The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 02, 2002, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
Talking

Had a situation last week that I hope helped. I was calling a JV game and by the end of the 3rd quarter the 3rd Varsity official had not shown up yet. By the end of my game he had still not shown up. SO the crew asked me if I wanted to hop on board. OF course I said yes. Last spring and all summer I had only worked 3 man rotation so I felt comforable with lines and rotations. THe two people said I did an excellent job and would let the supervisor know. The SUP called the next day and thanked me for bailing him out of a jam.
Has anyone had this happen to them? Did it help at all? Or did I just earn some extra bucks and should not expect a better schedule?
Old Mon Sep 02, 2002, 08:40am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by fletch_irwin_m
THe two people said I did an excellent job and would let the supervisor know. The SUP called the next day and thanked me for bailing him out of a jam.
Has anyone had this happen to them? Did it help at all? Or did I just earn some extra bucks and should not expect a better schedule?
fletch_irwin_m,
Nice goin'!
I reckon any advantage kinda depends on whether the SUP has a memory.
Regardless, it was nice of SUP to call.
Good luck.
mick
Old Mon Sep 02, 2002, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Irwin,

First of all, a big, Attaboy! for doing well and having the other Varsity officials notice.

But. . .

I wouldn't "expect" more Varsity games. If you did a decent job during the V game, it can only help; but I wouldn't get my hopes up. I don't mean to be a wet blanket. It's just that so many factors go through an assignor's mind in making up a schedule; and, to be honest, not all assignors really care about moving up young talent. Sometimes good officials take a long time to get to the varsity ranks simply b/c the assignor saw them work on a bad night. Other times, a young guy has obvious talent and is "fast-tracked".

The fact that your assignor called you personally makes me think that he's (she's?) a decent sort of person. So while I might be proud of a job well done and the (small) recognition that came with it, and while I definitely would be hopeful that the assignor had noticed and might remember, I would try not to let my hopes too high. Hopefully, as turnbacks come in from other officials, your assignor will remember that you were flexible, worked hard and perfermed well. I wish you the best of luck.

Chuck
Old Mon Sep 02, 2002, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
Thanks. I guess the "Wet" blanket thing is not a big deal. In fact, I wasn't that excited about it until the supervisor called me. I just felt like I was filling a need and it was not a big deal. This is my first Fall Ball season, with last winter being my first "season" officiating. (Coaching/Playing background)
So when he called I got a little stoked. At least I hope he assigns games a little closer to home!! That trip took about an hour!
Old Mon Sep 02, 2002, 11:54am
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up Good job.

fletch_irwin_m,

Well I agree with Chuck to a certain extent, you proved that you can do when the pressure is on. That is the most important thing. Depending on your overall experience or what happen in the game, you might just get an opportunity or two next year. Or at least you might be one of the next in line. Who knows, you might be the guy they call when there is another jam.

Good for you, keep us informed about what happens next.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 02, 2002, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

The fact that your partners were true to their word and told the supervisor about you is a good sign. Even if you don't move up any time soon, this will still probably have a positive effect on your career.