The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Throw in (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56857-throw.html)

phansen Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:31am

Throw in

NFHS

Spot throw in for team A. A1 winds up for a long baseball pass, but the ball slips out of his hand and bounces about 8 feet to his side. 7-6-3 says this is a throw in violation because he'd have to leave the spot to retreive the ball(unless he had really long arms). What if this happened after a made basket on the end line. Would he be allowed to recover the loose ball and still inbound it providing the 5 second count hadn't elapsed?

jdmara Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by phansen (Post 657437)
NFHS

Spot throw in for team A. A1 winds up for a long baseball pass, but the ball slips out of his hand and bounces about 8 feet to his side. 7-6-3 says this is a throw in violation because he'd have to leave the spot to retreive the ball(unless he had really long arms). What if this happened after a made basket on the end line. Would he be allowed to recover the loose ball and still inbound it providing the 5 second count hadn't elapsed?

Absolutely...In fact if he looses it directly backward, he can retrieve is on a spot throw in as well.

-Josh

FishinRef Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:59am

Quote:

NFHS

Remember that even after a made basket, the player can not go past the sideline extended. Don't recall the exact rule for reference.

mbyron Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:03pm

Quote:

NFHS

7-6-3 says this is a throw in violation because he'd have to leave the spot to retreive the ball(unless he had really long arms).

That's not what 7-6-3 says: it's NOT a violation for the ball to bounce away from the throw-in spot.

It IS a violation for the thrower to leave the spot to retrieve it, or to allow 5 seconds to elapse before the ball crosses the plane on a pass into the court.

If the ball bounces away during a spot throw-in you have to wait for the violation to occur. The defense might help them out, for example, by reaching across and contacting the ball.

bob jenkins Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:16pm

Quote:

NFHS

A1 winds up for a long baseball pass, but the ball slips out of his hand

If I can possibly do so, I'm going to judge that this was a throw-in pass (a poor one, to be sure) and have a violation for the pass not going directly inbounds.

refguy Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 657464)
If I can possibly do so, I'm going to judge that this was a throw-in pass (a poor one, to be sure) and have a violation for the pass not going directly inbounds.

Stole my thunder. Ditto.

All_Heart Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:41pm

This is (unfortunately) NOT a violation in NCAA:

NCAA
A.R. 178. A1, on a throw-in from a designated spot, fumbles. A1 leaves the designated spot to retrieve the fumble. Is this a violation?
RULING: No. Since there was a fumble, the official shall blow his/her whistle, which causes the ball to become dead, and then shall readminister the throw-in.
(Rule 4-31.1 and 7-6.5)

NFHS
*9.2.1 SITUATION B: A1, out of bounds for a designated spot throw-in: (a) muffs the pass from the official and it rolls forward; or (b) after receiving the ball from the official, fumbles the ball and leaves the designated spot to retrieve the fumble.
RULING: In (a), the official should sound the whistle to prevent any violations and then start the throw-in procedure again. No throw-in violation should be called in this situation. In (b), a throw-in violation shall be called on A1 for leaving the designated spot.

Adam Mon Feb 01, 2010 03:04pm

They want us to call a violation on the shooter when, during a free throw, the shooter loses the ball (after having control) and it bounces away so that he cannot retrieve it. They do not want us to pass go (wait for 5 seconds or for a timeout by the throwin team), they want us to go directly to the violation.

Other than being a free throw instead of a throw in, how is this different? The concept seems the same to me.