The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 20, 2002, 11:08am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

For years we have been using a three-man when we were allowed in the High School Game, but for no good reason the game isn't welcome. We generally get the lame excuses of:
  • too many fouls
  • not enough fouls
  • takes too long
  • cost too much (We charge two-man fees.)

Finally, t'other night, I got an answer that makes some sense:

[Coach]: "I can't keep track of what three officials are looking at, but I can with only two."

mick
    Old Fri Sep 20, 2002, 01:24pm
    In Memoriam

The best answer that I got when we first tried to go to 3-man came from a crusty,veteran coach and A.D. Verbatim,he said-"Sh*t,you can't find 2 good officials to send to me.Whereinhell are you gonna find 3?"

Couldn't help laughing when he said that to me,unfortunately.

Old Fri Sep 20, 2002, 01:40pm
    Do not give a damn!!

Talking 3 is always better.

When coaches stop complaining about "moving screens" and "over the back" calls, then maybe I would then worry about how 3 is not as good as two.

As you can see you will never make coaches happy.

Peace
    Old Fri Sep 20, 2002, 01:52pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by mick

[Coach]: "I can't keep track of what three officials are looking at, but I can with only two."

mick
    I was going to ask if his team would be better off if he was looking at what they were doing versus what the officials were doing but given the logic behind the above comment, the answer is an obvious NOPE.

I'm afraid I would have had to point out to this brilliant floor general the stupidity of his comment...and then go home with the realization that I had been scratched from future games at his school.
    Old Fri Sep 20, 2002, 02:56pm
    Esteemed Participant

Here's a good reason to not have 3-person crews - the State won't let us!!! The State Association - the WIAA here in good ole Washington - put together a plan for having districts phase in 3-person crews over a 3 year time period...none (let me repeat that, NONE) of the districts went for it...our local assoc. has worked hard over the last two seasons to get our 4A schools to agree to use 3-person crews, and had a plan all set to implement this season (won't bore you with the details of the plan, but AD's, coaches, and officials all agreed to it)...but the State has stepped in and said "No" because the three year phase-in period has passed and if we want to do it now, the schools have to pay full rate for all three officials, and use different crews for JV/Varsity games...needless to say, the schools have backed out...so our reason for not having 3-person is the State said we couldn't...go figure.
    Old Sat Sep 21, 2002, 09:39pm
    Official Forum Member

Here in Louisiana only a few associations statewide do three man fulltime. My association only does so when requested by the schools. Costs and the other reasons listed above are used for not going to three person crews. I think the state high school athletic association will ultimately have to settle it. They mandate all state playoff games be officiated with three refs. Aren't the regular season games important enough too? For a person to work two person mechanics the entire season and then get thrown into a three person crew in the playoffs doesn't make sense to me. But I'm a young guy, maybe I'll understand by and by.
    Old Sat Sep 21, 2002, 09:52pm
    In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
    Originally posted by braboa
    For a person to work two person mechanics the entire season and then get thrown into a three person crew in the playoffs doesn't make sense to me. But I'm a young guy, maybe I'll understand by and by.
    braboa,
    Welcome to the forum.

We've had two-man and untrained association members go to the Quarter-finals and Semi-finals that have left a lasting impression in those parts of the state.
    For you personally, take the time to learn it, whether you use it or not. Go to camps and cinics that teach it.
    Do it and be ready.
    ...And, once you've learned it, it is really easy to enjoy.
    mick

I can say Toledo Bend.