The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   "I Bet You Didn't Know" (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57819-i-bet-you-didnt-know.html)

Mark Padgett Tue Apr 06, 2010 01:05pm

"I Bet You Didn't Know"

Each Monday, a local auto group runs an ad in the sports section of our local newspaper that looks like a column and has the title shown above. It's always a story (or two, or three) of some unusual sports event from the past. This week, one of the stories was of Hofstra guard Charles Jenkins, who in January, scored eight points in five seconds against UNC Wilmington.

According to the story, he was fouled while making a layup, an intentional foul was called on the shot and then the opposing coach got a technical. Jenkins made all four free throws (plus the layup) for six points. That's when I think there's an error in the story. It says he "stole the inbound pass and scored". If there was a technical, wouldn't his team have had the ball to inbound? My guess is he just received the inbound pass and scored.

College guys - isn't the NCAA rule on inbounding following a technical the same as NF - the team that shot the free throws gets the ball?

26 Year Gap Tue Apr 06, 2010 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 672850)
Each Monday, a local auto group runs an ad in the sports section of our local newspaper that looks like a column and has the title shown above. It's always a story (or two, or three) of some unusual sports event from the past. This week, one of the stories was of Hofstra guard Charles Jenkins, who in January, scored eight points in five seconds against UNC Wilmington.

According to the story, he was fouled while making a layup, an intentional foul was called on the shot and then the opposing coach got a technical. Jenkins made all four free throws (plus the layup) for six points. That's when I think there's an error in the story. It says he "stole the inbound pass and scored". If there was a technical, wouldn't his team have had the ball to inbound? My guess is he just received the inbound pass and scored.

College guys - isn't the NCAA rule on inbounding following a technical the same as NF - the team that shot the free throws gets the ball?

Maybe he stole it from a teammate.

Adam Tue Apr 06, 2010 01:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 672850)

I'm not a college guy, but the rule is different. This T sounds like the POI variety. That said, POI should have been the shots for the intentional which would include the ball for the throw-in as well.

Raymond Tue Apr 06, 2010 01:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 672859)
I'm not a college guy, but the rule is different. This T sounds like the POI variety. That said, POI should have been the shots for the intentional which would include the ball for the throw-in as well.

What Snaq's said.

Mark Padgett Tue Apr 06, 2010 02:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 672859)

If that was the case, his team still would have been inbounding the ball, right?

Raymond Tue Apr 06, 2010 02:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 672868)
If that was the case, his team still would have been inbounding the ball, right?

Yes, Team A gets designated spot throw-in as part of the intentional foul administration. Technical free throws would have been shot before the free throws for the intentional foul.

Mark Padgett Tue Apr 06, 2010 02:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 672871)
Yes, Team A gets designated spot throw-in as part of the intentional foul administration. Technical free throws would have been shot before the free throws for the intentional foul.

So, fouls are not shot in the order in which the occurred, as in NF. Thanks for the clarification. All this tells me is that the column info was incorrect, as I thought.

Oh yeah - one of their dealerships (I drive by it a lot) has incorrect punctuation on a lot of their signs. The are using - 's - to indicate plural when it actually indicates possessive or a conjunction. A HS English teacher who is also a fellow ref and friend of mine told me he laughs every time he drives by there.

Can you tell I haven't had any games for the past few weeks and I'm bored?

M&M Guy Tue Apr 06, 2010 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 672872)

Nope, can't tell a difference.

:p

All_Heart Tue Apr 06, 2010 03:59pm

I looked it up for you Mark :)

This is from the boxscore:

It doesn't show a steal so you are probably right that it was Hofstra's ball and they passed the ball in resulting in Charles Jenkins getting 2 more points.

GOOD! LAYUP by Jenkins, Charles [FB/PNT] 09:21 28-9
09:21 FOUL by Basnight, Jeremy (P1T7)
09:21 FOUL TECHNCL by the bench
GOOD! FT SHOT by Jenkins, Charles 09:21 29-9 FOUL by (TEAM) (P1T8)
GOOD! FT SHOT by Jenkins, Charles 09:21 30-9
GOOD! FT SHOT by Jenkins, Charles 09:21 31-9
GOOD! FT SHOT by Jenkins, Charles 09:21 32-9
GOOD! JUMPER by Jenkins, Charles [PNT] 09:16 34-9

grunewar Tue Apr 06, 2010 05:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 672872)

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 672879)
Nope, can't tell a difference. :p

I can!

No stories on T's, tossing coaches, weird plays none of us could imagine, and hot moms..... when does the next season start?

Mark Padgett Tue Apr 06, 2010 08:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 672928)
I can!

No stories on T's, tossing coaches, weird plays none of us could imagine, and hot moms..... when does the next season start?

Spring league(s) start(s) Saturday. I'm probably working two of them.