The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 12:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If I am that thirsty, I go wherever I am closest to and get a drink. In football teams come to us and offer drinks and it is usually who is there. I do not care which team does it. I will not refuse drinks unless I am really not thirsty. I do not think it is that big of a deal. The only consideration is maybe I will not go over to a bench when I have had a problem, but I am not that insecure where I cannot handle myself so it is not a problem.

Peace
I honestly hadn't even thought of whether there are issues. I've not seen a single official do it (go to the bench for water) in basketball here, and I'm not interested in being "that guy."
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

I am pretty sure that most places have a porcelan water bowl!!
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I honestly hadn't even thought of whether there are issues. I've not seen a single official do it (go to the bench for water) in basketball here, and I'm not interested in being "that guy."

Pssst, did you see that snaqs guy? He was near a Gatorade thermos at the end of the bench and actually sipped some water. I'm tellin' ya, I saw him do it. Ohh, I saw it!
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 03:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Pssst, did you see that snaqs guy? He was near a Gatorade thermos at the end of the bench and actually sipped some water. I'm tellin' ya, I saw him do it. Ohh, I saw it!
LOL, I'd rather the "that guy" who called a T for flopping.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 05:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Eat Your Hearts Out Guys ...

What I'm about to tell you is 100% true. We have a private prep school in our area that offers a cooler filled with ice, a few cans of soda, and a few cans of beer, in the locker room, after every game. Nothing like a frosty, cold one right after a game. Heaven.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 06:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Billy,

You must be talking about the Chicago Catholic League. They used to do that all the time around here.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 06:14pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
What I'm about to tell you is 100% true. We have a private prep school in our area that offers a cooler filled with ice, a few cans of soda, and a few cans of beer, in the locker room, after every game. Nothing like a frosty, cold one right after a game. Heaven.
I can't wait for the posts to come, which I will summarize in advance:

"Gasp!"
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 06:15pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Nothing like a frosty, cold one right after a game. Heaven.
As long as you don't have a game in the morning, right?
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 06:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I remember back in the day (the late 80s/early 90s) where the driver would have a cooler in the trunk and we'd have a beer cracked before the car was out of the parking lot. Even in the 2-man days, a six pack was considered a "short trip."

Probably best that those days are gone forever.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 06:48pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
you really don't need to ask. Just simply walk over and grab a cup.

Just curious, has anyone ever heard a coach, player, or fan say: "you haven't given us a call all game and i know why....you had a drink from the other team!"....

C'mon people...if you're thirsty (which doesn't happen all that often during a game), just grab a drink.

If you still don't feel comfortable taking a drink during a game, that's your prerogative. I just don't understand why people feel that this is a big "no - no".
+1

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Billy,

You must be talking about the Chicago Catholic League. They used to do that all the time around here.

Peace

HaHaha! I was talking to a Catholic league AD a few weeks ago about the good ol' days! Sadly, I missed 'em.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 10:42am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I remember back in the day (the late 80s/early 90s) where the driver would have a cooler in the trunk and we'd have a beer cracked before the car was out of the parking lot. Even in the 2-man days, a six pack was considered a "short trip."

Probably best that those days are gone forever.
I remember those days, they weren't that long ago for me. I agree with your final assessment, though.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

What is the big deal about getting a drink (cup of water from end of the bench) during a time-out? We are running up and down the floor just like the players and they get water during time-outs...If I am thristy I will walk over and grab a cup of water. I don't think it is unprofessional at all and I haven't ever had anyone question why I am drinking water during the game. I also say "purple" and "orange" when teams have uniforms that color so maybe I am just strange.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 01:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
I also say "purple" and "orange" when teams have uniforms that color so maybe I am just strange.
*gasp*
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 01:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
What is the big deal about getting a drink (cup of water from end of the bench) during a time-out? We are running up and down the floor just like the players and they get water during time-outs...If I am thristy I will walk over and grab a cup of water. I don't think it is unprofessional at all and I haven't ever had anyone question why I am drinking water during the game. I also say "purple" and "orange" when teams have uniforms that color so maybe I am just strange.
That's a fine in our games. Saying "purple", that is. I cannot call bright orange "red" no matter what -- it just doesn't compute for me for some reason.