The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 27, 2002, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Padgett --

Are you pulling another false retirement on us??

juulie
Old Sun Sep 29, 2002, 12:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

No, I've just been extremely busy moving. Since all our kids are now grown, my wife decided to "downsize" (no - that doesn't mean "go on a diet"). We bought a townhome about 2 miles from where our house was. Our house sale closed really fast and we had to live in an apartment for 8 weeks until the townhome was finished. It was a real hassle with our dog. He's used to having his own yard.

Anyway, we are now all moved in and I started games last weekend at The Hoop in Beaverton. It's 8th grade through varsity both boys and girls.

Today, they're having a "Girls Showcase" for two hours where all the teams from the area play 22 minute "mini-games" on a rotating basis so all the HS coaches can come to watch and take notes. I then go back tonight for two more games after dinner.

Yesterday, one of the refs got stung by a bee during a game. It was on a court on the other side of the facility and I only heard about it about an hour after it happened. He was OK, but the other guys said it was really funny watching him run into the locker room screaming.
Old Sun Sep 29, 2002, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
No, I've just been extremely busy moving. Since all our kids are now grown, my wife decided to "downsize" (no - that doesn't mean "go on a diet"). We bought a townhome about 2 miles from where our house was. Our house sale closed really fast and we had to live in an apartment for 8 weeks until the townhome was finished. It was a real hassle with our dog. He's used to having his own yard.

Anyway, we are now all moved in and I started games last weekend at The Hoop in Beaverton. It's 8th grade through varsity both boys and girls.

Today, they're having a "Girls Showcase" for two hours where all the teams from the area play 22 minute "mini-games" on a rotating basis so all the HS coaches can come to watch and take notes. I then go back tonight for two more games after dinner.

Yesterday, one of the refs got stung by a bee during a game. It was on a court on the other side of the facility and I only heard about it about an hour after it happened. He was OK, but the other guys said it was really funny watching him run into the locker room screaming.
Hey, it's good to hear that you're okay and moving along. But I don't want to hear about games at the Hoop that I'm not allowed by the doctor to work. I'm counting the days until I'm free to run again, but even when I'm permitted, I won't be nearly as able as I was.

Stung by a BEE?!?! Good heavens! Who was it?
Old Sun Sep 29, 2002, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Stung by a BEE?!?! Good heavens!
When I was at camp, one of the refs got stung by a bee. He was a trooper tho. Bounced right back. Personally, I have an irrational fear of bees. My one phobia.

Old Mon Sep 30, 2002, 05:35am
Official Forum Member

My son and his dog (Akita) got stung this weekend by what he called a "bald face hornet". He is in Olympia, WA and apparently this species is native to that area. Juules and Mark have probably heard of this, but we don't have them on the east coast. My son said it got him 2-3 times on his calf and got the dog twice on the ear. This type of hornet does not lose it's stinger the first time it stings you.
Old Mon Sep 30, 2002, 08:05am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
My son and his dog (Akita) got stung this weekend by what he called a "bald face hornet". He is in Olympia, WA and apparently this species is native to that area. Juules and Mark have probably heard of this, but we don't have them on the east coast. My son said it got him 2-3 times on his calf and got the dog twice on the ear. This type of hornet does not lose it's stinger the first time it stings you.
dblref,
The "bald-faced" hornet is also called the "white-faced" hornet, which is also common U.P. here.
They are just mean!
They attack movement and not necessarily just threats.
Immediately putting mud on such a sting will ease the pain.
Dunno why.
mick