The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 03, 2002, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

During pre-game warm-ups A1 goes up for a dunk, changes his mind, loses his balance and grasp the ring to prevent injury-What (if any) is the call ??
Old Tue Sep 03, 2002, 09:48am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by APHP
During pre-game warm-ups A1 goes up for a dunk, changes his mind, loses his balance and grasp the ring to prevent injury-What (if any) is the call ??
If that is what you saw, then don't go lookin' for something else.
Old Tue Sep 03, 2002, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
If I saw this then lots of other people saw it too.
The game's gonna start with 2 free throws.
Old Tue Sep 03, 2002, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
If there was no grasp or attempt to dunk, I have a player grabbing the ring to prevent injury and would not assess any penalty.
Old Tue Sep 03, 2002, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
If there was no grasp or attempt to dunk, I have a player grabbing the ring to prevent injury and would not assess any penalty.
Hmmm, so what was he doing up there before he grabbed the
rim? Seems to me the simplest explanation is he was
attempting a dunk.
Old Tue Sep 03, 2002, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Here's a hypothetical. Team A comes out for warmups and A1, A2, and A3 each dunk. That's three indirect T's on the head coach. So after reporting the T's to the table, you turn to A's bench and inform the man you know to be the head coach. Thinking quickly, he replies that HE is not the head coach for this game; but that the guy you know to be the assistant coach is actually the head coach. What do you do?
Old Tue Sep 03, 2002, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
you turn to A's bench and inform the man you know to be the head coach. Thinking quickly, he replies that HE is not the head coach for this game; but that the guy you know to be the assistant coach is actually the head coach. What do you do?
I toss the guy who I know to be the head coach and tell the 3 kids who dunked to enjoy their last game on the team.

Chuck
Old Tue Sep 03, 2002, 12:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
attempting a dunk.
The original sitch said that he was gonna dunk,but then changed his mind.Therefore,in the referee's opinion,there was no attempt to dunk.The referee was also of the opinion that the player grasped the ring to avoid injury.Therefore,t'aint a T under the exception to R10.3.5
The whole play hinges on the individual official's judgement of the circumstances.
Old Tue Sep 03, 2002, 12:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
you turn to A's bench and inform the man you know to be the head coach. Thinking quickly, he replies that HE is not the head coach for this game; but that the guy you know to be the assistant coach is actually the head coach. What do you do?
I toss the guy who I know to be the head coach and tell the 3 kids who dunked to enjoy their last game on the team.

Chuck
Gee,I don't know,Chuck.I might let the little booger get away it,unload the assistant,seat-belt the guy who is the usual head coach,and put in a very comprehensive game report after-letting the league take care of it.To do it any other way is too close to mind-reading.
Btw,why would you get so ticked off at the 3 players who dunked?All you can do is charge each one of them with a T.Am I missing something here?
Old Tue Sep 03, 2002, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Quote:
attempting a dunk.
The original sitch said that he was gonna dunk,but then changed his mind.Therefore,in the referee's opinion,there was no attempt to dunk.The referee was also of the opinion that the player grasped the ring to avoid injury.Therefore,t'aint a T under the exception to R10.3.5
The whole play hinges on the individual official's judgement of the circumstances.
Sure, but what I'm saying is that I won't give him the benefit of the doubt. If we decide to let the kid go we just might end up T'ing the opposing coach, IMO. Imagine this conversation:

Coach: "Hey, that player dunked during the pregame. How come he ain't getting a T??"

Ref: "Yeah, he started to dunk but he changed his mind."

Coach: "HE WHAT???!!!"...

...nothing good's gonna come out of this. Bottom line to me - if he got up there the player was attempting a dunk.

Old Tue Sep 03, 2002, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Chuck
Gee,I don't know,Chuck.I might let the little booger get away it,unload the assistant,seat-belt the guy who is the usual head coach,and put in a very comprehensive game report after-letting the league take care of it.To do it any other way is too close to mind-reading.
Btw,why would you get so ticked off at the 3 players who dunked?All you can do is charge each one of them with a T.Am I missing something here?
Ah, Chuck's just P'ed off because the Sox did well against the Yanks this weekend but it didn't mean squat.
Old Tue Sep 03, 2002, 12:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
attempting a dunk.
Sure, but what I'm saying is that I won't give him the benefit of the doubt. If we decide to let the kid go we just might end up T'ing the opposing coach, IMO. Imagine this conversation:

Coach: "Hey, that player dunked during the pregame. How come he ain't getting a T??"

Ref: "Yeah, he started to dunk but he changed his mind."

Coach: "HE WHAT???!!!"...

...nothing good's gonna come out of this. Bottom line to me - if he got up there the player was attempting a dunk.

Dan,I'd probably read the play the same way you did.However,APHP asked what the call would be if you read the play the same way he did i.e.NO attempt to dunk and then grab the ring to avoid injury.Under the rules,that isn't a T.If you read the play differently,then you are certainly justified in calling a T.'Tis a judgement call by the official is all I was trying to get at.
Old Tue Sep 03, 2002, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[B}Dan,I'd probably read the play the same way you did.However,APHP asked what the call would be if you read the play the same way he did i.e.NO attempt to dunk and then grab the ring to avoid injury.Under the rules,that isn't a T.If you read the play differently,then you are certainly justified in calling a T.'Tis a judgement call by the official is all I was trying to get at. [/B]
I understand and I agree with what you're saying under the rules. But to repeat, I would never interpret this sitch this way.
Old Tue Sep 03, 2002, 12:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
Ah, Chuck's just P'ed off because the Sox did well against the Yanks this weekend but it didn't mean squat.
[/B][/QUOTE]I take it you weren't able to convert him to the True Faith while you were at camp with him?
Lemme see--stake,firewood,matches!Yup,we can keep trying!
Old Tue Sep 03, 2002, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
[/B]
I take it you weren't able to convert him to the True Faith while you were at camp with him?
Lemme see--stake,firewood,matches!Yup,we can keep trying! [/B][/QUOTE]

I tried, I tried, but he runs too d@mn fast!!