The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 20, 2010, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Sweating

This might not be the biggest issue an official might face, but I was wondering if any other officials here have an issue of excessive sweating? I've always been a "sweater" even when I played, but no one will look at you sideways if you've sweat through your jersey as a player, but as an official, I'm afraid it might look like I'm out of shape, or even worse, unprofessional.

During AAU or rec ball I'll wear the zebra stripes which usually holds up pretty well, but during the high school season our association wears the gray jersey's and it is easily noticeable that I've sweat right through that in the first half.

My palms also get very wet and a few times I've seen a player at the free throw line look at me with frustration as I've handed him the ball with my sweat on it. I sometimes bring a small towel to the scores table before games and dry my hands off during time outs. No one has said anything to me about it, but does that look bad during dead balls?

Man, I sure don't want to be known as the "sweaty ref" around these parts
Old Tue Apr 20, 2010, 06:57pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Do you wear an Under Armor or McDavid undergarment under your uniform? That helps wick some of the sweat away. Do you change shirts at half-time? That could also help a bit.

I see allot of sweaters (fortunately I'm not one), but most have gone to the new, lighter stripes. Do the grays come in the new breathable material?

Good luck!
Old Tue Apr 20, 2010, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Do you wear an Under Armor or McDavid undergarment under your uniform? That helps wick some of the sweat away. Do you change shirts at half-time? That could also help a bit.

I see allot of sweaters (fortunately I'm not one), but most have gone to the new, lighter stripes. Do the grays come in the new breathable material?

Good luck!
I have a black McDavid jersey, but that doesn't seem to do much as an undergarment. Never tried Under Armor or Nike's Dry Fit. Hummm, changing shirts at half-time is a good idea. Can't believe I never thought of that
Old Tue Apr 20, 2010, 07:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sweat Gets In My Eyes ...

A few seasons ago the members of my local IAABO board wore a single, black, wristband in memory of the passing of our long time assigner, secretary treasurer, past local president, and past IAABO international president. I really liked wearing the wristband, and would often use it during games to wipe the sweat from my forehead, and keep the sweat from getting into eyes. I really got used to it. That was only allowed for that one season, and it is now considered to be "out of uniform" to wear a wristband. Too bad.

Of course, now I have a ready excuse when a coach politely accuses me of missing a call. "Sorry Coach. I got sweat in my eyes".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Apr 20, 2010, 09:03pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I sweat a lot. I always use mousse or gel to help with hair. The UnderArmor shirt really does help and the micro-mesh breathes easier and the jersey doesn't look like there are sweat pockets on it. As long as you try those things and maybe even a halftime change--although you'll need to contact Tanner if you have 4 AAU games in a day for a carry all recommendation--you should be fine. In other words, I wouldn't sweat it.
Old Tue Apr 20, 2010, 09:51pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
I always use mousse or gel to help with hair.
It must be tough to train a moose to help with your hair!
Old Tue Apr 20, 2010, 10:00pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
They are easier than mice.
Old Wed Apr 21, 2010, 05:35am
9/11 - Never Forget

Me not understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Quote:
They are easier than mice.
Please to be explaining this......
Old Wed Apr 21, 2010, 01:24pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Moose are co-operative when you threaten them with chocolate. Mice are not.
Old Wed Apr 21, 2010, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Just don't offer a moose a muffin. Because if you give a moose a muffin ...
Old Wed Apr 21, 2010, 02:24pm
9/11 - Never Forget

You Da Man Gapper.....

Quote:
Moose are co-operative when you threaten them with chocolate. Mice are not.
Learn something new every day!

Thanks for my edification!
Old Wed Apr 21, 2010, 03:39pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptflea2 View Post
This might not be the biggest issue an official might face, but I was wondering if any other officials here have an issue of excessive sweating? I've always been a "sweater" even when I played, but no one will look at you sideways if you've sweat through your jersey as a player, but as an official, I'm afraid it might look like I'm out of shape, or even worse, unprofessional.

During AAU or rec ball I'll wear the zebra stripes which usually holds up pretty well, but during the high school season our association wears the gray jersey's and it is easily noticeable that I've sweat right through that in the first half.

My palms also get very wet and a few times I've seen a player at the free throw line look at me with frustration as I've handed him the ball with my sweat on it. I sometimes bring a small towel to the scores table before games and dry my hands off during time outs. No one has said anything to me about it, but does that look bad during dead balls?

My JuCo conference utilizes Grey shirts. Our supervisor has made it very clear that if we sweat through our shirt in the 1st half we are expected to change shirts at halftime.
Old Sat Apr 24, 2010, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptflea2 View Post

I have linked below to a product that I discovered ~15 years ago. I used to ruin white dress shirts. I use it on my underarms. Do not sweat at all under my arms. The product says it can be used on hands and feet also. You might want to give it a try.
CertainDri® - Make certain you're dry... with Certain Dri
Old Sun Apr 25, 2010, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

thanks for the link, I'll give it a try.