The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   PC foul or not? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/58480-pc-foul-not.html)

Mark Padgett Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:25pm

PC foul or not?

This came up at our kids rec league Board meeting last night. NF rules: A1 goes airborne and releases a shot. While he is still in the air, A1 fouls B1 (pushes him away hard with his arm). The shot then goes in. Here's the questions:

1) is this a player control foul or a common foul on A1?
2) does the basket count?
3) would it make any difference on anything if the foul occurred after the shot went in?

What do you guys think?

APG Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:36pm

I would say it'd be a player control foul. The player is an airborne shooter per your words. 4-19-6 says, "A player-control foul is a common foul committed by a a player while he/she is in control of the ball or by an airborne shooter." As such, the basket wouldn't count whether the ball was released or whether the foul occurred after the ball went in the basket (10-6-11 1b.).

Casebook play 4.12.1 Situation A seems pretty much close to the play.

CLH Fri Jun 25, 2010 08:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 683289)
This came up at our kids rec league Board meeting last night. NF rules: A1 goes airborne and releases a shot. While he is still in the air, A1 fouls B1 (pushes him away hard with his arm). The shot then goes in. Here's the questions:

3) would it make any difference on anything if the foul occurred after the shot went in?

What do you guys think?

1) He!! yes it's a player control foul!
2) No, you can never score a basket on a player control foul.
3) Yes it would make a difference, since the ball went in, it became dead when the ball went through the net, thus it is a technical foul for illegal contact that can't be ignored during a dead ball. However, the smart referee would just come out strong with the player control foul and leave it at that.

JRutledge Fri Jun 25, 2010 08:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLH (Post 683304)
3) Yes it would make a difference, since the ball went in, it became dead when the ball went through the net, thus it is a technical foul for illegal contact that can't be ignored during a dead ball. However, the smart referee would just come out strong with the player control foul and leave it at that.

I am not sure I agree with this. An airborne shooter is still and airborne shooter until they come to the floor. I do not think it matters if the ball is through the hoop. I know it does not matter if a violation like GT or BI took place.

Peace

just another ref Fri Jun 25, 2010 08:40am

Quote:

This is not a technical foul.

4-19-5c A technical foul is an intentional or flagrant contact foul while the ball is dead, except a foul by an airborne shooter.

Pantherdreams Fri Jun 25, 2010 08:55am

This is interesting only beacause of a recent fiba rule change that requires a foul committed during the inbounding of the ball but prior to the release of the ball by the inbounder to be unsportsmanlike as it is clearly not a play on the ball.

So I've either got a no call, player control foul or unsportsmanlike.

Adam Fri Jun 25, 2010 09:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantherdreams (Post 683308)
This is interesting only beacause of a recent fiba rule change that requires a foul committed during the inbounding of the ball but prior to the release of the ball by the inbounder to be unsportsmanlike as it is clearly not a play on the ball.

I don't like that change, and wouldn't want it to come to NFHS. There are lots of legitimate plays that can be personal fouls that occur during throw-ins. With that reasoning, you should call all off-ball fouls unsportsmanlike since they aren't plays on the ball.

Adam Fri Jun 25, 2010 09:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 683289)

What do you guys think?

Was this meant for rookies?

Adam Fri Jun 25, 2010 09:20am

Quote:

It's already been corrected, but I feel like piling on. This isn't accurate. When an airborne shooter is involved, a personal foul (offensive or defensive) is the correct call.

CLH Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 683315)
It's already been corrected, but I feel like piling on. This isn't accurate. When an airborne shooter is involved, a personal foul (offensive or defensive) is the correct call.

Yes, yes pile it on...note my last line, call it a PC foul and be done with it...the technical is for fun, it excites the gym, you guys are no fun! ;)

Adam Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLH (Post 683319)
Yes, yes pile it on...note my last line, call it a PC foul and be done with it...the technical is for fun, it excites the gym, you guys are no fun! ;)

Sorry, your last line implied the official should make the right call for the wrong reason. I guess maybe I misread you. :)

eg-italy Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:08pm

Quote:

The rule says that fouls by the defending team during a throw-in (before the ball is released) are U. But I don't see how this may apply in this situation. [This interpretation will change starting from the next season: it will be enforced only during the last two minutes of the fourth period or overtimes, see p. 24 of the Official interpretations 2010.]

As you know, FIBA doesn't require that the ball is alive for a personal foul to be called (not technical, I mean). Mark's situation, in FIBA, would be a common foul (unless the push meets the requirements for being unsportsmanlike, intentional for NF, it's pretty the same concept). Since no team had control of the ball, there will be

(a) a throw-in for team B, if the foul is not the fifth (or more) in the period;
(b) two FT for B1, if team A is in team penalty (fifth foul or more);
(c) two FT for B1 and possession for team B, if A1's foul is judged as a U.

Score the basket in case the ball goes in, independently of when the foul happens (the ball never becomes dead when in flight for a try). In this case team B can run the endline for the throw-in.

Ciao

Indianaref Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 683322)
Sorry, your last line implied the official should make the right call for the wrong reason. I guess maybe I misread you. :)

He said a "smart" official:rolleyes:

Adam Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 683342)
He said a "smart" official:rolleyes:

Which could be taken any number of ways. :cool:

APG Fri Jun 25, 2010 01:23pm

Quote:

FWIW, the NBA rule has a rule that states that a defensive foul before the ball is released on the throw-in is two shots. A similar foul in the last two minutes of the fourth/overtime is one free throw by anyone on the court at the time of the foul, and the ball.