants to kick or receive.
5. Have a yellow flag in your pocket. Tell the kids, in addition to blowing your whistle on fouls, you will be throwing a flag. Blow your nose in it. Alternatively, use a magician's scarf.

Mark Dexter Mon Sep 30, 2002 09:49pm

Re: Re: I don't understand !

Quote:

Originally posted by stripes
Quote:

Quote:

I'll tell you why. It offers us protection. Tell them that unsportsmanlike actions will always be penalized and never with a warning and then do it..What can they say? Too often they get a warning from official A and a penalty from official B. This lets them know how it will be handled and makes it easy on us--no decisions. Unsportsmanlike = penalty.

There is no protection in doing something like this - only problems can arise.

The further you get into the nitty-gritties, the more likely it is that you'll miss one of them and everyone will be screaming because you mentioned it in the captain's meeting.

stripes Tue Oct 01, 2002 09:31am

Re: Re: Re: I don't understand !

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

The further you get into the nitty-gritties, the more likely it is that you'll miss one of them and everyone will be screaming because you mentioned it in the captain's meeting.
I disagree with this wholeheartedly. Missing something is part of the game. We'll miss lots of things, but knowing that a penalty will be inforced without warning is a protection for us. How does a coach complain about something he was warned about? I don't see the potential problem, except in the case where an official see something and chooses to turn a blind eye to it or doesn't have the stones to call the T.

rainmaker Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:18am

Re: Re: Re: I don't understand !

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter

THIS IS TOTALLY OFF-TOPIC!! Mark your signature, "It's not just because I'm a big-@#$%, it's the law" Reminds me of a bumper sticker we had around here for a while.

Back when Oregon was trying to make a 55-mph law work, there were bumperstickers that lots of police cars, and others had,

"55 MPH -- it's not just a good idea, it's the law!" Some time later, I saw a few of these,

"386,000 mps -- it's not just a good idea, it's the law!"

bard Tue Oct 01, 2002 11:15am

Okay, I'm not as advanced as all of you, and I still do a fair number of 5th & 6th grade games. (Although I do have my first JV and Var. games this year!)

With one 6th grade team I had trouble with in an earlier game, I just forgot about the captains and had both <i><b>teams</i></b> line up at the division line for a little spiel on sportsmanship.

I'm not sure if it was the speech or a bunch of 1st quarter foul calls that did the trick, but the game went well! :-)

Mark Dexter Tue Oct 01, 2002 07:15pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: I don't understand !

Quote:

We'll miss lots of things, but knowing that a penalty will be inforced without warning is a protection for us. How does a coach complain about something he was warned about?
Here's the problem - you can't possibly warn a coach about everything.

I can see it now - a ten minute explaination of "illegal acts," game starts, a T, and coach goes ballistic because "You (*#*()@ didn't tell me that it was against the rules to stab an opponent!"

Granted, this is an extreme example, but I think you open yourself up to too many problems. Coaches and players have access to rulebooks - it's our job to explain any questions they may have but not our job to conduct a mini rules clinic before each tipoff.

Mark Dexter Tue Oct 01, 2002 07:18pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: I don't understand !

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker

THIS IS TOTALLY OFF-TOPIC!! Mark your signature, "It's not just because I'm a big-@#$%, it's the law" Reminds me of a bumper sticker we had around here for a while.

Back when Oregon was trying to make a 55-mph law work, there were bumperstickers that lots of police cars, and others had,

"55 MPH -- it's not just a good idea, it's the law!" Some time later, I saw a few of these,

"386,000 mps -- it's not just a good idea, it's the law!"

This actually comes courtesy of my psych professor.

She was explaining how FERPA (privacy laws) prevent her from e-mailing us our grades on tests and said to us, "I don't do it because I'm a b*tch, I do it because it's the law."

Just kinda reminded me of a lot of calls I have to make/explain in basketball. :D

Dan_ref Tue Oct 01, 2002 09:51pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I don't understand !

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

We'll miss lots of things, but knowing that a penalty will be inforced without warning is a protection for us. How does a coach complain about something he was warned about?
Here's the problem - you can't possibly warn a coach about everything.

I can see it now - a ten minute explaination of "illegal acts," game starts, a T, and coach goes ballistic because "You (*#*()@ didn't tell me that it was against the rules to stab an opponent!"

Granted, this is an extreme example, but I think you open yourself up to too many problems. Coaches and players have access to rulebooks - it's our job to explain any questions they may have but not our job to conduct a mini rules clinic before each tipoff.

I agree. And alternatively, "You said you would call all stabbing fouls, I got 2 kids here with puncture wounds! What the @%&*???!!!"

stripes Wed Oct 02, 2002 09:15am

I think you are trying to make this too complicated. All I say is that anything that could be construed as unsportsmanlike will be penalized without warning, but please don't make us penalize you. I agree that the less said, the better off we will be. Any complaint I have ever gotten has been replied to with, "I said anything." I have call T's for unsportsmanlike actions and the pregame speech, IMO, has been a savior. I like it very much.

I just got my rulebooks, etc. from the state and we have a new pregame statement to read. I will continue to use it (because I think it helps, and you will not go to the state tournament if you don't do it ;) )

JRutledge Wed Oct 02, 2002 02:49pm

Not your job.

Quote:

I think you are trying to make this too complicated. All I say is that anything that could be construed as unsportsmanlike will be penalized without warning, but please don't make us penalize you. I agree that the less said, the better off we will be. Any complaint I have ever gotten has been replied to with, "I said anything." I have call T's for unsportsmanlike actions and the pregame speech, IMO, has been a savior. I like it very much.

I just got my rulebooks, etc. from the state and we have a new pregame statement to read. I will continue to use it (because I think it helps, and you will not go to the state tournament if you don't do it ;) )

Stripes unless it is something from your state or the rulebook that requires some kind of statement on sportsmanship or behavior, say nothing. Before my state made us do all this "sportsmanship" talks, I would say nothing about the rules or the way the game would be called at all. It is not your job to give a rules clinic or explain what the game will be like. That pregame meeting should be about a minute and you move on.

Peace

stripes Wed Oct 02, 2002 02:57pm

Re: Not your job.

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

Stripes unless it is something from your state or the rulebook that requires some kind of statement on sportsmanship or behavior, say nothing. Before my state made us do all this "sportsmanship" talks, I would say nothing about the rules or the way the game would be called at all. It is not your job to give a rules clinic or explain what the game will be like. That pregame meeting should be about a minute and you move on.

Peace

Rut-

Thanks for the tip :cool:

Notice that I said that I got the card from the state. We are required to read it. I fully understand about the potential pitfalls of getting into a rules clinic in the captain's meeting. I just beleive that if they are forewarned and all of the officials enforce the rule the same way, our job just got easier.

JAdams Thu Oct 03, 2002 02:50pm

"I'm Frick, this is Frack. That's line's over and back. Let's play."

Gets 'em every time!

walter Thu Oct 03, 2002 02:59pm

Our state requires us to have head coaches present at the captain's conference and to read a sportsmanship card. The way I handle the conference is to keep it short and sweet. After the introductions I ask each coach if their teams are equipped per NFHS standards and will their teams meet that standard throughout the game. Sometimes I get the question of what we will do as it relates to a shirt coming untucked unintentionally but most of the time I get a yes answer or a head nod from each coach. As for the shirt question I usually answer to the effect that if we believe a shirt came out unintentionally the player will more likely than not get one chance to tuck it back in and then if he or she doesn't comply he/she would be sent out . Repeat violators will be sent out without a second chance. I also take this opportunity to stress that the coaching box will be strictly enforced. I then ask the group if they all know and understand the meaning of the term "sportsmanship" and if so, do they know the penalty for noncompliance. Again most of the time I get a yes. If it is at a school where sportsmanship has been an issue, I usually make the home team speaking captain read the card to all present. I then ask for speaking captain. The reason I do this is because I tell the speaking captain that it is his/her responsibility to begin breaking huddles after the first warning horn and I also tell him/her that if I can, when I have a problem with a player on the floor, I will try my best to give them a chance to handle the situation before myself or my partner(s) have to. If during the game, the speaking captain is not in the game, I then pick a player that appears to be levelheaded at the time to address this type of situation with. I also tell the speaking captain that because their team has given them the responsibility of being speaking captain, he/she get no second chances when it comes to behavior or sportsmanship. I use my captains as communicators during ball games. All told, my conference takes about one minute barring any shirt questions.

mick Thu Oct 03, 2002 03:08pm

Re: Re: Not your job.

Quote:

Notice that I said that I got the card from the state. We are required to read it.
stripes,
We got a card from Michigan, too.
The way I interpret the card is to give the coaches the information, not necessarily read it to them. And that can be done somewhere else (if, I remember), when I'm doing the book, for example, not in the circle.
mick

stripes Thu Oct 03, 2002 03:25pm

Re: Re: Re: Not your job.

Quote:

Quote:

Notice that I said that I got the card from the state. We are required to read it.
stripes,
We got a card from Michigan, too.
The way I interpret the card is to give the coaches the information, not necessarily read it to them. And that can be done somewhere else (if, I remember), when I'm doing the book, for example, not in the circle.
mick

We are required to read it in the circle with the head coaches present.

JRutledge Thu Oct 03, 2002 03:38pm

We were given a card too.

It read:

"The National High School Federation and your state association require officials to enforce sportsmanship rules. High school athletics emphasize positive values. All of us have worked hard to create a sense of teamwork, respect, responsiblity and prespective. We remind you that we expect good behavior and will quickly penalize misconduct. We encourage and appreciate your help. Let this competition reflect mutual respect among all participants and officials. Coaches please certify that your players are legally equipped and uniformed according to NFHS rules. Good luck and have a great contest!"

Now is this the same card you guys have? On the back of the card it has the NF, NFOA and the IHSA symbols.

Peace

Spaman_29 Fri Oct 04, 2002 04:27pm

I think that it is sad that it has come to where we have to read a stupid card to all present parties for the games. My state (Utah) now requires that it also be read over the pa system for all parties to hear. We are required to bring the coaches out for the pregame. I make it more of an introduction and I always keep it under 15 seconds. I don't read the card, but I do say to the captains that it is your responsiblity to keep yourself, your teamates, and your coaches in control.
I do not say what color the line is around the gym, what color that I am going to call each team, what kind of fouls that I am going to call or to keep your shirts tucked in. Don't state the obvious. If they can't tell what color the line is then they shouldn't be playing the sport, unless there are some really, and I mean really, weird lines. I also don't like to commit myself to a certain foul that will or will not be called. If you say that you are going to call it you then must call it. But sometimes a foul doesn't gain or create an advantage or disadvantage even though it fits the guidelines of a particular foul. Let the players dictate the game. If they want to play rough and tumble basketball then quickly call the foul and get them out of the game. They will adjust.
Nothing drives me more crazy than when I have a partner who takes forever in the coaches/captains meeting and didn't say a thing of importance. We all know they don't want to be there and they really don't listen. So get on with the formalities and get the the real stuff.

AK ref SE Mon Oct 07, 2002 03:48pm

My speech!

Four score and seven years ago......oopppsss wrong speech!

AK ref SE