Thread: Moving Up?
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 02, 2002, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Irwin,

First of all, a big, Attaboy! for doing well and having the other Varsity officials notice.

But. . .

I wouldn't "expect" more Varsity games. If you did a decent job during the V game, it can only help; but I wouldn't get my hopes up. I don't mean to be a wet blanket. It's just that so many factors go through an assignor's mind in making up a schedule; and, to be honest, not all assignors really care about moving up young talent. Sometimes good officials take a long time to get to the varsity ranks simply b/c the assignor saw them work on a bad night. Other times, a young guy has obvious talent and is "fast-tracked".

The fact that your assignor called you personally makes me think that he's (she's?) a decent sort of person. So while I might be proud of a job well done and the (small) recognition that came with it, and while I definitely would be hopeful that the assignor had noticed and might remember, I would try not to let my hopes too high. Hopefully, as turnbacks come in from other officials, your assignor will remember that you were flexible, worked hard and perfermed well. I wish you the best of luck.

Chuck