The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 26, 2000, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Thumbs up

Bruce,
I for one am glad to see some face's other then the same guys as last year! Not taking away from anyone who has been on top of the heep, but the coaches do have a say in the advancement of officials in the Tournament.

I have a close friend that is still working as of yesterday and i hope that he can "survive" and make it to the FINAL FOUR.

I just finished a regional tournament held about 50 miles from town, the four of us each officiated 10 games starting on Wednesday and finishing on Saturday. We worked with different ofiicals each game and the coaches Voted on who would work the championship games. The coaches were very happy with the 2 crews (2 man) and with the consistency that we officiated the tournament, that to me was a very nice complement.

Good Luck

------------------
Don
Old Sun Mar 26, 2000, 02:52am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Am I the only one to notice that a lot of referees who are not nationally known are officiating the Sweet 16?
Is this a direct result of the NCAA requiring officials to sign that waiver at teh beginning of the year?
Anyone care to comment on Dick Papparo officiating a final 8 game? Dick's best days are behind him and the coaches were certainly barking at him throughout the game, a lot more toward him than toward Tim Higgins and the other referee who I do not know.
Old Sun Mar 26, 2000, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Nice to hear from you again Don.
Yes new blood is good, unfortunately the people I know officiating did not get past the first round.
Did you know that Lonnie Dixon used to be in the Air Force? Hope he moves forward.
By the way what happened to cause Dixon to eject the coach from Iowa State? I missed just the last 1:00 of the game.
Old Sun Mar 26, 2000, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Cool

I watched the first half of the Game in a BAR/RESTAURANT after our game and by the time i got home they were cutting down the nets.
I do remember seeing the Iowa St. coach foaming at the mouth at the end of the 1st half. We had to hit the road and get home.
2 techs caused him to go what led up to that i have no idea.

Later

------------------
Don
Old Sun Mar 26, 2000, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Larry Eustachy was a finalist for the UNLV job. We should have taken him rather than Billy Bayno. Bayno coninutes to show that he cannot motivates his players for the 'big' game. Iowa State had a nice run.