The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Varsity Questions (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56819-varsity-questions.html)

bas2456 Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:04am

Varsity Questions

It will be a long while before I work Varsity games, but I was at a game last night, took some notes and have a few questions.

1. Grabbing the net while the ball is in the cylinder. I know it's basket interference, but I thought I saw somewhere on here that it's also a technical. Any truth to that?

2. At the end of one of the quarters, the C took last shot responsibilities. In two-man we're taught that the trail always has last shot. Is this true for two man? Wouldn't the C be watching his primary, which probably isn't where the last shot will occur?

3. Cheerleader disconcertion...is there a rule against it?

Thanks...

bas2456 Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 657007)
1. Not BI. Touching the net constitutes BI only if the ball is ON or IN the basket. Not a T.

2. T has last shot in 2-person; opposite has it for 3-person.

3. The case plays all involve disconcertion by an opponent, but some here will defend calling this violation.

By opposite, do you mean opposite the table?

mbyron Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 657006)
It will be a long while before I work Varsity games, but I was at a game last night, took some notes and have a few questions.

1. Grabbing the net while the ball is in the cylinder. I know it's basket interference, but I thought I saw somewhere on here that it's also a technical. Any truth to that?

2. At the end of one of the quarters, the C took last shot responsibilities. In two-man we're taught that the trail always has last shot. Is this true for two man? Wouldn't the C be watching his primary, which probably isn't where the last shot will occur?

3. Cheerleader disconcertion...is there a rule against it?

Thanks...

1. Not BI. Touching the net constitutes BI only if the ball is ON or IN the basket. Don't confuse 4-6-1 with 4-6-2. Not a T.

2. T has last shot in 2-person; opposite has it for 3-person.

3. The case plays all involve disconcertion by an opponent, but some here will defend calling this violation, or at least addressing the situation with game management.

mbyron Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 657009)

Yes. That's why C had last shot in the game you saw: he must have been opposite the table.

Raymond Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 657009)

Correct. Trail or Center, opposite table.

In NCAA-W that responsibility is always the Center's.

iiicream Sat Jan 30, 2010 01:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 657011)
Yes. That's why C had last shot in the game you saw: he must have been opposite the table.

Would there ever be a time when the L (3-person crew) would have the last shot?

Jurassic Referee Sat Jan 30, 2010 01:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by iiicream (Post 657036)
Would there ever be a time when the L (3-person crew) would have the last shot?

Yes, on a fast break with the C still in the backcourt.

JRutledge Sat Jan 30, 2010 02:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 657037)
Yes, on a fast break with the C still in the backcourt.

Not unless you discuss this. And it is not impossible for the C or even the T in the right circumstance to see a last second shot. This is almost always the case they show an angle on TV that is on the other side of the court. Not sure why an official cannot see this play even far away.

Peace