The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Planned Timeout (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57735-planned-timeout.html)

bas2456 Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:05pm

Planned Timeout

This situation may or may not have happened at the end of the Tenn/MSU game yesterday.

MSU player on the line shooting the second of two. He made the first to put Sparty up by one. He purposely missed the second and let Tennessee get the rebound so the clock would start. Tennessee got a timeout right away.

What I don't know, was whether or not Tennessee had asked for the timeout before the free throw. Whether he actually did or not is irrelevant, but the situation I'm sure has come up before in your games.

How do you handle a player or coach saying to you something along the lines of "If we get this rebound we want a timeout"?

Nevadaref Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:12pm

"Okay, I'll look for your request, coach."

Adam Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:26pm

ask those who make assignments and evaluations in your area.

JRutledge Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:20am

I do not think it really matters what the person you assign says, mainly because you need to do what you know in the moment. I would not ever take a request without that request being made. Coaches change their minds all the time and will try to scapegoat you if you do something they do not like at the moment. Just ask the coach to make the request when you want the timeout and if they do not ask for the request, then do not call the timeout.

Peace

just another ref Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:38am

Normally, this is a moot point. Prearranged or not, the head coach, and likely others as well, hopefully including players, will start yelling timeout before the free throw ever reaches the rim.

Zoochy Tue Mar 30, 2010 08:42am

Putting time back on the clock

What bothered me about the play is when they went to the monitor to review the play they only took .2 seconds off the original time. I thought that at least .3 seconds had to come off the clock?

Adam Tue Mar 30, 2010 08:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 671551)
What bothered me about the play is when they went to the monitor to review the play they only took .2 seconds off the original time. I thought that at least .3 seconds had to come off the clock?

No such rule.

Indianaref Tue Mar 30, 2010 09:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 671555)
No such rule.

You're right as far as NFHS. What about NCAA?

grunewar Tue Mar 30, 2010 09:18am

I think we discussed this in the chatroom that it's an NBA rule that .3 comes off the clock. Don't recall NCAA.

Am I misremembering?

Raymond Tue Mar 30, 2010 09:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 671563)
I think we discussed this in the chatroom that it's an NBA rule that .3 comes off the clock. Don't recall NCAA.

Am I misremembering?

No specified amount of time is indicated in the NCAA rule book.

grunewar Tue Mar 30, 2010 09:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 671565)
No specified amount of time is indicated in the NCAA rule book.

It was discussed that this might not be a bad thing as to take the guesswork out of just how long it was .......if it is.3 each time, makes it simpler.

Pantherdreams Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:38am

Ahh and this is where officiating FIBA has an upside. No live ball timeouts, all timeouts must be directed to the table by the coach during dead ball situations.

Adam Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantherdreams (Post 671606)
Ahh and this is where officiating FIBA has an upside. No live ball timeouts, all timeouts must be directed to the table by the coach during dead ball situations.

Live ball timeouts are such a part of our game here, I'd hate to lose them.

BillyMac Tue Mar 30, 2010 04:55pm

You Have Got To Be Kidding ??? Unless You're Really A Coach ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 671608)
Live ball timeouts are such a part of our game here, I'd hate to lose them..

Fixed it for you.

Adam Tue Mar 30, 2010 05:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 671691)
Fixed it for you.

Wasn't kidding, and keep your blue ink to yourself. :)