The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

D1 game today

I attended a D1 game today, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The fans around me complained some, but not inordinantly, and the team that I wanted to win, did. It was a very interesting game for this ref-watcher, with several situations I'd like to discuss with the refs that worked, just to hear what they saw, and what they were saying to each other at certain times.

There was one interesting (to me) situation where V1 went up for a shot, H1 got a good clean block up top, but had a hand firmly planted in shooter's back, and there was some displacement. I could see it clearly even from up in the stands, as just happened to have a good angle. T called a foul (L would not have seen the hand), fans went ballistic. I loved it because I KNEW beyond the shadow of a doubt that 99.9% of them weren't looking below the ball.

The guy sitting in front of me kept rehashing his disgust, and expressing is incomprehension of the call. I finally tapped him on the shoulder and said, "The block was clean, but there was a hand in the back. That was the foul." He said (I'm not making this up!), "Oh, I wasn't looking there!" And then he looked kinda sheepish and said, "Well, anyway, I'm biased..." I said, "Of course you are, and that's a good thing, fans are supposed to be biased." Then he said, "Aren't you?" I said, "Yes, I'm biased for the refs, because I'm one".

After the game, the woman with him asked, "So would you have done a better job than them?" I said, "Heavens no, they are the best of the best. You got a very well reffed game!" I'm not sure she believed me, but she didn't say much.