The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Officials Uniform Problems (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57057-officials-uniform-problems.html)

grunewar Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 660737)
My partner walked in at 4:10PM. I had already taken care of the book and talked to the captains. I decided to just relax and have fun, and I did.

I have one Rec partner who shows up right at game time or slightly thereafter every time. After meetings, I have even gone ahead with the jump by myself and then in he walks.....when the league has seven games in one gym for the day you just try to avoid getting behind on game one.

Quote:

My point is this: Showing up 30 minutes before an early game may make sense until it just doesn't. OTOH, I feel late if I show up less than an hour before a varsity game.

I usually show up at least 30 minutes early too - even for Rec Ball. Just a good habit.

Adam Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 660754)
$12.50 per game? Wow, I don't think I've seen or heard of a game for that little in forever...way before 2007. Did they pay in grain or pelts before 2000?

LOL. No idea. I made more than that in small town Iowa when I worked a few middle school games in college back in 1993 (long before I took officiating seriously).

I was surprised when I saw my first check, $37.50 for a three game set. I typically don't ask what the pay is, even now.

Although I did pick up four games this Sunday for $15.00/game; essentially our AAU equivalent from what I can tell. I'm not sure what I was thinking; neither is my wife.

Rich Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 660757)
Why one with a flag and one without? What does it matter?

Peace

We match as a crew. We either all wear a shirt with a flag or none of us do.

Back in the day, I used to carry flat front and pleated pants for the same reason.

Back In The Saddle Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:19pm

Quote:

I showed up at 3:45PM for the 4:15PM tipoff with my wheeled bag, dressed in nice clothes like I do for every game I work. There was nobody in the gym. I sat down and waited 15 minutes before anyone arrived.

I asked where I could change. The woman shrugged and said, well, there's a bathroom over there. Our officials come dressed. I was clearly an oddball.

I now come dressed for all junior high games. I learned this the hard way. I wheeled in 30 minutes before game time for a freshman girls game. After meeting my "where can I change?" with a deer in the headlights stare, then huddling up with her assistant coach for several minutes the head coach responds, "You can change in the girls PE locker room. We're done in there for now." So I'm in the girls locker room, just about to strip off, when in walks some random junior high girl with her mother. Turns out it's parent-teacher conference day. Ugh. So I find a nice safe boys restroom to change in.

After the game the coach apologizes and says we can shower and change in the coaches office in the boys locker room. We head in there, I turn on the shower, and settle into a chair for a few minutes to wait for it to warm up. Just as I'm starting to strip off, somebody comes into the locker room and announces for everybody to get out because the visiting team is coming in to change. Good thing I wasn't in the shower already where I might not have heard the announcement. That could have gotten real ugly real fast. :eek:

TimTaylor Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:43pm

Quote:

My point is this: Showing up 30 minutes before an early game may make sense until it just doesn't. OTOH, I feel late if I show up less than an hour before a varsity game.

Yep. Early sub-varsity level games can be a challenge at times and you have to do the best you can - I think everyone understands that.

I agree on the one hour minimum prior for varsity games. Tuesday I had a scheduled 5:45 varsity game & arrived at the gym at 4:15. The JV game was about 2 min into the 2nd quarter and there was only one official - his partner never showed up. I wound up working the 2nd half of the JV game on top of my scheduled varsity game.

JRutledge Thu Feb 11, 2010 01:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 660767)

Back in the day, I used to carry flat front and pleated pants for the same reason.

Is that a requirement? If it is, what do you do when each of you have different style of shoes?

Peace

Camron Rust Thu Feb 11, 2010 02:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 660844)
Is that a requirement? If it is, what do you do when each of you have different style of shoes?

Peace

I carry 3 different kinds of shoelaces!!! ;)

fullor30 Thu Feb 11, 2010 02:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 660767)

I jumped in last Saturday morning for girls freshman games and partner had his flag sewn on back just below collar. I asked him why and he said he thought it looked 'neat' there.

fullor30 Thu Feb 11, 2010 02:36pm

Quote:

Peace

Jeff, as you know I'm white and you're African-American, I like to carry my black self in my case for situations like this so we can match:D

Rich Thu Feb 11, 2010 02:36pm

Quote:

Peace

It's not a requirement. Why do you care what *I* do?

CDurham Thu Feb 11, 2010 02:46pm

Is NC the only state that has changed shirt color??

Adam Thu Feb 11, 2010 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 660873)
Jeff, as you know I'm white and you're African-American, I like to carry my black self in my case for situations like this so we can match:D

That's funny right there, I don't care who you are. :D

Smitty Thu Feb 11, 2010 02:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDurham (Post 660878)
Is NC the only state that has changed shirt color??

Dallas, Texas uses the gray shirt for varsity, stripes for sub-varsity.

JRutledge Thu Feb 11, 2010 02:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 660873)

LOL!!!!!

Wow, I needed that laugh today. :D

Peace

Welpe Thu Feb 11, 2010 03:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 660882)
Dallas, Texas uses the gray shirt for varsity, stripes for sub-varsity.

Interesting. This year our chapter authorized the grey only for the semi-finals and finals of varsity tournaments.