The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 20, 2002, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
This happened the other night would love some thoughts.
2 person crew. Lead blows the whistle, indicating a foul on the baseline. A1 and B1 fly out of bounds, official moves to avoid them. It takes a few seconds for one of the players gets up. In the mean time the Trail is coming down to keep order and rotate to the spot. The lead,then goes opposite table, becomes trail and the ball is put in play.
What is missing from this sequence?
Old Fri Sep 20, 2002, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
What's missing is the T on coach A when he realized there
was a foul on B that was not reported.
Old Fri Sep 20, 2002, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Cascading boo's on the official for not calling a flagrant foul?
Old Fri Sep 20, 2002, 10:18am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Why must it be coach A?The foul could have been called on A and then not reported.The original sitch doesn't specify which team committed the foul.

I love when I get to correct you.It's got something to do with a love of dogs(especially those called Woody),and an inherent loathing of indiscriminate orchidectomies perpetrated by those who are in a position of power.

Revenge will be ours!!!

c.c. Woody the sad dog.
Old Fri Sep 20, 2002, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fletch_irwin_m
2 person crew. Lead blows the whistle, indicating a foul on the baseline. A1 and B1 fly out of bounds, official moves to avoid them. It takes a few seconds for one of the players gets up. In the mean time the Trail is coming down to keep order and rotate to the spot. The lead,then goes opposite table, becomes trail and the ball is put in play.
I'm not quite sure what your getting at here, did you get a comment from an evaluator about this situation? I think there must be more to this than you are letting on. That being said, here is a guess:

If the trail came down to be in the area of the two players that flew out of bounds at the same time that the lead was still down in that area, who was watching the other eight players on the floor?

In this sitch, the lead should remain there to make sure nothing happens between the two players while the trail freezes and observes the other eight players. Once the situation has calmed, the lead goes to report while the trail is still observing players. Only after the lead is finished reporting and turns his attention back to the court should the old trail rotate to lead. Both officials shold never have their backs to the players at the same time.
Old Fri Sep 20, 2002, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The lead failed to report the foul.
Old Fri Sep 20, 2002, 12:21pm
Esteemed Participant

Could be the lead not reporting the foul...could also be that only one of the players who flew out of bounds got up...did we put the ball in play with an injured player laying there??
Old Fri Sep 20, 2002, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Why must it be coach A?The foul could have been called on A and then not reported.The original sitch doesn't specify which team committed the foul.

I love when I get to correct you.It's got something to do with a love of dogs(especially those called Woody),and an inherent loathing of indiscriminate orchidectomies perpetrated by those who are in a position of power.

Revenge will be ours!!!

c.c. Woody the sad dog.
We had a switch on the foul, ball stays here.
Nah-nah..nah-nah...

Old Fri Sep 20, 2002, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Could it be

That the lead got confused? Instead of an open hand indicating a violation he/she closed the fist? The lead had to move out of the way of the flying bodies. Newbies get their mechanics mixed up often and seeing the trail come in, just went along with the switch?

Regardless, the lead did not complete the mechanics of the call. No team indication, no throw-in indication, no bird-dog. The trail who switched should not have administered the throw-in without knowing what the partner called.
Old Fri Sep 20, 2002, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

For those of you who said it was the missed reporting of the foul, you are correct and can enjoy the satisfaction of being smart over the weekend!!.
The players took the tumble. The remaining 8 players were all bunced around the play. The lead official signals a fist, even makes the preliminary "PUSH" signal. The trail comes in just to make sure everything is fine. After the melee, lead goes to the trail and the ball is put in play. The AMAZING thing was that NEITHER coach even noticed. No one said a word, even the evaluating official did not catch the miss. Just one of those things!
Old Sat Sep 21, 2002, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For those of you who said it was the missed reporting of the foul, you are correct and can enjoy the satisfaction of being smart over the weekend!!.
Thank you! I'll be here all weekend!

BTW Fletch, why didn't you report the foul?
Old Sat Sep 21, 2002, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

How did you know it was me LOL
I have no idea. In fact, until my partner asked me AFTER THE GAME (it happened in the first half) I did not even know about the omission! I am not really sure what happened. I probably just got distracted by the players crashing around me, making sure everyone was fine and my partner with the ball calling the spot. I went opposite table and no one said anything. What really amazed me was there was NO complaints from the sidelines. Neither the coaches are the table said a thing, and I clearly blew the whistle and called "PUSH, Stay here." There were three varsity officials at that end watching the same thing and they said nothing. (The only mistake they had me on was a ball I put in bounds after an over and back call).
I guess I should be ticked at myself about the situation but now that I am removed I think I was pretty funny and not something that will happen again!