The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 24, 2002, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Case Book 2.10.1A. Play: A1 is fouled but erroneously is not awarded two free throws even though the automatic bonus is in effect. Team A is given a throw-in, and A1 inbounds the ball to A2 who is tied up by B1 resulting in a held-ball situation. The error is discovered following the held-ball call. The possession arrow is pointing to: (a) A's; or (b) B's basket. Ruling: In (a), the merited free throws will be awarded, and play will continue from that action, since Team A had not lost possession between the error and when the error was recognized. However, in (b), the lane is cleared for A1's merited free throws, and play resumes from the point of interruption which is an alternating-possession throw-in by Team B.

My question: I'm assuming the arrow is reversed? When? What if, in (a) there is a foul during the throw-in by B? or in (b) by Team A?

In (b), how do you explain to coach A that B committed the foul, but B gets the ball, especially if A misses both shots?
Old Tue Sep 24, 2002, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
My question: I'm assuming the arrow is reversed? When? What if, in (a) there is a foul during the throw-in by B?
The arrow isn't reversed until the throw-in is complete or the throw-in team violates. If B fouls, it's A's ball because of the foul, not the throw-in, so the arrow won't be changed after the throw-in. Think of this a just a common foul - you wouldn't change the arrow on a throw-in after a foul, would you?

Quote:
or in (b) by Team A?
Again, the throw-in wasn't completed, so the arrow would not be changed. The only way you lose the arrow is by a violation, not a foul.

Quote:
In (b), how do you explain to coach A that B committed the foul, but B gets the ball, especially if A misses both shots?
"Coach, that's the rule!" Besides, A got their two merited throws. In HS ball, we always play from the point of interruption (held ball - arrow to B), so that's what we've got. B ball, play on.
Old Tue Sep 24, 2002, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

My question: I'm assuming the arrow is reversed? When? What if, in (a) there is a foul during the throw-in by B? or in (b) by Team A?
Yes, the arrow's reversed and all rules relating to an AP throw-in apply.

Quote:

I don't follow. I'm assuming coach A was already OK with B getting the ball on the AP after the ft.
A then committed a foul, why would coach A now expect to get the ball back?
Anyway, in my experience "explanations" of really weird stuff boil down to something along these lines...

"Coach, it's like this......"
"Are you sure?"
"Yes"
"Are you sure?"
"Yes"
"Are you sure?"
"Coach I'm sure"
"OK. Are you sure?"
"[smile]"
"OK, but that can't be right."
Old Tue Sep 24, 2002, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
I don't follow. I'm assuming coach A was already OK with B getting the ball on the AP after the ft.
A then committed a foul, why would coach A now expect to get the ball back?
Anyway, in my experience "explanations" of really weird stuff boil down to something along these lines...

"Coach, it's like this......"
"Are you sure?"
"Yes"
"Are you sure?"
"Yes"
"Are you sure?"
"Coach I'm sure"
"OK. Are you sure?"
"[smile]"
"OK, but that can't be right."
LOL!!

I know, and it all makes sense, I just haven't dealt with a lot of coaches that have great confidence in the ref, and I want to have as many solid explanations as possible in my little "tool kit" (I carry it on my forehead like the little thing the Orthodox Jews wear.)