The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Undershirt Question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56631-undershirt-question.html)

walter Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:04am

Undershirt Question

I don't have my books with me at the office but saw this last night and forgot to look it up. Team A is home and wearing white jerseys with navy blue numbers. A1 (#12) is wearing a white undershirt with the navy blue #12 on each sleeve. No manyfacturer logo is present. The color matches perfectly with the number on the jersey. Legal or not?

grunewar Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:08am

Rule 3-5, ART. 5 . . . Undershirts shall be a single solid color similar to the torso of the jersey and shall be hemmed and not have frayed or ragged edges. If the undershirt has sleeves, they shall be the same length. A visible manufacturer's logo/trademark/reference is not permitted on the undershirt.

What say you now?

asdf Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:11am

Nope...

Single solid color, hence nothing else permitted. (3-5-5)

walter Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 654373)
Rule 3-5, ART. 5 . . . Undershirts shall be a single solid color similar to the torso of the jersey and shall be hemmed and not have frayed or ragged edges. If the undershirt has sleeves, they shall be the same length. A visible manufacturer's logo/trademark/reference is not permitted on the undershirt.

What say you now?

I guess my question is does the number fit the definition? The number was obviously put on the shirt by someone but no manufacturer could be identified. I was there as an observer, but I told the official's last night I thought it was illegeal and they should not have allowed it. I guess the numbers fall under the "single solid color" and the "reference" wording in the rule. Thanks.

Jurassic Referee Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:50am

In Nevada, if the number on the undershirt doesn't match the number on the jersey, it's also a technical foul.:D

M&M Guy Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 654405)
In Nevada, if the number on the undershirt doesn't match the number on the jersey, it's also a technical foul.:D

What if both numbers are listed in the book?

fullor30 Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 654405)

Only if it's 7-11 in Vegas

Jurassic Referee Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 654424)
What if both numbers are listed in the book?

See NFHS rule 10-1-2(e).

Us rule book officials can always come up with sumthin'.

And if he takes that "T" shirt off in the visual confines of the court, he'd damnwell better do it without removing his jersey.

No mercy!

None, I tell ya!

M&M Guy Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 654432)
See NFHS rule 10-1-2(e).

Us rule book officials can always come up with sumthin'.

And if he takes that "T" shirt off in the visual confines of the court, he'd damnwell better do it without removing his jersey.

No mercy!

None, I tell ya!

Hmm...but if you charge the player's t-shirt number with the first T, and the player's jersey number with the second T when they remove both on the bench, does the player get to stay in the game because each number only has one direct T?

Inquiring minds want to know.

:D