The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

I have finally had it and realize its not worth it anymore

I subbed in for a friend and officiated a 1st/2nd grade Boys church league Developmental game this past Saturday requiring a single ref. I have reffed many games at this church over the years, mostly older groups and have a very good relationship with the administration there. I was shocked to get this complaint on my performance. These young boys always put a smile on my face, they remind me of my kids when they were that age and just are so fun and cute to watch. I had fun during this game. I checked in with the Admin Director who was keeping score each quarter to make sure I was calling a balanced game and not calling it too loose or to tight. This is a devolopmental league. The Admin Director told me I was calling it too loose for this time of the season for this age. They should know by now what a double dribble is. I thought it was a good game and the kids had fun. I had encouraged both coachs to tighten up on the dribbling, I only called a violation for dribbling if it gained an advantage in the front court. These were usually after the player stopped their dribble, looked to pass, took a few steps then dribbled again. Did not call any backcourt double dribbles as there is no pressing in the backcourt in these age groups. I am not affiliated with either team or church. I do not know anybody on either team nor any parents in the gym. THis complaint was sent to the Director of the league and his response was supportive of my officiating, claiming that it is hard to believe that someone would do this but he would send it on to the assignor. My assignor told me to chill and let it pass, he thought it was very entertaining and so off the wall that it was almost funny in a way, but I think I have had enough of parents and coaches making such claims. You all know, how hard it is to maintain your character and integrity and how easily you can loose it. I am not sure it is worth it anymore. I think I am ready to pack it in. Now remember this, the HC that wrote this was not at the game. This is all by "hear say". So, I will let the following entertain you.

"I really hate sending a note like this, but I felt you should be aware of what happened. I never complain to an official during a game, regardless of how bad the situation is, as long as both teams are treated the same. I never want my kids to see complain to an official, because I don't want them to think it's OK to blame others. I strive to use basketball to teach
life lessons and when things don't go your way, then work harder and keep
trying, not give up.

We, XXX Boys 1/2grade team, were playing YYY at ZZZ on Saturday, 1/23
at 9:00 AM. Unfortunately, I was not at the game, but based on feedback from my assistant and parents, I have no reason to believe otherwise. As I
understand it, the first half was fairly typical and we were up by 6. Then for some reason, the official began to call double dribble violations at will on our team. My assistant said after he noticed, he counted 17 calls for double dribble violations with none on the other team during the second half. These are 1st and 2nd graders, not pros and they are going to make these kinds of mistakes. But regardless, continuing making this call on one team only, makes you wonder what was really going on. I don't know what his true motive was, I can only tell you, from what I understand, it demoralized our team and we ended up losing.

I have a couple of requests -
1) please remind the refs to be easy on the little ones, they are doing their best with the motor skills they have at this age. Other than blatant fouls and undue advantage from traveling, I could care less if they ever blow their whistle.
2) I would prefer that this individual not referee any of our remaining 2
games at XXX. I hate to ask this of you because I can imagine how
difficult it is to schedule these things, but based on some of my
parents feedback, it wouldn't be an ideal situation for anyone.

He basically accused me of cheating. Enough said.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Be done with this league, but don't give up on reffing completely. These guys are getting this worked up about 1/2 grade basketball? Seriously?

Not even close to being worth it for the kind of grief you're getting.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Don't sweat the small stuff. Just don't do those games. Seems awful young to be playing with refs at this age.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 11:30am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
A Classic Write-up......

from someone who wasn't even there........sad.

I'm in the school of - ref if you want to, but don't hang it up because of this. You seem motivated, just don't do this league/division any more. Their loss. Let this coach ref a few games - at least then he'll actually have to be there!

PS - Since you obviously favored the other team, what was the line and how much did you win?

PSS - At this age group in our leagues we don't keep score.

PSSS - I don't ref at this age group.....
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 11:37am
Do not give a damn!!

And people wonder why they cannot get people that really care about what they do at these levels. This is the very reason I have stopped doing "youth" sports for the most part, because the adults ruin the experience. I just would not do this league if I were you and maybe considering not doing this level at some point. But that is a choice you have to make and live with either way.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 11:39am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Personally, I would request to work this knucklehead's games again, and again, and again, and again. But that's just me.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

As long as you work rec leagues, you'll run into stuff like this. Put the rec league crap behind you and try to move up the ladder.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to StripesOhio
Just stop officiating at this place.

A couple of thoughts and these are not necessarily directed at you:

1) Why does their need to be an official for 1st and 2nd graders?

2) What is the importance of keeping score?

3) Why is a game admin telling an official how to call a game?

4) Why on earth is a coach at that level feel the need to "write a letter?"

Not worth the grief, just walk away the higher guy.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
As long as you work rec leagues, you'll run into stuff like this. Put the rec league crap behind you and try to move up the ladder.
This is true. I work several different youth and CYO leagues in this area, and they all have their own stupid little rules. They also want the games called differently at the same age-range (i.e. 3rd and 4th graders at one league wants more called than the 3rd and 4th graders in another league). I've had several complaints made against me at this one league, and so have other officials, but I just put it behind me. If they want to "scratch" me from their league, I won't care. I won't be the first, and probably won't be the last.

My 2 cents: There needs to be some sort of biddy league organization, whether by the state or nationally, that will dictate the biddy rules for all biddy leagues so there are no confusions for officials and coaches who officiate/coach several different leagues in an area.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
My 2 cents: There needs to be some sort of biddy league organization, whether by the state or nationally, that will dictate the biddy rules for all biddy leagues so there are no confusions for officials and coaches who officiate/coach several different leagues in an area.
Really? Why? Who cares? Rec league is not something that needs a governing body. If you don't like it, don't work it.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

I guess to me calling these games is totally different that calling games middle school or higher. I have zero desire to call these games. I too question the need to have real officiating at such a young age.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

1. Why would this get sent to your assignor?

2. Didn't really dawn on the the letter writer that the other team might not have actually had any double dribbles.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 12:12pm
M.A.S.H.

This reminds me of what a very respected (now retired) official from my area told me one time...

F-them, feed'em beans.

Hang in there...
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

A long time ago, I did a third grade rec league. There was one coach who always gave us problems.

That and he ran every play for his kid.

I hate that adults feel the need to ruin the experience.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 12:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
All rec leagues have different purposes and philosophies. Who's going to enforce your utopian ideal? Or are you joking?