The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA Backcourt Violation? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57287-ncaa-backcourt-violation.html)

Bart Tyson Mon Feb 22, 2010 06:29pm

NCAA Backcourt Violation?

Throwin by A1, ball in air, B1(with both feet in A's front court) tips ball , A2 goes in air from A's front court, gets control, and lands in backcourt.

Adam Mon Feb 22, 2010 06:34pm

Violation, and it's irrelevant where B1's feet are in this play. (assuming NCAA rule is the same as NFHS on this one)

Bart Tyson Mon Feb 22, 2010 06:50pm

Would B1 at least have to have A's front court status?

mbyron Mon Feb 22, 2010 06:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bart Tyson (Post 663892)

No. B1's involvement is that the touch ends the throw-in, thereby excluding the exception that permits a player jumping from the frontcourt to catch a throw-in and land legally in the backcourt.

Adam Mon Feb 22, 2010 06:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bart Tyson (Post 663892)

No. When A1 catches the ball, his FC status (due to having jumped from the FC) establishes both team control and FC status at the same moment. The exception written in the rules allows him to land in the BC, but only if his catch is the first touch of the throw in pass. Once B1 tips the pass, the throw-in exception no longer applies.

Adam Mon Feb 22, 2010 06:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 663893)
No. B1's involvement is that the touch ends the throw-in, thereby excluding the exception that permits a player jumping from the backcourt to catch a throw-in and land legally in the frontcourt.

For posterity.

mbyron Mon Feb 22, 2010 06:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 663895)
For posterity.

Oh puh-lease. Like I've never made a mistake before. :rolleyes:

Adam Mon Feb 22, 2010 06:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 663896)
Oh puh-lease. Like I've never made a mistake before. :rolleyes:

Sorry, my work day is almost over, and I was feeling a bit ornery.

Nevadaref Mon Feb 22, 2010 07:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron
No. B1's involvement is that the touch ends the throw-in, thereby excluding the exception that permits a player jumping from the backcourt to catch a throw-in and land legally in the frontcourt.

The poster formerly known as rainmaker would agree with you! :eek:

KCRC Mon Feb 22, 2010 07:59pm

NCAA Ruling

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 663884)
Violation, and it's irrelevant where B1's feet are in this play. (assuming NCAA rule is the same as NFHS on this one)

Yes, violation under NCAA rules, at least according to my reading of 2010 NCAA Casebook A.R. 217(1). Sounds like the exact play in question.

IREFU2 Mon Feb 22, 2010 09:25pm

Yes, this is a back court violation.

Johnny Ringo Tue Feb 23, 2010 02:19am

Is this different from NFHS?

mbyron Tue Feb 23, 2010 07:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo (Post 663970)
Is this different from NFHS?

No: (approximately) same rule, same exception for a throw-in, same ruling in this case.

RookieDude Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:40am

Yet if A1 has the throw-in...and A2 touches the throw-in, from A1, in the front-court...then muffs the ball into the backcourt...A2 can go into the backcourt and retrieve the ball with no backcourt violation.

Johnny Ringo Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude (Post 664006)
Yet if A1 has the throw-in...and A2 touches the throw-in, from A1, in the front-court...then muffs the ball into the backcourt...A2 can go into the backcourt and retrieve the ball with no backcourt violation.

That's what I thought.

But, in the OP it read if B1 (with both feet in A's front court) tips ball, A2 goes in air from A's front court, gets control, and lands in backcourt.

I did not think this would be B/C violation at the high school level.