The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 05:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Zero, double zero, triple zero!

I posted previously about the spring league I'm working and how we were told not to enforce any uniform rules other than safety issues. Some teams have two or three different dark jersey colors, most teams have numbers only on one side of the jersey and some don't have numbers at all.

However, I had a boys V team on Sunday that had a zero, a double zero and a triple zero! I must admit, I've never seen a triple zero on a uniform before. My partner had the first foul call on him and it was fun to watch him try to use his hand to signal the number. I could see he was laughing as he did it. This team had numbers on both the front and back of their jerseys, so this kid actually had a total of six zeros on his uniform.

Oh yeah, one kid on a JV team wears number three but it's on both the front and back of his jersey reversed, so it looked like an eight with the right part missing! When my partner pointed it out to me before our game, I said that team is the "Fighting Dyslexics".
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 05:13pm
Archaic Power Monger

I take it uniform rules weren't strictly enforced in this one?

I would've gone with "Ought, Double Ought and Triple Ought" for flavor.
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 06:13pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Sounds like my games last night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Some teams have two or three different dark jersey colors, most teams have numbers only on one side of the jersey and some don't have numbers at all.
Our spring leagues don't enfoce this rule either. I've always been told to slow down when I report, so I make it my business to do so......especially when having to visually signal 78 or 89! Sometimes my hands just don't work!!
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 06:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

He's The Military Hero Of The Nation ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I had a boys V team on Sunday that had a zero, a double zero and a triple zero!
Did any of them look like this:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 08:15pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I take it uniform rules weren't strictly enforced in this one?
Never mind...that's what I get for not reading close enough.
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Spring & Summer ball-What fun!,What laughs!

That same thing happened to me in a varsity girls summer league a few years ago. Don't remember what I did to make it through the summer but it must have been pretty hilarious.I also had a situation in JV Boys summer league where one school brought two sets of the same five numbers for the entire summer.We ended up getting this coach to substitute his kids hockey style:five on-five off.Coach was quite understanding and even humorous about the whole situation.

What is a typical summer workload for you guys as floor officials?
This summer I'm doing the book for Varsity Girls (Mon & Wed),JV Boys (Tues & Thurs), and Varsity Boys (Tues &Thurs) summer leagues. I'm scheduled for 110 games in five weeks.
Can't wait to get started
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

always a problem

Almost every game that I ref here has a jersey issue. Our league execs told me to enforce the jersey rules, but only by issuing techs for the improper outfits. For some teams, there aren't two players that have the same color shorts...so they wanted me to give one tech for each player!!!

I told them that I would issue one tech and charge it against the team captain (our teams don't have coaches). Little by little, these teams are starting to get the idea. I hope they don't read this thread and start writing "000" on their jerseys!!!
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 10:44am
9/11 - Never Forget

The Bizzarro World of Spring/Summer Leagues.....

I'm working a spring "Rising Junior/Seniors HS League." Basically, all the local HS have most of their aspiring V Players in the league - can't be coached by the V Coach, running clock, uniform issues, etc. But, my Association uses the league to train us as it is good ball and we have some excellent evaluators - so this is "my camp."

We had a uniform situation the other day that floored me. As I am walking to my position as U1, someone (don't know if it was a fellow official, coach, another player) apparently told B56 that he couldn't wear his shorts because they "had pockets" (uniform rule).

Now, most players just wear their shorts inside out - looks stupid, but, rules, is rules......

So, at the top of the key, B56 proceeds to DROP HIS SHORTS, turn them inside out, put them back on, tuck in his jersey and we are ready to play.

So.....I say to one of the evaluators later in the game - whatcha got? Ya can't take off your jersey in the visible confines of the court, but shorts?

PS - the guy had some great green and red vertical striped boxers on!
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I'm working a spring "Rising Junior/Seniors HS League." Basically, all the local HS have most of their aspiring V Players in the league - can't be coached by the V Coach, running clock, uniform issues, etc. But, my Association uses the league to train us as it is good ball and we have some excellent evaluators - so this is "my camp."

We had a uniform situation the other day that floored me. As I am walking to my position as U1, someone (don't know if it was a fellow official, coach, another player) apparently told B56 that he couldn't wear his shorts because they "had pockets" (uniform rule).

Now, most players just wear their shorts inside out - looks stupid, but, rules, is rules......

So, at the top of the key, B56 proceeds to DROP HIS SHORTS, turn them inside out, put them back on, tuck in his jersey and we are ready to play.

So.....I say to one of the evaluators later in the game - whatcha got? Ya can't take off your jersey in the visible confines of the court, but shorts?

PS - the guy had some great green and red vertical striped boxers on!
So, #56 is ok, but pockets aren't? I love camp.

You made me take a look for sure, but the rule does say "A team member shall not remove the jersey and/or pants/skirt in the visual confines of the playing area". That would've been a hellava loophole to leave in there.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 04:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fashion Police Gone Wild ???

Quote:
He couldn't wear his shorts because they "had pockets" (uniform rule). Now, most players just wear their shorts inside out - looks stupid, but, rules, is rules.
What rule states that uniform shorts can't have pockets? The only NFHS rule regarding uniform shorts that I'm aware of is:

NFHS 3-4-5: Uniform pants/skirts shall adhere to the following:
a. Only one visible manufacturer’s logo/trademark/reference is permitted. See
3-6-2 for size requirements.

Am I wrong? Please correct me if I am. Please.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 05:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
What rule states that uniform shorts can't have pockets?
There isn't any rule stating that pockets are illegal. There was no rules justification to have a player either remove shorts that had pockets or wear them inside out.

We do have the power to rule on safety issues and I suppose an OOO could rule that they were a safety problem. Personally, I'd never dream of doing so.
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
The official probably was worried that the player may have had a pair of brass knuckles in the pants pocket to be used at opportune times, or was worried that he had some sandpaper to scuff the ball so that the opponent's free throw shooter would have a flawed basketball to use for his attempt.
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 05:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
As I am walking to my position as U1, someone (don't know if it was a fellow official, coach, another player) apparently told B56 that he couldn't wear his shorts because they "had pockets" (uniform rule).

There is no uniform rule banning pockets. The individual R would have to rule that it was dangerous under R3-5-1, but that's a helluva stretch imo.

If it's a concern, the state governing body should be contacted to supply a ruling.

Seeing the great concern the official had about illegal shorts, did he have the same concern for an illegal shirt-#56?

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Wed May 12, 2010 at 05:21pm.
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 06:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
What rule states that uniform shorts can't have pockets? The only NFHS rule regarding uniform shorts that I'm aware of is:

NFHS 3-4-5: Uniform pants/skirts shall adhere to the following:
a. Only one visible manufacturer’s logo/trademark/reference is permitted. See
3-6-2 for size requirements.

Am I wrong? Please correct me if I am. Please.

It's right after the rule that says undershirts can't have long sleeves.
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 09:20pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Remember, this is summer/spring league....

Hence the post about a penny w/ 000 on it.

This league has a few unique rules, i.e. - no shorts with pockets unless they're inside out, but pennies w/ illegal numbers are apparently ok. Undershirts, sleeves, uniforms tucked in, plus other rules are enforced by NFHS standards. Go figure.