The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 10, 2010, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Ref. responds to fan

At a boys 14U game last night... close, competitive, game in a fairly small gym. Bleachers on one side, opposite the table, with a sparse crowd but lots of cheering. (No personal interest in this one, as I was there early for my daughter's JV game after the boys 14U)

Mid 4th quarter, R is trail near the table and calls travelling on a drive to the basket. A fan mid-way up says "he get's two steps ref!" Everyone could hear it, but it didn't strike me, personally, as excessively loud or demonstrative. (more background... can't remember any other audible criticism from the bleachers to the officials during the game...)

From across the floor near the table, R says directly to the parent (with volume that cannot be missed) "o.k., if you want to embarrass yourself, I'll tell you what he did. He picked it up and took a step, and then he took two more!" R turns around to go the other way, and the game continues.

I watch the crews more than the game sometimes, and soak up the education the folks on this forum offer. I'm new here and to officiating, so I sure haven't seen or heard everything, but this was definitely new. It struck me that this comment from R to fan was very awkward and out of place. Am I wrong in that thinking?...
Old Wed Mar 10, 2010, 10:18am
Keeper of the HAMMER

1. The fan was a moron.
2. The ref would have been better off ignoring the fan.
3. I'm assuming 14U means it's not a school sanctioned game; all bets are off.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2010, 10:23am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukester View Post
... It struck me that this comment from R to fan was very awkward and out of place. Am I wrong in that thinking?...
We're human too. We do/say things we wish we could take back later. I had a moment last night doing military intramural ball I would like to take back.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2010, 10:24am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
We're human too. We do/say things we wish we could take back later. I had a moment last night doing military intramural ball I would like to take back.
I really should get involved in that.

maybe
Old Wed Mar 10, 2010, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukester View Post
I watch the crews more than the game sometimes, and soak up the education the folks on this forum offer. I'm new here and to officiating, so I sure haven't seen or heard everything, but this was definitely new.
If you truly want to learn how to be a better official from watching other officials, don't use rec league officials as your point of reference. Instead, go to a high school varsity game and pay attention. For the most part, rec league officials do not have the training or experience to be taken as mentors.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2010, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

As a fairly new official myself, I posted a thread 3 yrs ago about interacting with the fans. The consensus was new official = NO. So I still don't, however, I have worked with some veteran officials who sometimes do...and are successful at it. Maybe someday I will be able to know when you can and can not...but for now, I don't. If a fan gets to abusive then call game mgmt to take care of it.

Edit: Rec league only, never seen it in a Varsity game

Last edited by Indianaref; Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 10:55am.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2010, 10:57am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I really should get involved in that.

maybe
I do it first because I spent over 20 years of playing military basketball and this is one area of officiating where I am truly doing it to give back to the community.

Secondly, I definitely prefer it over kiddie ball. Even though the talent level is sometimes lacking I'm still reffing grown men who can make athletic plays and the play is definitely physical. So I'm still required to use the same judgement on advantage/disadvantage as I would in HS/College games.

Thirdly, it's a true test of your game management skills. Last night I would give myself a D- for how I handled one particular situation. But a lesson learned that I will take forward with me.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2010, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
If you truly want to learn how to be a better official from watching other officials, don't use rec league officials as your point of reference. Instead, go to a high school varsity game and pay attention. For the most part, rec league officials do not have the training or experience to be taken as mentors.
I hear you and agree. This was actually private-school ball and I'm all but certain these guys were local assoc. chapter guys but not sure.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2010, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
new official = NO.
Doesn't matter how many years you've been doing it; nothing good comes from talking with the fans (or anyone in the stands).

It looks bad and will never lead to anything good happening.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2010, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=JPNY25;667428]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
new official = NO.

Doesn't matter how many years you've been doing it; nothing good comes from talking with the fans (or anyone in the stands).

It looks bad and will never lead to anything good happening.
+1

From what I've learned, ya' never know who that fan knows or who else might be in the crowd observing your behavior.

It's always best to ignore the fans. After you've been officiating for a while, it's amazing how the fans actually blend into the background and become nearly invisible anyway.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2010, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

With fans you can't get it trouble for something you don't say!! Having said that I did have a nice interaction with a grandmother over the weekend. She said I was doing a fine job and hoped I would keep it up in the second half!! I asked her "How much is it worth to you?" She had this look on her face!! I told her that I bet she was a good cook, she said she certainly was, and I told her a good meatloaf is worth several calls. In lieu of that a batch of oatmeal raisin cookies would do!! She got a chuckle out of it as did the fans around her!! Of course, if I ever made a call against their team the rest of the game, they would say "That is one less cookie for you!!" SOrt of hillbilly Soup Nazis!!
Old Wed Mar 10, 2010, 12:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

We've all been in situations where we were just itching to say something, to put a fan in his place. Most of us refrain 99.99999999991% of the time. However, the guy who falls into this trap isn't necessarily a bad official; just human.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2010, 01:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

I agree in principle that we should not talk to fans but we should avoid saying always and never unless we understand when you night have to talk to fans. I agree that this is dangerous territory but I have learned depending on the level and situation talking to a fan might be OK. Usually that is very rare but I have seen it done in the right situation. This did not appear to be the right situation at all but sometimes the lower the level and the less people in. attendance might dictate this. And most of the time I have talked to fans is in a very non controversial manner. After all we are human and not robots. I feel sometimes we shod show that we are human. But I would never advocate arguing with fans. You cannot win there at all. But if you say something that will make folks laugh you might just win them over or get a positive result.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 10, 2010, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

No, you should not interract with fans. I will say that it is much tougher to ignore in non-sanctioned, weekend/rec basketball. Often there really isn't game management around and often you work a number of games in a row and you get get tired of the stupid comments. Also, since there are aften fewer fans at those games, the few idiots are easy to hear and find. I had more than my share of comments for fans back when I worked that stuff, and I really don't miss doing those types of games anymore. They are great places to work on mechanics and such when you're new, but I've given them up for the most part.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2010, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

How would everyone handle a sitiation where a fan(s) are verbally sparring with players? Had this one a few weeks ago in a moderately rough.....wait for it......rec game.