The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Foul after made basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56865-foul-after-made-basketball.html)

representing Mon Feb 01, 2010 08:49pm

Foul after made basketball

Title should read "Foul after made basket"... can't change it once posted

A1 shoots the ball and makes it. A3 Fouls B3 under the basket just as ball was going through the hoop. I called the foul as Lead. I go to table and say the basket still counts, and then reported the foul.

Didn't think about it then but thought about it a few plays later. Does B still get to run the endline for their throw-in?

mbyron Mon Feb 01, 2010 08:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 657618)
Does B still get to run the endline for their throw-in?

Did the basket count?

representing Mon Feb 01, 2010 08:53pm

Quote:

A1 shoots the ball and makes it. A3 Fouls B3 under the basket just as ball was going through the hoop. I called the foul as Lead. I go to table and say the basket still counts, and then reported the foul.

Didn't think about it then but thought about it a few plays later. Does B still get to run the endline for their throw-in?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 657619)
Did the basket count?

Yes

Jurassic Referee Mon Feb 01, 2010 09:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 657620)
Yes

Mr. Byron answered your question with his response. He wasn't asking you a dumb question. He was trying to lead you to the answer.

That didn't work.

If the basket counts, they can run the endline.

representing Mon Feb 01, 2010 09:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 657626)
Mr. Byron answered your question with his response. He wasn't asking you a dumb question. He was trying to lead you to the answer.

That didn't work.

If the basket counts, they can run the endline.

I was wondering why he wasn't responding.

What if the ball has gone through the hoop already, it's bouncing on the floor and then A3 fouls B3 (A1 just made the basket). Still can run the endline? At what point during a situation like this would be the cutoff for endline or not, if there is one?

APG Mon Feb 01, 2010 09:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 657629)

What if the ball has gone through the hoop already, it's bouncing on the floor and then A3 fouls B3 (A1 just made the basket). Still can run the endline? At what point during a situation like this would be the cutoff for endline or not, if there is one?

At this point, you have a dead ball, and by rule the only foul you would have is an intentional or flagrant technical foul.

Jurassic Referee Mon Feb 01, 2010 09:25pm

Quote:

And I'll do what Mr. Byron did....

If the ball is bouncing on the floor after a made basket, what is it's status?

representing Mon Feb 01, 2010 09:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 657630)
At this point, you have a dead ball, and by rule the only foul you would have is an intentional or flagrant technical foul.

Yeah, good point. Thanks.

Nevadaref Mon Feb 01, 2010 09:26pm

Quote:

Do you own a Case Book? Have you opened it yet?

7.5.7 SITUATION E: While A1's three-point field-goal attempt is in flight, A3
fouls B1 (B is not in the bonus) near the bottom block area. The three-point field goal
attempt is successful. RULING: Score the three-point goal for A1. Team B
will be permitted to run the end line on the ensuing throw-in. (6-7-7 Exception 2)

representing Mon Feb 01, 2010 09:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 657633)

What is a dead ball waiting to be thrown inbounds?

Nevadaref Mon Feb 01, 2010 09:31pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 657633)

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 657637)

And what does the Rules Book say about contact during a dead ball? (4-19-1 Note)

Jurassic Referee Mon Feb 01, 2010 09:35pm

Quote:

Did you try to look up the answers to your questions in the rule book first?

I'm not being a smart-azz either. You'll learn a heckuva lot more and retain a heckuva lot more if you get in the habit of doing that.

You have a throw-in question. Rule #7 is all about throw-ins. The answer to all of your questions are in there. Give it a shot.

Adam Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:20pm

Quote:

Just some direction from the way I read this:

Look at the definitions of dead ball and live ball. Particularly, look into when the ball becomes dead and when it becomes live following a made basket.

just another ref Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 657667)
....... look into ........ when it becomes live following a made basket.

Which is actually a bit of a gray area.

Adam Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 657668)
Which is actually a bit of a gray area.

There's a gray area, but it doesn't include the time during which the ball is bouncing on the floor; unless the throw in team is delaying. I see what you're saying, though. It's a bit gray, but not for this particular situation.