The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Good Sportsmanship (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/58270-good-sportsmanship.html)

just another ref Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:39pm

If you ask me, which seldom ever happens, the OP would go past good sportsmanship and into something else. Mistakes, both real and imagined, by the officials are a part of the game. Hopefully, the real ones will balance themselves and put no team at at disadvantage. So why give one back?

This would be the equivalent of a slow roller taking a funny hop over the first baseman's glove into right field. The hitter says it isn't fair and heads to the dugout.

icallfouls Wed Jun 02, 2010 05:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 679493)

Granted, soccer officiating empasizes judgment more than the black-and-white world of basketball,

Huh? Almost every play in basketball requires judgement. The only judgement in soccer is whether the player is truly injured or just faking.

Its SOCCER, who cares:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Pantherdreams Wed Jun 02, 2010 07:45pm

Tell the kid: "Just a min. Stand over there (behind the line). Here just hold this ball. Now explain what you were saying again."

Kid: "It should be blue ball. I touched it last"

You: "Really I didn't see it." TWEEET "Five Seconds. Blue Ball"

bainsey Wed Jun 02, 2010 09:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by icallfouls (Post 679750)
Its SOCCER, who cares

I do, as do others here. Trust me, the respective officiating worlds have their differences. You'd have to work both to know.

Panther, sweet idea, but you might not get away with it if you must have a visible count, and have to explain what you just did. :D

Adam Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:58am

OMG, we had the OP tonight, but not in a championship game. In a JV girls summer league game. both teams from the same school. Partner calls black ball OOB, I hear someone from the stands yell, "Come on Suzie (not sure about the name), own up and tell them you hit it out of bounds."
Suzie: "I did!"
No, partner did not change the call.

Nevadaref Thu Jun 03, 2010 01:46am

How about this scenario:
Two outs in the 9th with a perfect game on the line.
Batter hits a slow roller between 1st and 2nd.
The 1B fields it and tosses to the pitcher covering.
The batter is out by about a step.
The 1st base umpire incorrectly calls him safe.

The runner knows it and tells the umpire that he missed the call.

;)

just another ref Thu Jun 03, 2010 02:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 679881)
How about this scenario:
Two outs in the 9th with a perfect game on the line.
Batter hits a slow roller between 1st and 2nd.
The 1B fields it and tosses to the pitcher covering.
The batter is out by about a step.
The 1st base umpire incorrectly calls him safe.

The runner knows it and tells the umpire that he missed the call.

;)

Perfect games are overrated. I have 10 perfect game tickets right here. Bought them a week after the game. :rolleyes:

DLH17 Thu Jun 03, 2010 02:43am

somewhere, don denkinger is smiling

Altor Thu Jun 03, 2010 08:55am

Had something similar to this on the track this spring. High school, 4x100 relay. Red team was flagged for exchanging the baton beyond the exchange on the third exchange. They crossed the finish line first, but were disqualified.

When the awards custodian went to hand the first place plaques to the anchor of the Blue team in the next lane, the young man said he didn't want them. He explained that when he started his acceleration in that exchange zone, he went out of his lane and interfered with the Red team which caused them to be beyond the exchange zone.

I understand that the young man later apologized to the Red team and their coach and gave the Red anchor his 1st place plaque. Unfortunately, I had to let the official results stand.

Adam Thu Jun 03, 2010 09:25am

Total class from both the umpire and pitcher.

Stat-Man Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:56pm

I've seen this commercial a number of times and every time I see it, it doesn't look like the kid actually touched the ball. :confused: