The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 05, 2002, 09:35am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by A Dutch Ref
I don't understand why they don't just send the Lakers, the Nets, or one of the other great NBA teams??

ER
That would be a PR nightmare:
"Lakers beat the World"
Old Thu Sep 05, 2002, 09:40am
Do not give a damn!!

Very.

Quote:
I read this:

"Reggie (Miller) brought us together,'' Pierce said. "He said the world is against us. The world, the stands, the refs are all against us. The only thing we can do is go out and play hard the rest of the games and get the gold medal.''

on http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/0904/1427403.html

Don't you think that that's a little childish??

ADR
ADR, not only is it childish, but I guess the world told them to get dunked on continuously. I guess the world told them to miss open looks and give easy layups. I will give you one or two points, but not 15!!! If I am not mistaken, Argentina had 4 players that play or will be playing NBA games this season. No Reggie and the other NBA "No Stars" did what they always do, think they can take everyone by their ability alone. That is why they got their *** kicked.

Peace

Peace
Old Thu Sep 05, 2002, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: childish?

Quote:
Originally posted by hawkk
Well isn't a leader's job to find some way to buck the troops and move forward? Seems to be that Reggie wasn't making excuses -- he didn't say anything to the press, just to his team -- but trying to get them motivated to come back for the next game. I'd call it head games rather than childishness. T'wil be interesting to see if the loss leads to a stronger team going next time.
Welcome to the board hawkk. But I think maybe you've been
watching too many good ole' war movies, like Mick says
true pro's don't need to be bucked up by this silly kind of
"it's us against the world" stuff. They know what has to be
done and they do it, getting the job done is motivation enough.
Old Thu Sep 05, 2002, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
I don't understand why they don't just send the Lakers, the Nets, or one of the other great NBA teams??

ER
That would be a PR nightmare:
"Lakers beat the World"
...and this would be worse:

"World beats the Lakers"

Old Thu Sep 05, 2002, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
How about the great move by Jermaine O'Neal after he had a dunk attempt blocked?
I just went and watched the highlights on SportsCenter. It was dumb, but it was just frustration, I think. The announcer said that it was called an intentional foul, and that seems right to me. It was obviously intentional, but it didn't seem like an attempt to injure the other player. Just an immature reaction to not getting his way. And these are the people that "earn" millions of dollars a year. Sigh

Chuck
Old Thu Sep 05, 2002, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

On any given night...

We beat the Russians in hockey when they were untouchable. Upsets happen against soccer world powers now and then.

The other countries aren't as good as the U.S., but they are close enough that if they play their best and the U.S. underestimates them, we can lose. It isn't that surprising. It will be much more surprising if we fail to win the gold medal now that the wake-up call has been made.

Isn't Jermaine O'Neal still a kid?

Z
Old Thu Sep 05, 2002, 11:49am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

ER
I'm not sure you should use "Nets" and "great NBA team" in the same sentence...also, O'Neal is - I believe- 24 years old now...so he may act like a child, but he certainly should know better...after listening to him whine for 4 years here in Portland, nothing he does surprises me...didn't see the game, but the local paper here made it sound like the boys got their butts kicked pretty handily...never led...only one tie...down by 20 at two different times...hmmmm...can you see "big-headed"...
Old Thu Sep 05, 2002, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Hey, Chuck.

Interesting theory - never looked at it that way. As I understand it, many European countries have "basketball academies", similar to the prep schools in the US. We in the US are so ignorant of the goings on in the rest of the world. I would like to see an ESPN special on the growth of basketball worldwide, the structure of European leagues, etc, etc.

- Catherine Aird
Old Thu Sep 05, 2002, 01:16pm
In Memoriam

Hmmmph!

Quote:
Originally posted by theboys
Hey, Chuck.

...European countries have "basketball academies"....
Coach,
I bet they look like the YMCA.
mick
Old Thu Sep 05, 2002, 10:32pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Basketball must be a team sport.
Old Thu Sep 05, 2002, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

OK, now I'm surprised. :-)

Z
Old Fri Sep 06, 2002, 01:17am
Do not give a damn!!

Red face I have no words!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
OK, now I'm surprised. :-)

Z
Your surprised and I am speechless. That never happens.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 06, 2002, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Talking Yugoslavia won

I just read all the messages here. I don't know why all the people are saying Dream team is the best. I am Yugoslav and we won last night. There is nothing more to say about Argentina and Yugoslavia.

USA dream team is just great. But, we were better. There is one question that I would like to ask you: Why the best USA players didn't played? As I read on some USA web sites, they didn't wont to participate to the Championship. Why? Maybe they are thinking that is under their proud. Or, maybe they are afraid to lose and have a filling like Americans players have now. I think that answer is second one. If they never participate, how they can live in lies that they are the best?

Our national television made some survey in Indianapolis streets. Nobody knows that Yugoslavia is actual world and European champion. No watchers, no spirit of competition. Maybe Americans are thinking that there is no basketball in other parts of the world. Well, there is. So people, best regards from Yugoslavia, and I have just one more to say (written on pamphlet): DREAM TEAM - DREAM ON !
That's only about sport. (Sorry for my english)
Old Fri Sep 06, 2002, 02:49am
Do not give a damn!!

Ah Bane.

We stopped calling the USA Men's Basketball Team the Dream Team about 2 Olympics ago. Not even the best players in America even want to play on this team. Kobe Bryant passed. Shaq is more concerned about not getting injured. Jason Kidd passed. And Allen Iverson did not want to practice (budump budump ).

Believe me I am not making excuses, but hardly any of these players can make the All-Star team, let alone being major impact players for their teams. Reggie Miller is on the downhill portion of his career. Paul Pierce might be the only true All-Star on this team. Jermain O'Neil is still a punk *** HS player that has done nothing in the pros. There is not true center on this team from the NBA.

Actually I am glad these fools lost. It just proves how overrated these players really are. That is why International Players are getting drafted and we still think Labron James is tne next best thing. Good for Yugoslavia. They deserved it.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 06, 2002, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Well, you are right

Ok, I am sure that USA have more good players. All names you wrote are just great. But, we have more very good players that wasn't played on Championship. For example: Zeljko Rebraca, Alexandar Djordjevic, Sasa Obradovic ... These gays won world championships about 4 times.
I am not so sure that actual Dream team is bad. Ok, Paul Pierce is the best. I hope that America can collect the best players for next times. Then, we will know who is the best. Maybe we can talk now about our best players who not played in our teams. But true for now is: Yugoslavia won. It wasn't fair from America's players to provoke our Vlade Divac like they does. Hi was played with many of them in NBA. I wont to congratulate Reggie Miller. He is really sportsman. Only he gave his hand to our players, after the match. All of them are people made of blood and flesh. No stars, without the victory. I hope we will can play the match USA All stars against Yugoslavien All stars in the future. That will be really good thing. Best regards from YU.