The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   3 seconds violation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56825-3-seconds-violation.html)

Papamilnes08 Sat Jan 30, 2010 04:31pm

3 seconds violation

When I was reffing a high school mens game last night, a player came up to me at half time and asked a question. He asked me a good question that i asked my fellow officals and we couldnt come up with a solid answer. When the offensive team is inbounding the ball from the far end of the court and needs to cross the half court line to approach their basket, the 10 second count is done for the offense to get across the half court line. But while the offense is still on the opposite side of the court during the 10 second count, can there be a 3 second violation on the offense in the offensive paint, or does the 3 second count start when the ball crosses the half court line?

Jurassic Referee Sat Jan 30, 2010 04:38pm

You'll find your solid answer in NFHS rule 9-7-1.

Did any of your fellow officials try to look it up?

BktBallRef Sat Jan 30, 2010 04:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papamilnes08 (Post 657061)
.... i asked my fellow officals and we couldnt come up with a solid answer.

That's pretty scary. :(

Mark Padgett Sat Jan 30, 2010 05:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papamilnes08 (Post 657061)
When I was reffing a high school mens game last night

A high school mens game? You mean a high school game in which all the boys were at least 18? :confused:

Camron Rust Sat Jan 30, 2010 05:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 657067)

Maybe they were volleyball officials. :confused:

grunewar Sat Jan 30, 2010 05:48pm

Yikes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 657067)

Wow! Any of these guys read a rule book or take and pass the exam? Any of em?

Anchor Sat Jan 30, 2010 08:16pm

Go easy guys. Forget the rule book--a simple rule of thumb is all that is necessary: regardless of ball position, it is 3-seconds when someone hands you a burnt marshmallow.

Now, back to the OP--it does seem a little perplexing to me that of 3 varsity level officials someone did not know that front court makes a difference. Time to spend some more time in the rule and case book.

just another ref Sat Jan 30, 2010 08:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anchor (Post 657109)
Now, back to the OP--it does seem a little perplexing to me that of 3 varsity level officials someone did not know that front court makes a difference.

Agreed. I also find that marshmallow thing a bit perplexing.

mutantducky Sat Jan 30, 2010 08:21pm

he must've meant smores. that makes a whole lot more sense.

just another ref Sat Jan 30, 2010 08:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 657112)

You can make a smore in 3 seconds?

Anchor Sat Jan 30, 2010 08:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 657111)
Agreed. I also find that marshmallow thing a bit perplexing.

It's a southern thing. When we're camping out we simply roast marshmallows (no s'mores). Standard answer to newbie officials when inquiring about 3-seconds: "call it when they hand you a burnt marshmallow."

Bellbuoy Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:39am

We had an official tell us last week that he wouldn't call 3 seconds on an offensive player with one foot in the lane every time because it "would slow down the game".

BillyMac Sun Jan 31, 2010 02:33pm

The Dark Side ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anchor (Post 657116)
It's a southern thing. When we're camping out we simply roast marshmallows (no s'mores). Standard answer to newbie officials when inquiring about 3-seconds: call it when they hand you a burnt marshmallow."

Back in my middle school coaching days, I will tell my players to imagine that the lane was covered with hot coals. They can bounce around in there for a few seconds, but if they stay in there they're going to get burned, so get the hell out. I also told them that if they ever catch a pass in the lane, if they don't immediately make a pass and get out to the lane, then they'd better shoot the ball, even if the shot was going to be blocked, or the shot was going to be taken off balance. We didn't get too many three second calls against us.

Adam Sun Jan 31, 2010 08:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anchor (Post 657116)
It's a southern thing. When we're camping out we simply roast marshmallows (no s'mores). Standard answer to newbie officials when inquiring about 3-seconds: "call it when they hand you a burnt marshmallow."

I like it. I prefer mine on fire, thanks.

bbcoach7 Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 657112)

Don't you mean, a lot smore sense? :rolleyes: