The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   backcourt question---loose (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56843-backcourt-question-loose.html)

mutantducky Sun Jan 31, 2010 04:41pm

backcourt question---loose

A1 inbounds in their BC, ball is loose and goes into FC. Say A1 is the last to touch in BC no control. Ball goes into FC and then back into BC. A2 touches it in the FC but again no control. A3 touches it first in the BC. violation?

Does A need to have control in the FC for it to be a BC?

Jurassic Referee Sun Jan 31, 2010 04:49pm

No. Yes.

mbyron Sun Jan 31, 2010 05:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 657255)
Does A need to have control in the FC for it to be a BC?

Yes in your sitch -- which is an application of 9-9-1 -- but not in general.

9-9-2: "While in team control in its backcourt, a player shall not cause the
ball to go from backcourt to frontcourt and return to backcourt, without the ball
touching a player in the frontcourt, such that he/she or a teammate is the first to touch it in the backcourt."

mutantducky Sun Jan 31, 2010 05:18pm

so team A in control in the BC and A1 makes a pass to A2 in the FC. Ball hits off A2 or A2 does a tap back to A1 then that would be a violation?

And this wouldn't be a violation? - A1 in-bounding under opponents basket and Ball hits off A2 in the FC or A2 does a tap back to an A player in the BC.

different but just thought of this and realized it hasn't come up for some reason. If a team knocks the ball out directly under the basket. Is the set spot to inbound under the basket or do you move them to the side? I can't think when I've had a player inbounds under the basket.

grunewar Sun Jan 31, 2010 06:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 657269)
different but just thought of this and realized it hasn't come up for some reason. If a team knocks the ball out directly under the basket. Is the set spot to inbound under the basket or do you move them to the side? I can't think when I've had a player inbounds under the basket.

That's because it should never happen. Always inbound the ball outside the lane.

Rule 7, Section 5, ART. 5 . . . Designated out-of-bounds spot throw-in behind the backboard shall be made from the nearer free-throw lane line extended.

bob jenkins Sun Jan 31, 2010 06:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 657269)
so team A in control in the BC and A1 makes a pass to A2 in the FC. Ball hits off A2 or A2 does a tap back to A1 then that would be a violation?

And this wouldn't be a violation? - A1 in-bounding under opponents basket and Ball hits off A2 in the FC or A2 does a tap back to an A player in the BC.

Correct.

4 criteria:

1) Team control
2) Ball in FC
3) A last to touch before ball goes to BC
4) A first to touch after ball goes to BC.

Note that "player control in the FC" is not required, nor is it necessary to touch the ball in the FC (or the BC).