The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Peace of mind: Did I get it right? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56792-peace-mind-did-i-get-right.html)

shutupneff Fri Jan 29, 2010 03:52am

Peace of mind: Did I get it right?

Reffed a Rec League game tonight. At the end of the first half, A1 was fouled by B2 on a 3-point attempt. The foul occurred just before the buzzer, but the ball did not leave A1's hand until after the buzzer. I gave A1 3 freethrows with an empty lane. Did I get it right?

Nevadaref Fri Jan 29, 2010 04:28am

Yes. In that situation, the try doesn't count even if it goes in.

The ball becomes dead when the horn sounds as there is no try in flight at that time.

Skarecrow Fri Jan 29, 2010 09:25am

Disagree

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 656572)
Yes. In that situation, the try doesn't count even if it goes in.

The ball becomes dead when the horn sounds as there is no try in flight at that time.

How's he not in the act of shooting? If you can award him three for the missed shot (because he was fouled), you better award him three plus one if he makes the shot.....

Raymond Fri Jan 29, 2010 09:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skarecrow (Post 656599)
How's he not in the act of shooting? If you can award him three for the missed shot (because he was fouled), you better award him three plus one if he makes the shot.....

Did you read the post? The shot was not released until after the buzzer. Unless you're using a monitor, which I'm thinking the OP wasn't, you can't award the basket....or if you have DEFINITE knowledge of the exact reading on the clock when the whistle sounded. In which case you would have to put that time back on the clock for the free throw(s).

Skarecrow Fri Jan 29, 2010 09:40am

Apologies!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 656603)
Did you read the post? The shot was not released until after the buzzer. Unless you using a monitor, which I'm thinking the OP wasn't, you can't award the basket....or if you have DEFINITE knowledge of the exact reading on the clock when the whistle sounded. In which case you would have to put that time back on the clock for the free throw(s).

Apologies to Nevada! Thanks BadNewsRef for the "head slap!" I had a mental block there....of course, he has to beat the buzzer! My bad!!!!

Adam Fri Jan 29, 2010 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skarecrow (Post 656599)

There are other situations where you could award three shots because he was fouled while shooting yet wipe away a made basket. End of quarter isn't the only one.

mbyron Fri Jan 29, 2010 04:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 656718)
There are other situations where you could award three shots because he was fouled while shooting yet wipe away a made basket. End of quarter isn't the only one.

You're such a tease.

Adam Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 656838)
You're such a tease.

I'm not sure I've ever been told that before.

bob jenkins Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 656838)
You're such a tease.

We already have a thread on how many Ts an official has called.

mbyron Sat Jan 30, 2010 09:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 656924)
We already have a thread on how many Ts an official has called.

Bob, I'm disappointed. I had no idea you were homophonic.
:p