The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Rule Book Clarification (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56815-rule-book-clarification.html)

Mr. Ref Sat Jan 30, 2010 09:43am

Rule Book Clarification

I've looked all morning thru the search feature and can't find it on here or in the rulebook.

Situation:

Team A has front court status. A1 passes to A2 who is close to crossing the division line. Player A2 leaps and then gets one foot down, catches ball and then back foot comes down in the front court.

Legal play.

We had discussion at halftime and a fellow comrade thought they had to have two feet down to have front court status.

My question is.... Where in the book does it outline this? I know 4-35 handles player location, but it does not specifically talk about one foot vs. two feet.

mbyron Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:02am

As I understand your play, it's a violation.

When A2 catches the ball, the ball has frontcourt status. When his foot touches the backcourt, he then has backcourt status (4-35-2).

That meets all 4 criteria for the BC violation: team control, ball in FC, last to touch in FC, first to touch in BC (9-9-1).

Violation.

rsl Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:14am

Mbyron - I think he means the first foot came down in the frontcourt as well, so it is a legal play.

The rule you want is 4-35. Article 2 says if your are not touching backcourt and are touching frontcourt, you are in the frontcourt. Number of feet does not matter.

ART. 1 . . . The location of a player or nonplayer is determined by where the
player is touching the floor as far as being:
a. Inbounds or out of bounds.
b. In the frontcourt or backcourt.
c. Outside (behind/beyond) or inside the three-point field-goal line.
ART. 2 . . . When a player is touching the backcourt, out of bounds or the threepoint
line, the player is located in backcourt, out of bounds or inside the threepoint
line, respectively.
ART. 3 . . . The location of an airborne player with reference to the three factors
of Article 1 is the same as at the time such player was last in contact with the floor
or an extension of the floor, such as a bleacher.

Mr. Ref Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:16am

Let me clarify....

A1 in front court. He passes to A2 while he is airborne. Before he touches the ball A2 gets one foot down in the front court. He then catches and his second foot lands in the front court as well.

mbyron Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Ref (Post 656986)
Let me clarify....

A1 in front court. He passes to A2 while he is airborne. Before he touches the ball A2 gets one foot down in the front court. He then catches and his second foot lands in the front court as well.

Ah, I see. The rule is the same as inbounds vs. out of bounds: if he has something in the FC and nothing in the BC, then he's FC; otherwise BC. rsl gave the rule reference.