The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Simultaneous Lane Violatins (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57031-simultaneous-lane-violatins.html)

CK Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:57pm

Simultaneous Lane Violatins

Does anyone but me think that 9-1-3 is unfair? I understand how this fits into the rules as written. This just does not seem Fair.

CK

representing Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CK (Post 660219)
Does anyone but me think that 9-1-3 is unfair? I understand how this fits into the rules as written. This just does not seem Fair.

CK

What do you think would be so unfair about it?

Adam Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:34pm

Going by the title (book's in the car with my stuff), I assume you're talking about the fact that a simultaneous FT violation that occurs during what is not the final free throw is essentially a free pass for the defensive side of it. I agree, but I'm not sure what could be done differently.

Maybe clear the lane for the final shot and go to the arrow.

CK Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:44pm

Snaq's once again you are correct. Not sure either, soliciting thoughts on this subject. Representing????????.

CK

Raymond Wed Feb 10, 2010 09:03am

It's fair in that the offense has committed a violation yet still has a 50/50 chance of retaining possession.

Adam Wed Feb 10, 2010 09:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 660277)
It's fair in that the offense has committed a violation yet still has a 50/50 chance of retaining possession.

He's talking about when it happens on the first of two free throws. The penalty is identical to that of a simple offensive FT violation. Cancel the shot and move to the next one.

Raymond Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 660231)
Going by the title (book's in the car with my stuff), I assume you're talking about the fact that a simultaneous FT violation that occurs during what is not the final free throw is essentially a free pass for the defensive side of it. I agree, but I'm not sure what could be done differently.

Maybe clear the lane for the final shot and go to the arrow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 660292)
He's talking about when it happens on the first of two free throws. The penalty is identical to that of a simple offensive FT violation. Cancel the shot and move to the next one.

Oh, well in that case, I still don't see it as that unfair. It's a lot fairer than the CE rules. :D

NCAAREF Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:36am

Think About It

There is no such thing as a "simultaneous FT violation". End of issue:)

Adam Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCAAREF (Post 660336)

Really? I'll bet you representing's game check there is.

Jurassic Referee Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CK (Post 660219)

CK

Are you talking about rule 9-1-3 or rule 9-1PENALTIES(Section 1) 3? :confused:

Jurassic Referee Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCAAREF (Post 660336)

NFHS rule 9-1PENALTIES(Section 1) 3 doesn't exist? Have you told the FED rulesmakers that? I'll bet that they're gonna be pissed off when they find out about it.

CK Wed Feb 10, 2010 02:18pm

9-1PENALTIES(Section 1) 3

CK Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:03pm

:eek:
Sorry JR I corrected this. My Bad.
Any more thoughts on this rule?

CK