The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   False Double vs Simultaneous (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56760-false-double-vs-simultaneous.html)

Scratch85 Wed Jan 27, 2010 05:48pm

False Double vs Simultaneous

I didn't want to hijack the "Double foul in boys C-squad" thread so I am starting a new one.

In a sitch as described by chseagle; fouled shooter, followed by a foul while positioning for the ensuing rebound. Fouls are committed by opponents but not against each other.

How do you distinguish between a false double and a simultaneous foul. The more I think about it, the more I am leaning to simultaneous. Not that it should be of consideration, but (in this sitch) I prefer the penalty for a false double over simultaneous.

Is there a condition that I am missing that clearly distinguishes this sitch, or is it a sitch where either may apply?

I will hang up and listen to your answers. :)

Adam Wed Jan 27, 2010 06:28pm

Ideally, get together and figure out what happened. Unless the displacement on the rebound was severe (judgment call), I'd ignore it as there's no real advantage due to the foul. If you feel you can't ignore it (cleaning up a game or the displacement is measured in multiple yards), then I'd go with a false double. Free throws for A1 with the lane empty followed by a throwin (or free throws, if in the bonus) for B.

cmathews Wed Jan 27, 2010 06:30pm

what he said

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 656085)
Ideally, get together and figure out what happened. Unless the displacement on the rebound was severe (judgment call), I'd ignore it as there's no real advantage due to the foul. If you feel you can't ignore it (cleaning up a game or the displacement is measured in multiple yards), then I'd go with a false double. Free throws for A1 with the lane empty followed by a throwin (or free throws, if in the bonus) for B.

yep

Scratch85 Wed Jan 27, 2010 08:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 656085)

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmathews (Post 656086)
yep

Dudes, you're not giving me much to go on here. :cool:

Let me rephrase my question. How do you determine whether this is:

A) Fouls by both teams, the second of which occurs before the clock is started following the first, and such that at least one of the attributes of a double foul is absent?
or
B) A foul by both teams which occurs at approximately the same time, but are not committed by opponents against each other?

Many situations will lend itself to one or the other. I am having a hard time finding what makes this sitch one or the other. If I was on this game, I would have been lobbying for a false double foul. The longer I look at it, the harder it is for me to decide why.

Camron Rust Wed Jan 27, 2010 08:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 656129)

Let me rephrase my question. How do you determine whether this is:

A) Fouls by both teams, the second of which occurs before the clock is started following the first, and such that at least one of the attributes of a double foul is absent?
or
B) A foul by both teams which occurs at approximately the same time, but are not committed by opponents against each other?

Many situations will lend itself to one or the other. I am having a hard time finding what makes this sitch one or the other. If I was on this game, I would have been lobbying for a false double foul. The longer I look at it, the harder it is for me to decide why.

Simultaneous fouls happen at the same "Wall Clock" time. False-Double fouls happen at the same "Game Clock" time but at different "Wall Clock" times.

just another ref Wed Jan 27, 2010 08:23pm

Simultaneous: The fouls happened at approximately the same time.

False double: One happened clearly after the other.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Jan 27, 2010 09:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 656067)
I didn't want to hijack the "Double foul in boys C-squad" thread so I am starting a new one.

In a sitch as described by chseagle; fouled shooter, followed by a foul while positioning for the ensuing rebound. Fouls are committed by opponents but not against each other.

How do you distinguish between a false double and a simultaneous foul. The more I think about it, the more I am leaning to simultaneous. Not that it should be of consideration, but (in this sitch) I prefer the penalty for a false double over simultaneous.

Is there a condition that I am missing that clearly distinguishes this sitch, or is it a sitch where either may apply?

I will hang up and listen to your answers. :)

Simulataneous fouls are, by definition, a double foul, but, by rule, the fouls are charged but no free throws are awarded.

MTD, Sr.

Adam Thu Jan 28, 2010 01:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 656129)

In a situation where you have a shooting foul and a rebounding foul, I'm going to assume the shooting foul was first every time; unless I know for certain it's not the case.

Raymond Thu Jan 28, 2010 09:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 656209)
In a situation where you have a shooting foul and a rebounding foul, I'm going to assume the shooting foul was first every time; unless I know for certain it's not the case.

I believe he is asking why, in the false double foul, the 2nd foul is not a tech since the clock is (or should be) stopped.

mbyron Thu Jan 28, 2010 09:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 656273)
I believe he is asking why, in the false double foul, the 2nd foul is not a tech since the clock is (or should be) stopped.

The clock being stopped is not the issue: it's whether the ball is dead.

If the shot is still in progress, the ball is not dead, so the 2nd foul would not (necessarily) be a T.

Indianaref Thu Jan 28, 2010 09:07am

Quote:

Although the clock stopped, the ball is still live until.....you know the answer.

Adam Thu Jan 28, 2010 09:25am

Quote:

I think he's asking how we choose between the two options here (false double and simultaneous). My answer: False double unless it's obvious that you can't.

The answer to your question has been provided. :)

Raymond Thu Jan 28, 2010 09:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 656278)
Although the clock stopped, the ball is still live until.....you know the answer.

I know the answer but the OP wanted to know and no one explicitly stated it.