The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdanrd View Post
According to this rule, the basket cannot be counted if it goes behind the backboard
The basket can not be counted if the ball passes DIRECTLY over the top of the backboard

RULE NO. 8—OUT-OF-BOUNDS AND THROW-IN

Section II—Ball
b. Any ball that rebounds or passes directly behind the backboard, in either direction, from any point is considered out-of-bounds.

Kobe Bryant earlier this season took a shot from behind the basket, and the basket counted because the ball didn't go directly behind the basket but rather at an angle.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
After my Girls JV game today (which went pretty smooth without problems), I stuck around to watch the first half of the Varsity game before I had to leave. Saw something that the officials did that I don't think I've seen done the same way in any other games I've seen in a similar situation:

V dribbles the ball down to the endline and gets under the basket. Stops... then it looks as if she is going up to try and shoot the ball. Get's fouled. Referee points to the OOB spot nearest the foul and says "underneath". Seems like I was the only one to hear this as the gym was pretty quiet still at this moment. He goes to table to report the foul and then points again to OOB spot. Gym erupts and coach is asking "wasn't she shooting?!"

At halftime I go to the locker room with the referees to grab my bag, but I just had to ask. "Why wasn't that a shooting foul?" His response; "She was behind the basket, there's no way she could have shot for an attempt to score points". His partner agreed and I left it at that.

Am I missing something here or does it seem like they messed up that call? The girl definitely went up for a shot, and it did not seem as if she was too far under the basket that she couldn't maybe swing her arm around to get a better angle at a "do-able" shot.
To answer your question, there is no NFHS rule which prevents such a situation from being a foul in the act of shooting. It is up to the discretion of the official to decide if the player was trying for goal when fouled. There is no inbounds area of the court from which a player is not allowed to try for goal.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
To answer your question, there is no NFHS rule which prevents such a situation from being a foul in the act of shooting. It is up to the discretion of the official to decide if the player was trying for goal when fouled. There is no inbounds area of the court from which a player is not allowed to try for goal.
So would you wave off the shot if it goes and give 2 shots for the foul? This is for someone who tries a shot frombehind the backboard and is fouled. the shot travels up and over the top of the glass and goes in.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
So would you wave off the shot if it goes and give 2 shots for the foul? This is for someone who tries a shot frombehind the backboard and is fouled. the shot travels up and over the top of the glass and goes in.
In that specific case, yes.

However, I was picturing a player who was under the basket and behind the plane of the backboard trying to shoot the up and under, not over the top.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 11:39pm
We don't rent pigs

Not sure about this one. Was this player not attempting to score by throwing the ball into the basket? Does this not mean it is a try, even if the player may have misjudged where he was on the floor?

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

In the case of a player behind the backboard, say, basically facing the free throw line and "attempting" a "shot" and getting fouled, would this not be akin to shooting at the wrong basket (i.e. not a legit try) attempt so no FTAs merited?
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
the shot would of been
Sigh. Are you a chseagle alias, or a whole different person with the same problem?
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
Sigh. Are you a chseagle alias, or a whole different person with the same problem?
I'm not sure where this is coming from? If it was for the grammatical error, I apologize. I can assure you that I am a certified official in Texas, and I am not chseagle.

Last edited by APG; Mon Feb 01, 2010 at 05:43pm.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NBA Casebook 2009-2010

145. Player A1 is dribbling under the basket and behind the backboard when he is nudged out-of-bounds by Player B1. A foul is called on Player B1, and, as Player A1 is falling out-of-bounds, he attempts a field goal which must pass directly behind the backboard. How many free throw attempts are awarded if this is the first team foul on Team B?

None. The ball is awarded to Team A at the free throw line extended on either side of the court. Since the basket cannot be counted if it goes behind the backboard, it cannot be considered a field goal attempt. This is not to be confused with the foul which occurs in front of the backboard and momentum causes the field goal to be attempted directly behind the backboard.

RULE 8 - SECTION II - b
What if the ball goes over the backboard but not directly behind it? Is this legal?
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfdixie View Post
What if the ball goes over the backboard but not directly behind it? Is this legal?
Correct. Two examples of it happening this year.

Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
In the case of a player behind the backboard, say, basically facing the free throw line and "attempting" a "shot" and getting fouled, would this not be akin to shooting at the wrong basket (i.e. not a legit try) attempt so no FTAs merited?
This response is for NFHS rules.

Nope, because the player is attempting the try at the proper basket. That is very obvious. You can't say that he isn't.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
This response is for NFHS rules.

Nope, because the player is attempting the try at the proper basket. That is very obvious. You can't say that he isn't.
Good point. Then it might be more akin to, say, a spindly 4-foot-1 fifth-grader trying a three-quarters court heave at the end of the half and getting fouled in the act? (No way he/she is ever going to make it but a foul is a foul [shame on the defense]... ?)
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Correct. Two examples of it happening this year.
Both NBA. Would this be allowed per NFHS? (angling it over backboard from behind and to the side). I thought no.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
Both NBA. Would this be allowed per NFHS? (angling it over backboard from behind and to the side). I thought no.

You thought correctly.