The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Duke/Baylor (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57720-duke-baylor.html)

canuckrefguy Sun Mar 28, 2010 06:13pm

Duke/Baylor

Couple things...

The charge/block - I thought Zuback was JUST there, so good call.

Looks like Scott Thornley came in with a T on Quincy Acy in that scrum with about a minute left. Thoughts?

Pantherdreams Sun Mar 28, 2010 06:17pm

I think if your gonna call that and it was clear enough that i don't disagree, you also need to call any comment or swinging and pushing that occurs in that scrum. To pick out one poor overreaction over another, particularly at that point seems excessively punitive.

mutantducky Sun Mar 28, 2010 06:35pm

on the charging I said charging right away, replay showed it could have gone either way. I thought it was a double T before the commercial break which would have been fine. I'd rather have the refs not give a T to only one side there but no biggie and unlikely to be that controversial.
I give the Baylor coach credit for not getting after the refs. In the games I saw he hardly seems to disagree at all compared to the other coaches.
That Duke PG was awesome.
my ideal final even though I picked Duke to make it: WV vs Butler.

grunewar Sun Mar 28, 2010 06:39pm

y'all shoulda been in the chat room during the game......

Adam Sun Mar 28, 2010 06:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 671166)
on the charging I said charging right away, replay showed it could have gone either way. I thought it was a double T before the commercial break which would have been fine. I'd rather have the refs not give a T to only one side there but no biggie and unlikely to be that controversial. I give the Baylor coach credit for not getting after the refs. In the games I saw he hardly seems to disagree at all compared to the other coaches.
That Duke PG was awesome.
my ideal final even though I picked Duke to make it: WV vs Butler.

Why?

Nevadaref Sun Mar 28, 2010 07:03pm

I don't believe that a T was called prior to the crew consulting the monitor. Upon video review a T was charged to Acy for intentional contact with an opponent during a dead ball.

bas2456 Sun Mar 28, 2010 07:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 671172)
I don't believe that a T was called prior to the crew consulting the monitor. Upon video review a T was charged to Acy for intentional contact with an opponent during a dead ball.

There most definitely was. The official was screened from the camera on the replay, but you could see him distinctly pick up his whistle and make the signal for "T"

canuckrefguy Sun Mar 28, 2010 07:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 671172)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 671174)
There most definitely was. The official was screened from the camera on the replay, but you could see him distinctly pick up his whistle and make the signal for "T"

Thornley observed the scrum and nailed Acy for a "third man in" bump on the Duke player.

I'd be inclined to agree with pantherdreams - for the two guys involved in the original scrum. The third guy in has no excuse.

Nevadaref Sun Mar 28, 2010 07:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuckrefguy (Post 671160)
The charge/block - I thought Zuback was JUST there, so good call.

The video confirms your thought.
I was able to pause the mmod.ncaa.com video with Acy's left foot still on the floor and Zoubek in position with both of his feet on the floor inside the lane and his torso facing Acy. He got there just in the nick of time.

There wasn't a great deal of contact. It was a glancing blow as the shooter jumped back towards the middle of the lane, but the contact was in the chest area of the defender and he smartly went down.

Nevadaref Sun Mar 28, 2010 07:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 671174)

Okay, I'll check the video and see if I can find that.

Edit...

Yep, Thornley does whistle and give the T signal, but he does it twice. There is a tap-tap, before he points to Acy, which looks like a double-T at first.

I will say that I don't like him making the call of a T here when his partner is the one who jumps between Acy and Smith and has the best vantage point on the situation. I believe that he should have left the decision on how to handle it to him.

bas2456 Sun Mar 28, 2010 07:26pm

I saw the Zoubek play. How close was he to the restricted area? My memory is failing me.

Adam Sun Mar 28, 2010 07:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 671178)
I saw the Zoubek play. How close was he to the restricted area? My memory is failing me.

about 5 feet.

Nevadaref Sun Mar 28, 2010 07:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 671178)

He is one foot inside the lane line and parallel to it. He would have been outside of the NBA circle.

Rich Sun Mar 28, 2010 07:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 671177)

Edit...

Yep, Thornley does whistle and give the T signal, but he does it twice. There is a tap-tap, before he points to Acy, which looks like a double-T at first.

I will say that I don't like him making the call of a T here when his partner is the one who jumps between Acy and Smith and has the best vantage point on the situation. I believe that he should have left the decision on how to handle it to him.

This is one situation where it may have been useful for Thornley to keep his eyes forward instead of looking at the bench while granting the timeout.

canuckrefguy Sun Mar 28, 2010 08:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 671177)

Edit...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 671185)
This is one situation where it may have been useful for Thornley to keep his eyes forward instead of looking at the bench while granting the timeout.

On the replay you can see he has a wide-angle view of the third guy coming into the fray.

I don't know that you couldn't pass on the T - but I don't think you can necessarily call it incorrect, either by rule, or in terms of crew mechanics.