The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   You make the call (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56924-you-make-call.html)

tomegun Thu Feb 04, 2010 06:29pm

You make the call

YouTube - Technical & Unsportsmanlike Foul

budjones05 Thu Feb 04, 2010 06:42pm

T on the coach. Dead ball T on the player

CDurham Thu Feb 04, 2010 08:50pm

Any relevance that the player was in the air in the act of shooting when the T is assessed? Is the situation really dead when the whistle is blown or is it dead when the try ends? Just wondering

Nevadaref Thu Feb 04, 2010 09:40pm

We've discussed this video before. I'm sure that someone can locate the previous thread.

Adam Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDurham (Post 658613)
Any relevance that the player was in the air in the act of shooting when the T is assessed? Is the situation really dead when the whistle is blown or is it dead when the try ends? Just wondering

It depends. If he's the defensive coach, and the shooter has started his try, the ball isn't dead until the try is over. If he's the offensive coach, and the shot hasn't been released yet, it's dead immediately.

slow whistle Fri Feb 05, 2010 09:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 658632)
It depends. If he's the defensive coach, and the shooter has started his try, the ball isn't dead until the try is over. If he's the offensive coach, and the shot hasn't been released yet, it's dead immediately.

Is this right Snaq? I know cb play 9.13.1 is not exactly the same, it references swinging elbows by the offensive player, but wouldn't the same principle apply? Even if the shot is released in that play, if a teammate of the shooter swings the elbows the ball is dead immediately and you don't score the goal if it goes in. Looked for something similar for the play in OP, but the closest I can find is 10.4.1 sit E where it says "the whistle shall be sounded immediately when the unsporting act occurs" if committed by HC of offensive team - doesn't reference when the ball becomes dead, however. Without anything specific I would apply 9.13.1, although I'm sure someone will find something specific:)

Adam Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:07am

It's a foul, not a violation. The rules are different regarding when a ball becomes dead. Violations cause the ball to become dead immediately, that's why the rules tell us to wait on defensive violations. Fouls do not cause the ball to become dead if the try is in flight. Look under live ball/dead ball rules.

slow whistle Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 658740)
It's a foul, not a violation. The rules are different regarding when a ball becomes dead. Violations cause the ball to become dead immediately, that's why the rules tell us to wait on defensive violations. Fouls do not cause the ball to become dead if the try is in flight. Look under live ball/dead ball rules.

You're right I was trying to glean too much from that specific case play, but it really is that simple.

Jurassic Referee Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by slow whistle (Post 658728)
Without anything specific I would apply 9.13.1, although I'm sure someone will find something specific

Reading the rule book is the easiest way.

NFHS rule 6-7-7 + Exceptions a & c.

Indianaref Fri Feb 05, 2010 08:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 658619)
We've discussed this video before. I'm sure that someone can locate the previous thread.

http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...atcha-got.html

representing Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 658632)

He's the offensive coach. You can see in the lower left corner a white jersey on a player for a split second.