The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 10:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Stupid question...I assume the infraction is still signaled?
Not a stupid question.
Yes, it's still signaled, I didn't address my hand signals, which still include the numbers on the jersey and the infraction.
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 11:14am
Archaic Power Monger

Interesting. What is the rationale for not verbalizing the infraction? Giving somebody one less thing to argue about?
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 11:19am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Interesting. What is the rationale for not verbalizing the infraction? Giving somebody one less thing to argue about?
Yep.
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 11:27am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Yep. I've been taught - "you can't quote silence." In the case of reporting, less talk is better.

"Red, 24" (insert signal) "two"
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Funny how various regions do things differently! Out here "Foul is on" and "contact" are frowned upon.
This reminded me of an official in our association who's signals and reporting style seems to be different than the rest of us.

I was asked a few years ago to work with him on his mechanics. It was felt that he had good judgement but he just didn't look the part. His main problem was his less than fit look and his sloppy mechanics. His signals were never sharp and we tried to help him but he has not changed one bit. Thus he could probably working a higher level if it weren't for his mechanics.

Here's how he reports an "illegal use of the hands" foul. "I've got a foul on Blue 12, that's Blue 12. Hits. Two shots". Around here we don't verbalize the foul and the few that do never say "hits".
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 11:39am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
I forgot to ask. How would you report "twenty-four" in binary?
One finger, one finger, clenched fist, clenched fist, clenched fist.

Screw it. I'm sticking with base ten (or base six, in this case).
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 11:43am
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
This reminded me of an official in our association who's signals and reporting style seems to be different than the rest of us.
Speaking of "old school" (the terminlogy, not the person), we had a guy the other night not only bird-dog on a foul, but as he reported to the table, he pointed to the bench of the player the foul was on as the first mechanic/visual aid of his procedure......
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Speaking of "old school" (the terminlogy, not the person), we had a guy the other night not only bird-dog on a foul, but as he reported to the table, he pointed to the bench of the player the foul was on as the first mechanic/visual aid of his procedure......
I've seen that as well! Usually from the older -errr- more experienced officials...
I'm guessing that's how it used to be done at one time?
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 12:11pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I work a lot of rec games with a guy who does that (pointing to the bench, not bird dogging - and he uses his entire hand to point, not just one finger). He also wears a collared shirt and cuffed pants with a belt. He's a pretty good official, though.
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 12:13pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
So, I've been told. Heard it hasn't been around for "quite a while." Maybe Sr., Bob, Billy or one of our other more "senior" Forum Members can tell us about how long ago......
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 12:15pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I work a lot of rec games with a guy who does that (pointing to the bench, not bird dogging - and he uses his entire hand to point, not just one finger). He also wears a collared shirt and cuffed pants with a belt. He's a pretty good official, though.
Yepperdoodle, that thar would be the mechanic!
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've seen that as well! Usually from the older -errr- more experienced officials...
I'm sure Jurassic could chime in and let everyone know what it was like "back in the day". I m just glad we got rid of the zipper and butterfly collared shirts!!
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I work a lot of rec games with a guy who does that (pointing to the bench, not bird dogging - and he uses his entire hand to point, not just one finger).
The only time, in my short career, where I've used this mechanic was when I was working a game at a deaf school where the person working the book was deaf. In fact, they looked at me weird when I didn't do it the first couple of times! Hahaha
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 01:34pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

I think this weekend at spring league, I'm going to report the fouls in pig-latin.

"U-blay, entytway orfay, ootay otshay."

Maybe I'll signal the number with my toes, too. It won't take me too long to remove, then put back on, my shoes and socks each time.

Of course, if there's a hot mom at the table, I can just hope there's a foul on number 1 or 11. I can signal that a completely different way!

OK - I'm waiting for the remark which has her saying, "Huh? We don't have a number 1/2."
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Of course, if there's a hot mom at the table, I can just hope there's a foul on number 1 or 11. I can signal that a completely different way!

OK - I'm waiting for the remark which has her saying, "Huh? We don't have a number 1/2."
Yup...he went there...