The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 19, 2002, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

I'm a fairly experienced official 6 years doing over 100 games per year combining a limited Varsity schedule/Heavy JV/Freshmen and limited Jr. High along with rec and summer ball.
I'm sounding off and would appreciate some insight and input on the following issues:
1) Why is it that when I work with "Varsity" officials doing lower level games they feel like we don't have to adhere to proper mechanics. It's eye contact and a wink and we're not switching on fouls or putting the ball in play at the closest spot to name a couple of examples.
If I were to be doing a JV game before their Varsity game and use those same "shortcuts" I would be reprimanded and not recommended for better assignments.
2) Why is it "their" philosophy to call less while kid's are being knocked down and violations are being overlooked.

My philosophy is that all games are important to the participants. They deserve a quality professional job.
I think you have to adjust to the level of talent at times to keep the game flowing and ad/disad is more important than ever because of it.

What am I missing?

[Edited by MOFFICIAL on Sep 19th, 2002 at 02:33 PM]
Old Thu Sep 19, 2002, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MOFFICIAL
My philosophy is that all games are important to the participants. They deserve a quality professional job.
I think you have to adjust to the level of talent at times to keep the game flowing and ad/disad is more important than ever because of it.
What am I missing?
Sounds like, IMO, the only thing you're missing is an "I'm too good to be bothered by you" attitude. I totally agree with you when you say the participants deserve a quality job. That game may very well be the highlight of somebodys athletic career...don't spoil it for them. It is also important to the parents watching the darlings compete. How will you feel knowing they have to explain why the jerk in the funny looking shirt didn't try and messed up the game (probably their opinion...not necessarily mine).

Since I was never a stud at any sport, I am probably overboard in this area. I think if your not going to give it your best effort and call the game properly, get the hell off the floor and let someone who will take your place.

I'll get off my soap box now.
Old Thu Sep 19, 2002, 02:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Are these games the same?

MOFFICIAL,

I could not agree with you more.

I do think that you need to make some modifications in calling some things. But it is not because you throw out rules or expectations, you just have to learn to manage the game a bit more. But I do think that officials that cut corners or take shortcuts are not very fun to work with at that level. I cannot speak for everyone, but usually a JH and Freshman games are not the same length as a varsity game. At least that is the way it is here.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 19, 2002, 02:55pm
Esteemed Participant

The short answer is :You're right and They're wrong... a better question for you to consider is "How can I bring them (the more experienced official who is being sloppy and lazy tonight) up to the level of professionalism I want to work this game at?" In other words, figure out some ways to get them to step up to your level - without alienating them...simple comments like "No, I'd like to do everything by the book tonight in this freshman game - it will help me tomorrow night in my varsity game"...that might work...if not, be prepared with something else to try...I guess what I am trying to say is don't just accept the fact that "they" are going to work the game that way - try to get them to work it your way...
Old Thu Sep 19, 2002, 04:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by MOFFICIAL
1) Why is it that when I work with "Varsity" officials doing lower level games they feel like we don't have to adhere to proper mechanics. It's eye contact and a wink and we're not switching on fouls or putting the ball in play at the closest spot to name a couple of examples.
If I were to be doing a JV game before their Varsity game and use those same "shortcuts" I would be reprimanded and not recommended for better assignments.
2) Why is it "their" philosophy to call less while kid's are being knocked down and violations are being overlooked.

What am I missing?

MOFFICIAL,
Perhaps their GOS meter is reading low, perhaps not.

Are you certain their game actually improves during a varsity contest?
May these "varsity" officials be mainly working sub-varsity games?

Stick to the official mechanics and use your experience and knowledge... all of it... every level.
My game is gonna suck equally on "all floors".

mick
Old Thu Sep 19, 2002, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

You are correct. Any official who can't give 100% shouldn't take the game. Give me a greenhorn for a partner at 100% over the best varsity ref at 50% anytime. I always keep in mind myself as a freshman on the frosh team (a few years ago). On game days, the entire day dragged and I could not wait until game time. I'm sure every lower level team has a few of those kids that their game means the world to them. To think that I would give any kid like that less than my all is not something I could ever do.

Z