The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Dribbler goes out of bounds (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56987-dribbler-goes-out-bounds.html)

oldschool Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:27am

Dribbler goes out of bounds

Coach asked me about a dribbler losing control of ball. Ball stays on court and he goes out of bounds. Comes back in and gets ball. Violation or not? I could only find with a interupted dribble the out of bounds violation does not apply. Thanks for your clarification.

referee99 Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:32am

os, didn't you just answer your own...

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldschool (Post 659422)
Coach asked me about a dribbler losing control of ball. Ball stays on court and he goes out of bounds. Comes back in and gets ball. Violation or not? I could only find with a interrupted dribble the out of bounds violation does not apply. Thanks for your clarification.

... question?

Loudwhistle Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldschool (Post 659422)
Coach asked me about a dribbler losing control of ball. Ball stays on court and he goes out of bounds. Comes back in and gets ball. Violation or not? I could only find with a interupted dribble the out of bounds violation does not apply. Thanks for your clarification.

No violation here as long as his momentum carried him out of bounds. Last touch first touch is okay in HS basketball as long as the going out of bounds is unintentional. Rule 7-1-1. If you deam the dribbler steps out of bounds on purpose then its a violation for leaving the court for an unauthorized reason.

Raymond Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:46am

I saw a play on SportsCenter this weekend. One of those long passes from the FC endline deep into the BC. A1 lost control somehow and had to save the ball from his BC endline. He could have came back in a grabbed the ball, but instead was trying to shield it from defenders.

mbyron Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:08am

You have to judge whether the player actually lost control of the ball.

I had a partner call this violation last week, and he nailed it. Dribbler was simply between dribbles on a steal, and his momentum took him out of bounds. Good call!

Adam Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:02pm

I had this earlier this year; player starts dribble just before her balance puts her out of bounds, she comes right back in and doesn't miss a beat with her dribble. First time I've ever actually made this call.

Juulie Downs Mon Feb 08, 2010 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudwhistle (Post 659427)
No violation here as long as his momentum carried him out of bounds. Last touch first touch is okay in HS basketball as long as the going out of bounds is unintentional.

... and as long as it's an interrupted dribble, as opposed to just a step out of bounds during a dribble.

jdmara Tue Oct 12, 2010 09:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 659454)
I had this earlier this year; player starts dribble just before her balance puts her out of bounds, she comes right back in and doesn't miss a beat with her dribble. First time I've ever actually made this call.

Sorry to bring up an old thread. Is there a case play for this situation that I'm missing.

I had the same situation this weekend and called it as such. I'm having trouble finding the situation in the rule or casebook.

-Josh

mbyron Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:30am

Here's one:

7.1.1 SITUATION D: A1 jumps from inbounds to retrieve an errant pass near a
boundary line. A1 catches the ball while in the air and tosses it back to the court.
A1 lands out of bounds and (a) is the first to touch the ball after returning
inbounds; (b) returns inbounds and immediately dribbles the ball; or (c) picks up
the ball after returning to the court and then begins a dribble. RULING: Legal in
(a) and (b). Illegal in (c) as the controlled toss of the ball to the court by A1 constitutes
the start of a dribble, dribbling a second time after picking up the ball is
an illegal dribble violation. (4-15-5; 4-15-6d; 4-35; 9-5)

jdmara Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 695997)
Here's one:

7.1.1 SITUATION D: A1 jumps from inbounds to retrieve an errant pass near a
boundary line. A1 catches the ball while in the air and tosses it back to the court.
A1 lands out of bounds and (a) is the first to touch the ball after returning
inbounds; (b) returns inbounds and immediately dribbles the ball; or (c) picks up
the ball after returning to the court and then begins a dribble. RULING: Legal in
(a) and (b). Illegal in (c) as the controlled toss of the ball to the court by A1 constitutes
the start of a dribble, dribbling a second time after picking up the ball is
an illegal dribble violation. (4-15-5; 4-15-6d; 4-35; 9-5)

Just so I have this straight, if dribbling player loses his/her balance, steps out of bounds, and continues a dribble, we play on?

tref Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara (Post 696004)
Just so I have this straight, if dribbling player loses his/her balance, steps out of bounds, and continues a dribble, we play on?

No, check the note under 9-3-1.

Jurassic Referee Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara (Post 696004)

If a player steps OOB during a dribble, it is a violation no matter whether the player was actually touching the ball or not when he stepped OOB.

A player however can legally step OOB during an interrupted dribble as long as he is not touching the ball when stepping OOB.

Two rules for 2 different classifications of dribbles.

jdmara Tue Oct 12, 2010 06:28pm

Thanks for the clarification

-Josh