The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Ball hit net from OOB (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56599-ball-hit-net-oob.html)

WVBasketballRef Wed Jan 20, 2010 07:12pm

Ball hit net from OOB

Is the ball dead when A1 takes the ball after a made basket and throws it toward A2, but the balll first hist the net. If so, where is the spot for the throw-in?

Jurassic Referee Wed Jan 20, 2010 07:33pm

No, the ball isn't dead. The net is in-bounds.

Clark Kent Wed Jan 20, 2010 07:34pm

Not 100% sure but I think only the back of the backboard is out of bounds on an inbound play. I'll have to check the reference (or lack there of) if one of the sagacious vets doesn't beat me! ;)

just another ref Wed Jan 20, 2010 08:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Kent (Post 653911)
Not 100% sure but I think only the back of the backboard is out of bounds on an inbound play.

You mean, the same as on any other play. Out of bounds is out of bounds. The throw-in has nothing to do with it.

Mark Padgett Wed Jan 20, 2010 08:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 653910)
No, the ball isn't dead. The net is in-bounds.

It's twue, it's twue! ;)

WVBasketballRef Wed Jan 20, 2010 08:40pm

Thanks

Thank-you

grunewar Wed Jan 20, 2010 09:42pm

Happened in my game tonight....

Play on......

Oh yeah, I had to flip the net down on he next dead ball too.

Doesn't seem to happen in my games too much. Shrug.

mutantducky Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:25pm

I remember being told that the net was out of bounds too. WRONGO! I wonder how that got started.

Nevadaref Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:50pm

RULE 4, SECTION 13 COURT AREAS
ART. 1 . . . The frontcourt of a team consists of that part of the court between
its end line and the nearer edge of the division line, including its basket and the
inbounds part of the backboard.

RULE 1, SECTION 10 BASKET SIZE, MATERIAL
ART. 1 . . . Each basket shall consist of a single metal ring, 18 inches in inside
diameter, its flange and braces, and a white-cord 12-mesh net, 15 to 18 inches in
length, suspended from beneath the ring.

fullor30 Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 653921)
You mean, the same as on any other play. Out of bounds is out of bounds. The throw-in has nothing to do with it.

There are six sides to a backboard and only one is out of bounds is how how I like to describe it

just another ref Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 653952)
There are six sides to a backboard and only one is out of bounds is how how I like to describe it

Well........yeah. And that one side is out of bounds, if a throw-in pass hits it........or any other live ball hits it, which is the point I was trying to make.

Clark Kent Thu Jan 21, 2010 01:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 653921)

My bad, I should have finished my thought. I was going to say that I knew that it was a violation on a throw-in if the ball goes through the basket without being touched or if it gets wedged between the rim and the back board. Both of which aren't violations when occur when the ball is live and in play.

Jurassic Referee Thu Jan 21, 2010 08:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 653937)
I remember being told that the net was out of bounds too. WRONGO! I wonder how that got started.

Probably by people who don't know the rules trying to act like they do.