The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

my bad

BV game, late in the fourth quarter after team has struggled to keep up with a better team, visiting coach wants a time out. I'm in C and right in front of him and I give it to him. As I point to the bench I hit something and I turn to see the same upset coach scowling at me.....I back-peddle and throw out superfluous apologies.

Has anyone else ever done this or am I the only idiot out there?

YouTube - TO awarded to coach.avi
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

is that you?
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 01:21pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
BV game, late in the fourth quarter after team has struggled to keep up with a better team, visiting coach wants a time out. I'm in C and right in front of him and I give it to him. As I point to the bench I hit something and I turn to see the same upset coach scowling at me.....I back-peddle and throw out superfluous apologies.

Whatinthehell are you apologizing for? You were on the court and he walked onto it. If he complains, tell him to keep his azz off the damn court.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

lol...I wish I could do that, but I didn't mean to hit him and his scowl was piercing! Hopefully I'll toughen up like you JR
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 01:40pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
lol...I wish I could do that, but I didn't mean to hit him and his scowl was piercing! Hopefully I'll toughen up like you JR
Should have told him "That's why you need to stay in the coach's box, for your own safety".
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 01:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
It's not a matter of toughening up- really. The coach caused the contact. I'm just saying that you shouldn't ever let anything like that bother you.

Who cares? Let him scowl his l'il azz off if he wants.

The point is that you didn't do anything wrong in that particular situation and calling yourself an "idiot" just wasn't right.

Save the "idiot" for if/when you really do screw up.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Not my game. Years ago, a coach was notorious for getting on the floor. A middle linebacker sized official after his partner kept running around the guy told him he'd handle this. Fast break and coach steps on floor as MLB trail puts him on his behind. "I'm sorry coach, I was focused on the play, better try and stay off the court, sorry about that, are you ok?"
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 02:22pm
9 times

Kent,

Tell Jeff (I'm assuming it was Mtn. View) to relax...you didn't see him.

K

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Heck I did a game once where I had a throw in on table side. I was giving my count when I hit the coach in the face. Said "my fault" and moved on.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

I understand where you're coming from Clark. But do coaches apologize when they get in our way while we're doing our jobs (ie screaming direction to players in our ears, squatting too close to the court, pointing and hitting us)? Why should we then?
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Why? To uphold and maintain professionalism. Someone has to be professional during our games. We should be the last people in the gymnasium to be singled out as losing our composure or displaying anything less than professionalism.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
Why? To uphold and maintain professionalism. Someone has to be professional during our games. We should be the last people in the gymnasium to be singled out as losing our composure or displaying anything less than professionalism.
I agree with you, we all strive to be display professionalism. But apologizing profusely isn't professional and could be seen as losing your composure. A slight nod and "excuse me, coach" is all that is necessary. You have a job to do and so does he.

Unless you absolutely smoke the guy. Then you better apologize and make sure he's OK.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 04:44pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:

Haha I thought at first that you hit him in the face/head. In that case I would've apologized, but if you just hit him in the arm... no biggie, IMO. There can be incidental contact on the court, and sometimes this doesn't even involve the players! Not to mention, after viewing this a couple of times, the coach definitely takes two to three steps onto the court after he calls the timeout. Not your fault at all...
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcof83 View Post
I agree with you, we all strive to be display professionalism. But apologizing profusely isn't professional and could be seen as losing your composure. A slight nod and "excuse me, coach" is all that is necessary. You have a job to do and so does he.

Unless you absolutely smoke the guy. Then you better apologize and make sure he's OK.
I agree.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

umm..

On the floor AND staring you down AND contacting an official....where's Nevada? Toss him, the rules are the rules.

Honestly, it didn't look like he was eyeballing you that hard. At least you didn't blow the whistle in his ear