The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   DOG Technical Foul?? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56698-dog-technical-foul.html)

Gargil Mon Jan 25, 2010 09:51am

DOG Technical Foul??

A JV boys game. Early in the game team A was given a delay of game warning for reaching over endline and contacting the ball in the throwers hand. Late in the game after a timeout team A was given first horn warning and then second horn lets go. With team A still in huddle the official whacks team A with a T for delay of game. I thought the correct way to handle this was to make the ball available for the throw in and start counting or let team B go with it. Please advise how you would handle this.

bob jenkins Mon Jan 25, 2010 09:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gargil (Post 655186)
A JV boys game. Early in the game team A was given a delay of game warning for reaching over endline and contacting the ball in the throwers hand.

This should also have been a T.

Quote:

Late in the game after a timeout team A was given first horn warning and then second horn lets go. With team A still in huddle the official whacks team A with a T for delay of game. I thought the correct way to handle this was to make the ball available for the throw in and start counting or let team B go with it. Please advise how you would handle this.
This is not a "warning" situation listed in 4-47

FishinRef Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:01am

A JV boys game. Early in the game team A was given a delay of game warning for reaching over endline and contacting the ball in the throwers hand. Late in the game after a timeout team A was given first horn warning and then second horn lets go. With team A still in huddle the official whacks team A with a T for delay of game. I thought the correct way to handle this was to make the ball available for the throw in and start counting or let team B go with it. Please advise how you would handle this.

First off - Contacting the ball as described is a Technical foul not a delay. Simply breaking the plane by the defender is a delay of game.
Secondly - I would do as you stated and set the ball on the floor and start my count.

:cool:Just my 2 cents

Indianaref Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishinRef (Post 655189)
Secondly - I would do as you stated and set the ball on the floor and start my count.

AKA...ROP (Resumption of play)

bbcof83 Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 655188)

This is not a "warning" situation listed in 4-47

Bob, then you agree that resumption of play procedure should have been used?

Loudwhistle Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:32am

First T counts as First DOG?

Bob,
This T also counts as the first delay of game as well? In other words, later in the game a player reaches through the plane on a throw in contacting nothing this would result in a T.

Adam Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudwhistle (Post 655202)

Bob,
This T also counts as the first delay of game as well? In other words, later in the game a player reaches through the plane on a throw in contacting nothing this would result in a T.

You are correct. Call the T, have the scorer record the DOG in the book. Then tell the coach, "Yes, coach, normally you'd be right. It would have just been a warning if your player hadn't actually slapped the ball."

Gargil Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:01pm

How To Handle

If you were the partner of the calling Official would you just discuss this at half or after game or step in and make correction? I did not know the ball was actually contacted when he gave the DOG warning but I wanted to step in on the technical foul for not coming out of the huddle, but being a newer Official I did nothing.

bob jenkins Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gargil (Post 655225)
If you were the partner of the calling Official would you just discuss this at half or after game or step in and make correction? I did not know the ball was actually contacted when he gave the DOG warning but I wanted to step in on the technical foul for not coming out of the huddle, but being a newer Official I did nothing.

If it's a rules issue and a break in the action, we should always try to get it right rather than bringing it back to the locker room.

If you're younger / newer /not sure, you could use a phrase like, "Are you sure..." or "I thought ..." or even "what do you have?" -- sometime when the person is asked to explain it, they realize the error.

Adam Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gargil (Post 655225)

I'm not sure I'd step in here, but I anticipate the word of those with more experience than I.

Mark Padgett Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:08pm

Newbies - carve this into your forehead (backwards, so you can read it in a mirror). When you give out a technical for a defensive player reaching across the line and contacting the ball before it is released toward the court, it's also a DOG warning. If it's the first of the game against that team and they get another one for just reaching across the line (or any other DOG warning) then that's the second one and it's a team technical.

Be sure to make the letters small enough so they all fit. :cool:

Spence Mon Jan 25, 2010 03:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 655232)
Newbies - carve this into your forehead (backwards, so you can read it in a mirror). When you give out a technical for a defensive player reaching across the line and contacting the ball before it is released toward the court, it's also a DOG warning. If it's the first of the game against that team and they get another one for just reaching across the line (or any other DOG warning) then that's the second one and it's a team technical.

Be sure to make the letters small enough so they all fit. :cool:

If instead of hitting the ball the defender reached across the line and hit the arm would the intentional foul call that resulted also be a DOG warning?

Adam Mon Jan 25, 2010 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 655285)
If instead of hitting the ball the defender reached across the line and hit the arm would the intentional foul call that resulted also be a DOG warning?

Yep.

Mark Padgett Mon Jan 25, 2010 03:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 655287)
Yep.

I think for a DOG warning, the correct answer would be "yip". :D

BillyMac Mon Jan 25, 2010 07:00pm

This Looks Like A Job For The Mythbusters ...

The defender may not break the imaginary plane during a throwin until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass. If the defender breaks the imaginary plane during a throwin before the ball has been released on a throw-in pass, the defender’s team will receive a team warning, or if the team has already been warned for one of the four delay situations, this action would result in a team technical foul. If the defender contacts the ball after breaking the imaginary plane, it is a player technical foul and a team warning will be recorded. If the defender fouls the inbounding player after breaking the imaginary plane, it is an intentional personal foul, and a team warning will be recorded.