The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Simulaneous time out and foul (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57068-simulaneous-time-out-foul.html)

fiasco Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:54am

Simulaneous time out and foul

Loose ball, A1, A2 and B1 are scrambling for it. Just as A1 secures the ball, I have a foul on B1 and my partner has a whistle at the same time. We get together and I tell him I have a foul, he tells me he has a timeout request by HC for team A.

What do you do?

Raymond Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:55am

Make a decision.

In your case, I probably lean towards the foul because the play was in your primary so I would say it would take longer for your partner to recognize that A1 has player control. His granting of the time-out may have been premature. But I'm making assumptions.

fiasco Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 660766)
Make a decision.

In your case, I probably lean towards the foul because the play was in your primary so I would say it would take longer for your partner to recognize that A1 has player control. His granting of the time-out may have been premature. But I'm making assumptions.

We went with the foul and my partner charged the HC a time out since he requested it. My question is would the coach then be able to rescind his timeout or not since he already requested it?

bob jenkins Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 660771)
We went with the foul and my partner charged the HC a time out since he requested it. My question is would the coach then be able to rescind his timeout or not since he already requested it?

I'd allow him to rescind it. Someone will be along soon to say it was already granted. ;)

GoodwillRef Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:05pm

I am not granting the timeout if you call the foul....even if you have the timeout first you could have a dead ball technical if the contact if severe enough on the foul.

jdw3018 Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 660771)

The coach would definitely get the choice of whether he still wanted the timeout in my game.

Adam Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 660772)
I'd allow him to rescind it. Someone will be along soon to say it was already granted. ;)

I agree. I think that makes me a coward.

And gratuitous shots at "someone" are always funny.

just another ref Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:26pm

The gray area of when the time out is granted: It appears often. Here, as well as in games.

Back In The Saddle Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:27pm

You've got to decide which was first, the granting of the TO or the foul. Under normal circumstances granting the TO first would be a good way to keep a foul out of the book.

fiasco Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 660786)
You've got to decide which was first, the granting of the TO or the foul. Under normal circumstances granting the TO first would be a good way to keep a foul out of the book.

The whistle really were simultaneous. There was no way to determine what happened first without instant replay. We went with the foul since it was in my primary, but my partner was under the impression that once the timeout was requested, and granted, it couldn't be rescinded.

Is there a rule that either disputes this or backs it up?

Raymond Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 660795)
The whistle really were simultaneous. There was no way to determine what happened first without instant replay. We went with the foul since it was in my primary, but my partner was under the impression that once the timeout was requested, and granted, it couldn't be rescinded.

Yes, the rule of Common Sense. :D

Which means our friend from the Donner Pass region should be along shortly to argue that rule.

Adam Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:43pm

Quote:

The same rule I used to ask a coach if he still wanted it after I granted a TO following a change of possession. By rule, I should have stuck with it and granted it, giving the ball to the other team following the TO. I gave him the choice.

By rule, your partner was right. However....

jdw3018 Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:49pm

I realize it's a mechanic and not a rule, but 3.4.4 A. 5. says "Do not grant a time-out after a foul until the necessary information has been given to the scorer.

It's weak, but you could point to this as a reason to give the coach a chance to rescind his request. Since you shouldn't grant the TO until after you report the foul you've decided occurred before the timeout, you don't have to give it.

Now, the same mechanic also says not to grant a TO while the ball is in possession of neither team or the opposing team, interrupted dribble, etc, and we know if we do grant one it is granted.

So, like I say, weak argument. But use it if you like. :)

fiasco Thu Feb 11, 2010 01:01pm

Well, the good news is that he still wanted the time out. He was just arguing with me about how "by rule you have to give me the option of taking it or not."

I told him, "Coach, I'm not sure what rule you're referring to, but I'll make sure to look into it after the game."

Mark Padgett Thu Feb 11, 2010 01:03pm

Quote:

The whistle really were simultaneous. There was no way to determine what happened first without instant replay.

As Tom Hanks would say, "There's no simultaneous in basketball".