The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   3 person going away? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56850-3-person-going-away.html)

hoopsaddict Sun Jan 31, 2010 09:28pm

3 person going away?

Rich Sun Jan 31, 2010 09:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoopsaddict (Post 657340)
Being a jv/freshman official who should be ont he door to recieving varsity games next year I am wondering about 3 person officaiting as I am currently looking over various camps to attend this summer. I have heard some rumblings but haven't had the chance to take to a varsity official who would be in the know. The rumblings I have heard are that some conferences here in Wisconsin will go back to 2 man after having 3 person for a few years. In wisconsin here each conference decides for conference games and we have conferences that use both 2 and 3 person. Then for non-conference games it is up to each host school.

Has anyone else heard that the trend with the economy will be to go back to 2 person and not see as much 3 person crews?

It's definitely happening. I may know more depending on what area you live in. Post another message or send me a PM.

jTheUmp Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:01pm

It certainly has happened in the Twin Cities. From what I'm told, about 75% of the varsity basketball was three-person last season. This season, only about 15-20% of it is (and maybe less then that).

I've talked to a few of the higher-ups and more experienced officials in my association, and they seem to think that we'll go back to three-person in a few years after "the schools realize that they'll have a better game with three-person".

Personally, I'm not convinced that three-person will make much of a comeback in the near future, but I'd be happy to be wrong with that bit of intuition.

Fox 40 Deaf Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:09pm

In Kentucky its been three man for quite a few years. There are some small schools that go two man because they cannot afford the other official. But 80% of schools in Kentucky are still on three person, and I have not heard otherwise about it changing next season.

mick Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:10pm

Cutting back on 3-whistle is one way to cut costs.

Who knows...? Maybe they'll even start using coaches that don't know the rules.

Rich Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 657346)
Cutting back on 3-whistle is one way to cut costs.

So would buying a few less basketballs or making uniforms last another season. Or they could raise admission by a quarter.

They simply don't care about having 3 officials here in Wisconsin. Or in many other places.

BktBallRef Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:21pm

I'm thankful to work in a state that has mandated 3 man for all varsity games since 1991.

mick Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 657353)
I'm thankful to work in a state that has mandated 3 man for all varsity games since 1991.

...But snow plows are not.

Rich Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:27pm

Quote:

And this is my main gripe with Wisconsin.

They could've planned this -- suggest that conferences and schools pay less for 2-3 years as a period of transition (most of us not in this for the cash would've taken $45 or so instead of the $60 we get now) and mandate 3 officials for varsity games. But they won't. It's frustrating. They do mandate that no game can start with less than 2 officials, so they could mandate 3 if they wanted to. They won't.

We'll *never* have 3 person all over this state. And we go backwards at the first sign of a "bad economy".

JRutledge Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:58pm

Well I do not live in a state that mandates it for regular season, but the IHSA assigns all post season games and they use only 3 Person Officiating crews. And as a result most conferences would not even think about going back to 2 Person.

Peace

Anchor Mon Feb 01, 2010 07:53am

Quote:

Amen to that. Whether it is a state rule or not, our association has mandated 3-man at the JV level for 10 years or more, at least.

On the rare occasion I do a 2-man game I have to call my son (a budding official in Kansas) for mechanics advice.

mbyron Mon Feb 01, 2010 08:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 657355)
...But snow plows are not.

I don't get it. Why would you need a snow plow for a varsity game?
:p

grunewar Mon Feb 01, 2010 09:00am

To get there of course!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 657406)
I don't get it. Why would you need a snow plow for a varsity game? :p

I lost three more games due to snow this weekend..... :(

Adam Mon Feb 01, 2010 09:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 657406)
I don't get it. Why would you need a snow plow for a varsity game?
:p

To clear the free throw line when the home team is about to shoot potential game winning free throws with no time on the clock?

fullor30 Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 657357)
And this is my main gripe with Wisconsin.

They could've planned this -- suggest that conferences and schools pay less for 2-3 years as a period of transition (most of us not in this for the cash would've taken $45 or so instead of the $60 we get now) and mandate 3 officials for varsity games. But they won't. It's frustrating. They do mandate that no game can start with less than 2 officials, so they could mandate 3 if they wanted to. They won't.

We'll *never* have 3 person all over this state. And we go backwards at the first sign of a "bad economy".

Sorry about that Rich, doesn't say much about the state of basketball in Wisconsin. With all the bureaucratic waste at school levels, paying an extra official 55-60 bucks a game for probably 25-30 games both boys and girls is ludicrous. They probably waste that much in pencils over a school year.

Sad